Kayaba KA-1/or-2

Alright, moving right along. I cut some plastic on this thing today, and got the fuse basically mocked up. Don't have a clear plan on how I'm going proceed with this build, I'm just making it up as I go along. Decided to build the fuse like a balsa wood airplane. Cut out a profile, made some measurements off of my 3-views, and started hacking. Build up one side first, then make copies of the bulkheads for the other side.

post-4413-1244376599.jpg

I'm going to begin with the inverted V-8, but I'm working on a radial. I can always whack the front of this off and install that if the mood takes me there. Hardest part of this build is getting a 'fabric over former' look on the fuse and tail pieces. Guess I'd better come up with a plan for that shortly? Muhwhahahah. <_<

post-4413-1244377791.jpg

Last pic of the night from a different angle. Clock is ticking on this build now that I've started it.....so I hope to have this done within the next 2 weeks. Hopefully. <_<

More pics as things progress! Later;

post-4413-1244378059.jpg

You are too much. This is going to be a cool project. How about tissue soaked with white glue for the covering? Dope and fabric. Those pilots look maniacal.

Plant the seed and watch it grow... <_<

Heeeey everybody! Jumped on to post some pics I took last night. One day behind posting again, as I've been very busy knocking this sucker out. Got the rotors pretty much together, and the streamlined fairings for the LG looking pretty good. Not going to show that stuff until it's ready to install though. Don't have time as I'm on a self-imposed deadline to get this done in 2 weeks.

Should be getting my flight crew in the mail tomorrow so I can start posing them appropriately. Ahhh, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's where I was on Day-2. Getting the fuse covered up ready for 'planking'(to get the texture I want), and whomping on some engine panels. Got the intake in the front cowl mocked up, so the nose is ready to putty now that I have the engine panels on it. Whoohoo! Wanted to show ya'll how crappy this looks before I covered it all up. :P

post-4413-1244634584.jpg

Got a metal Hasegawa pilot in it to kinda scale it out. There's another entire layer of covering applied over what you see here as of tonight. Here's another angle of my 'pre-putty' nose. Making this up as I go along, so I'm not building anything in a particular order. I like that. :blink:

post-4413-1244634820.jpg

Looking at it from the rear. I'm almost finished 'planking' the rear of the fuse now, and all the engine and cockpit panels are now installed.(not in THESE pics though! :blink: ) Still looking kinda crude here, but I wanted to share some progress pics, eh?!

post-4413-1244635055.jpg

Sorry about the lighting, but I wuz kinda busy at the time. :P Another pic of it looking skanky and still in-process. It looks much better now all planked and smoothed.

post-4413-1244635309.jpg

Oh yeah Rigor,.....Here's the 'whirly-gig' sitting on top of my latest SR-71 plans. :blink: You can just see the plans I'm using at the bottom for this KA-1 for a size comparison. Phhhht, I spent about 2 hours today massaging some B-70 plans, and the wingspan on that is 39.3inches....about the length of this entire SR-71. Length, 69.75 inches. Oooooh, I can't wait. :P

More pics tomorow night.....Russ

post-4413-1244635674.jpg

Russ, this is all very cool but it looks like your metal, Tamiya pilot is relieving himself while standing in the rear cockpit of your whirly-gigger. Hawwwhawwww. You are the master speed builder for sure. I can't believe you're thinking of doing a 1/32 SR-71 but like all the others I can't wait to see it.