Mitsubishi J8M1

Guest Rigor
Expect nothing less from you Russ :P get out the 8"skill and jigsaw and start hacking away.Looking good thus far some neat work.Cheers Kevin

I agree :unsure:

Russ, you go through kits like a rabbit in a carrot patch but they still have very good quality. The last time I built kits with that kind of speed I was a teenager popping out the Revell 1/32 series and using Krylon or Rustoleum spray paint. Back then I was using tube glue and didn't care if the seams had gaps or not. I'd like to see some images of your overall collection whenever you get a chance. Keep up the good work and keep those images coming.

Hah hah!! :lol: Ohhh, I miss living in the south Wingman777, and hearing all those classic lines,....like"it's so dry, even the catfish have ticks". Hey!, I still use tube glue and Krylon....what duh heck?!!! Uhmm, don't have a collection, I give them away before they need their first dusting. To me, it's all about the research and building. And having FUN!!!

OK, it's Saturday morning and I got some stuff done that I want to share with ya'll. Getting ready to start slathering on the putty, so I'm going to pause and post some progress pics of this here "KAERU".(that's Japanese for frog...my nickname for this plane and the subject for my 'stylized' squadron marking. More on that later. :ph34r: )

First off is the cockpit. Still needs a gunsight and the automotive type 'hood-prop' for the canopy in front of the pilot, but until I get thru filling/sanding this is as far as I'm going. Oh yeah, had to lengthen the skid before I put the fuse 1/2's together too.

post-4413-1242515492.jpg

Here's a look inside. Ugh, I hate taking pics this close....shows my crappy paintjob off too well.

post-4413-1242515620.jpg

And the IP. Just a guess, and to show I made at least an effort to get something slapped up front there. :ph34r:

post-4413-1242515700.jpg

View from the rear. Got those 5 cooling slots scribed in, and my tailwheel fairing re-profiled and ready for putty.

post-4413-1242515783.jpg

Profile view to show how I'm going to re-profile the skid and fairing under the nose. Another little nit that's different from the Me-163. :ph34r:

post-4413-1242515893.jpg

View of the undersides. Still working on this area whilst I re-profile the front of the skid and the nose undersides.

post-4413-1242516466.jpg

Last pic before I trowel on the putty. Hope to this whittled down to something resembling a J8M1 later on tonight. More pics as things progress! :ph34r: Russ

post-4413-1242516567.jpg

Fantastic work Russ! This is going to great when it's done, and it won't just look like a Me 163 in Japanese markings either.

After reading this I'm tempted to restart my old Zero...

Kev

Bwhahah! :lol: Unless the Me-163 and this little toad hopper were sitting side by side, it WOULD look just like a green Komet with meatballs, Kevin!!!! (well, except for the canopy framing :ph34r: ) Until I put the kit pieces over some plans,..it had me completely fooled, or I'd of had 2nd thoughts about doing this. Good to see ya following along Matt,...where the heck you been,....playing with (whisper)...trains? :lol: heh heh.

Speaking of 2nd thoughts, the voices of the bad man in my head were cooing vivid dreams of distorted history/pigmentations of my imagination/warped delusions of what might have been.(I think I need a nap? :huh: ) I am now a huge fan of the flying wing. Now I ask ya'll, if a Japanese license version of the Me-163 isn't so far-fetched...what if they'd acquired some plans for a Gotha-229? Was putting together the remnants of the Jumo004's outta my Me-262 to put away for a rainy day, and the J8M1 was sitting right there,...and I added 1+1...and got 3. Something to make ya go, hmmmm.

(I wonder if Dave would disqualify something like this? :lol: )

post-4413-1242525489.jpg

Whoakay, it's now Sunday morning and my putty job has had a chance to dry overnite. Gonna start filing away at my 'blob-job' in a bit, but some reason I got diverted to hacking up the canopy in preparation of making it into a master for the new one I'm going to vacuform.

Now normally I'd have done this BEFORE putting the pilot in,....so I wouldn't have to work around him. But I didn't know how long the canopy was going to be until I got the fuse 1/2's together, and I had to have the pit in before I did that, and well,....actually I just forgot. :) No big whup, here we go. Canopy sliced.

post-4413-1242614141.jpg

Some stringers added to line it all up. I'm going to be filling this in with Milliput, inside and out. Not much to show today, just doing a lot of wet-sanding. More pics as things progress. Russ

post-4413-1242614393.jpg