VFS 1/24 P-47D

Fozzie

Hi all

thanks for the kind interest and comments you have made,here are a few more pic's on the slow progress that im making.I hope to have her finished by the summer fingers crossed.

_MG_6776.jpg

_MG_6774.jpg

_MG_6775.jpg

_MG_6778.jpg

_MG_6770.jpg

cheers Clive.

Hi all

thanks for the kind interest and comments you have made,here are a few more pic's on the slow progress that im making.I hope to have her finished by the summer fingers crossed.

_MG_6776.jpg

_MG_6774.jpg

_MG_6775.jpg

_MG_6778.jpg

_MG_6770.jpg

cheers Clive.

As an aside. wheel wells on all P-47's were yellow zinc chromate instead of interior green. I am not sure if it is too late to repaint them on not. Are you doing this as Gabby's aircraft? Make sure you do not have 28 kill flags with invasion stripes that cover the top of the wings! Email me if you want, there are some quirks about the markings of his aircraft, based on the number of kills. Also, if it is Gabby's aircraft, he very rarely flew with the racks on his wings as he flew fighter sweep missions almost exclusively

Dang...that is beautiful! Good job!

I know a lot of superlatives get thrown around on this site, but that might be the best rendition of the "Gabreski" paint job I have ever seen. The paint chipping and general wear and tear is spot on to my eye also. I lack the knowledge to say if it is completely "authentic", but it sure looks so to me.

I would love to build that kit, but sadly I simply don't have space for it.

Hi

thanks for the comments,i am building the Gabby Gabreski P-47D,unfortunatly for me i had already stuck the pylons on before as i was originally going to do the Duxford P-47,but because that one was so popular i decided to change the scheme to what it is now.I have had a hard time finding out about this bird because all the model plans i have on her are all different from each other,so i have done my best.There are no colour pic's of the Gabreski P-47 as i have been in touch with the Mighty 8th Museum so as for the wheel wells being yellow,green or anything other than those two know one knows for sure.I have references of the wheel bays being green on some and yellow on others so i stuck with the green.I also know about the kill marks on the side as his final P-47 had no invasion stripes on the tops of the wings.If you can throw anymore info my way then i would be greatful as i do like to get as much info as i can on my subjects.I was also told by the museum that he had a center line tank on his P-47 and may of carried the large wing tanks accross from the states in the transit flight but they could not be 100% on this as of the lack of info.

Clive.

Cheers Harvey for your info,but i have managed to get both the pylons off with minimal damage to the model.Fingers crossed i have no more scares like this as it was touch and go on one side,thought i was going to ruin a wing but its done.

Clive.

Hi all

im overwhellmed by all your comments thankyou very much,I had a bit of a problem with the old girl in that she never carried the pylons on her wings when Gabby Gabreski had her.So these had to come off,as originally i was going to make the Duxford bird.Well under the knife she went yesterday and today i filled,sanded and sprayed her back to how she was,now all is needed is the weathering over the new paint.The people who make this kit have kindly donated me the decals for the Gabreski bird to which im truely greatful,she will be posted up on the new website for Vintage Fighters as o when i get her finished.Here are a few pic's of the old girl now without her pylons.

_MG_6782.jpg

_MG_6779.jpg

_MG_6780.jpg

_MG_6784.jpg

_MG_6785.jpg

Thanks again for the interest and to all who left comments.

Clive.

Hi Clive.

Looking very good sir!

A couple of small points of interest.

The wheel wells would have been the yellow zinc cromate colour. There are colour photos of Gabbys D-25 being reloaded and this shows the interior area of the wing colour.

The P-47's were shipped over to the UK, and not flown on transit flights to the best of my knowledge.

The wing pylons were removable, and many aircraft of the 56th can be seen in photos with and without them. I also havent seen a photo of Gabbys D-25 with them fitted though.

Gabby, like all other pilots of the 56th FG and 8th Air Force,flew whatever type of mission he was ordered to fly. The 56ths missions are detailed in the Maclaren book "Beware The Thunderbolt".

For an aircraft that only had approximately an 8 week service life, it certainly went through many changes in that short time.

Theres also evidence to suggest the aircraft retained black id bands on the underside of the horizontal stabilisers for a time.

Keep up the good work.

Nige

P-47 Special Interest Group.

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

Cheers Nige

do you happen to know where i might find those pictures as im a little in the dark over this bird,i have nothing relating to Gabreskis bird what so ever so im just going on what i have in front of me.I have just redone the wheel wells so they are now yellow as to the center line tank well i have just weathered that as i do have a b&w pic of Gabreskis bird carring the center tank.

Clive.

Hi Clive.

I dont have the colour photo of Gabbys last Thunderbolt being reloaded to hand. ( I'm working away and wont be back at my references until July)

Theres a few photos in a thread on my website which may help you.

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=mod...5251&page=1

Theres also 5 build's of the VFS T'bolt running at the moment too.

Nige

P-47 Special Interest Group

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

Super job, Clive!

Gabby's P-47 scheme has been a hit with me since Monogram put out their Gabby D way, way back in the day.

I particularly like the contrast between the new and faded paint on the wing panels. Just super!

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi all

here are four pic's of the ole girl finished,im going to take some other pic's when all this bad weather goes away.

_MG_6832.jpg

_MG_6830.jpg

_MG_6829.jpg

_MG_6826.jpg

The engine can still be exposed as the cowling comes off so all is not wasted.More pic.s to follow.

Clive.