Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10

I read in some places that wheel legs of G-10 were further apart that in other versions, thus increasing wheel track. Any references to this?

What I refer to:

1. Book "Messerschmitt 109G" by Robert Peczkowski (page 65) in G-10 chapter introduction:

As compared to earlier versions the engine compartment was reshaped to take the new engine, and the main wheel legs were spaced further apart as in the K version. [...]

2. IPMS Stockholm - Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 in Detail:

Despite the seemingly identical configuration, the undercarriage of the G-10 and K-4 was miles away from that of the earlier variants. Some of the changes are visible here: undercarriage track was considerably widened, resulting in the prominent "gaps" between the leg and the inner end of the wheel well. Legs had been made thicker, and the wheel covers split into two-part assemblies.

Don't know what they're smoking, but other than the big tires and different hubs, I couldn't find anything to support the suggestion of different legs or changed landing gear installation. The type drawings don't have anything. And the mention of two-piece gear doors clearly means they aren't paying attention, as the doors were always two part.

And other comments are suspect too.

The "engine compartment " was not changed, other than accomodations for the left engine bearer and some plumbing.

And, as the wings on just about any mark of '109 (well, among the F,G,K) was interchangeable without modification, that means the landing gear were unmodified, otherwise they gear wouldn't fit into the wells, with only bumps for bigger tire clearance indicating anything is going on.

It is all hoowee.

And I looked at bunches of photos, and couldn't see ANY unambigious differences between '109Fs and 'Ks in strut angle or size.

I wonder how they came to this conclusion

Simple! Vigourous/indiscriminate copy and paste and poor/lazy research followed by complete ignorance of the correct advice will usually result in this. :lol:

There was no need to start the same discussion on this forum - on the other forum, others and I already gave you the same reply as Steve.

Radu

otherwise they gear wouldn't fit into the wells, with only bumps for bigger tire clearance indicating anything is going on.

yep, the bumps would have had to be further out on the wing and therefore larger.

I'm thinkin' 'that' woulda been a noticeable change :wub: