Dragon P-51D

ChrisS

Got a commission from Dog&Butterfly to build two PTO Mustangs.

Starting with this...

post-1-1242102557.jpg

2X Dragon P-51, Rutman wheel wells / cockpit elements, and spinner / props, BigEd PE sets, Squadron Vac canopies, Eagle Strike Decals, and Hobbydecal dry transfers.

Hopefully I'll be turning out decent examples of these two ships:

post-1-1242102709.jpg

post-1-1242102730.jpg

Hopefully the model won't be as blurry as that shot...sorry!

Should get started this weekend after I clear and clean the bench.

:D

In case anyone is wondering; I bought 3 of these kits w/AM with the nieve idea of doing a trio. After getting into one of them I realized that I'd bitten off way more than I could chew. My dream, as it were, is to have a diaorama depicting 4 mustangs from various squadrons of the 'Sun Setters' based on Iwo jima. These 2 will be in the forefront of the display.

Fred

Humble beginings...

The RRs are done (not opening panels so no detail or paint added)..

post-1-1242616065.jpg

And the new Rutman P-51D seats (which are stunning) here's a detail of one:

post-1-1242616069.jpg

Best Mustang D seat in any scale AFAIC...wicked good resin! I cannot wait to paint these puppies up!

Nooooyyyyccccccceeeeee mate

Ads

:blink: :blink:

Hey Chris...nice new wheels BTW :lol:

Will look forward to seeing how they all go together. Nice to see some good pics of JR's resin in action.

Cheers Matty

• 3 weeks later...

@Ads: Nope, Dog&Butterfly picked the schemes.

@Matt: Thanks for the nod to my new ride. Having way too much fun :blink:

Resin going in.

Rutman P-51D cockpit here, you'll see more later but it is his best work by far. Casting, masters, detail, and fit are all the best I've seen from Rutman.

Overview showing basic assembly of sidewalls and floors.

post-1-1244434166.jpg

Detail of sidewalls.

post-1-1244434176.jpg

The sunsheild needs to be sawn off, and all internal detail removed to get the sidewalls snug. Some of the rear combing around the canopy frame also needs to be thinned, nothing shocking, but lots of test-fitting needs to be done in order to insure a good fit and the proper amount of material being removed.

The windscreen fit on the Dragon kit is not very good (as I mentioned in my review of the kit here on LSP when it came out). I'll need to address this before I seal up the fuse halves. Anyone who's been there before me and can lend some tips about this fit would be appreciated. Here's a shot of the windscreen fit from my review.

windscreen.jpg

I'll be adding elements from the Eduard P-51D interior PE set to this as I go. Next step is to toss some paint on the interior and see where we stand.

Chris-

The canopy fix was shown in El Mariachi's build some time ago- Just search his name in the member build's section, and see page four of his build- Sorry, I do not know how to fool with links..........

Looking good so far- Jerry's stuff looks nice!!!!

THOR :blink:

I did not address the windscreen issue. I only made 2 new types of canopies.I did try the angled sanding method already suggested here and it seemed to work but of course you have to be very careful.

I made a master for the windscreen but have not heard back from the people that cast in clear resin yet so no progress on that. Anyone know of someone that casts in clear resin? I can't do that here.

JR

Ah right! Good old El Mariachi!! Here is that link to the 4th page...

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...ragon&st=45

I'm doing something fairly similar right now but confining all the shaping chores to the fuselage parts. I'm not sure I'll be able to get a snug fit without tampering with the windscreen part itself, but I'm trying :blink:

Looking GOOD Chris. I didn't know about the windscreen problem, but glad to know what the fix is when I get to it.

I decided not to attempt the N9 you sent me, and the chin scoop was the final straw :) so traded all my JR stuff for the #D56 I used on the project for my car vent. Just add the (N9) fee's (price & shipping) to the final bill.

BTW, who sells the Mastercaster sanding pads? Haven't been able to find them at the usual retailers.

Fred

Hi Fred, Hi Chris! Good job so far on the Mustangs... with your experience on the Hasegawa beauty... I am sure that these two will be really nice!

Fred, you can check out this link for the sanders: Click here

Cheers and happy modelling......... these sanders are the best thing to have ever hit our hobby in the last 10 years.... I can't imagine life without them now!

Alan B)