Roden SPAD VII - New decals released

Rowan

Hello Large Scale people..well modellers of large scale planes that should be - unless of course you're all giants? You're not are you? That would be just too scary.....

I've been lurking about for a while and it now seems as if I'm allowed to post as well - don't know how long that will last......

Anyway enough of the old toot.

I've recently started a new Decal enterprise called Pheon Models concentrating on WWI subjects and as I'm going to be covering 32nd scale, which seems to qualify hereabouts as mentionable, I thought I'd introduce myself - 'Rotary' Dave has already said a bit about the SE5s and Bristol Fighters I'm working on for the Wingnut releases and we are aiming to get these out in June - but I'll let you know more about those nearer the time (or you could scoot over to the Britmodeller Vendors Forum which is our shop window until our website is flying) I'd post a link but I'm not sure if that's the done thing on here?

Those of you who have the excellent Roden SPAD VII, but want some interesting (dare I say useable...) markings might want to consider our latest release for 14 different aircraft of the Escadrille Lafayette, SPA124 and the 103rd Aero Squadron. This is an extremely colourful sheet, as you can see:

32001Av2-2.jpg

also included is a sheet of cockades for French and two types of US markings:

32001B.jpg

Here's the options (ignore the central one in the middle row as I couldnt fit that one onto the 32nd sheet):

SPADPlanviews-1.jpg

Please don't take too much notice of the blue shades as they appear here - for some reason the jpegs don't like the actual colours we've used. The real thing is much more subtle!

There is a 16 page booklet of info on the units' history, ideas for model improvements, references and of course full details for each of the options on the sheet and six full colour sheets of sideviews, oh, and also a gloss colour postcard print of one of the sheet's options chosen at random (more are available if you want them). Price is £21.47 plus P&P. Payment by Paypal. If you're interested drop me an email at: pheon.models@hotmail.co.uk

The next 32nd sheet is for sixteen different Fokker DrIs of the four constituent jasta of JGII which I'm told should go into print tomorrow and should be with me in a week or so. More details when they're available - should dress up the Roden kit nicely and provide some oposition for all those Wingnut SE5s and Bristols!

Rowan

Those markings look wonderful Rowan. I've taken the liberty of moving your post here to the Vendor's Forum, where it more properly belongs.

Kev

Thanks Kev - I hadn't noticed this bit!

R

i'm not connected to rowan---and he does'nt need anyone to laud his products---their quality speaks volumes more eloquently than i could---but i know a knowledgable expert on W.W.1 markings when i see one. as a brief for instance, i spoke to him a few days ago about not spotting any of the (in 48th.) tiny 'sopwith' strut circular trademark decals on his startlingly good pup sheet. he immediately explained that although too tiny to be sensible in the smaller scales he would most certainly have them on his 32nd. sheets--and showed me one he had done--now i know this trademark well---having done them myself in onr third scale some years ago---and pheon decals will have them--and everything else---spot on. kudos to you rowan.

dave.

Rowan,

Have you considered making this announcement also in the wwi online group?

I am assuming you haven't already...

Hello Fred,

Whilst I'm a lurker there and have been for years, I've never posted - just seems to difficult! A couple of the chaps there have kindly mentioned my stuff, but frankly I was a bit taken aback by the lukewarm, even negative response from some of the 'usual suspects' who seem to do most of the posting there so I really didn't feel that welcome and have not bothered. On the other hand I have a number of customers from the list who saw the posts and emailed me - mostly lurkers like me I think! Its a bit of a shame but I'm reluctant to trespass on what some seem to regard as their private fiefdom - and negativity (seemingly portrayed as endearing grumpiness there) is such a turn-off as far as I'm concerned that I'd just rather not get involved. Life's too short!

i'm not connected to rowan---and he does'nt need anyone to laud his products---their quality speaks volumes more eloquently than i could---but i know a knowledgable expert on W.W.1 markings when i see one. as a brief for instance, i spoke to him a few days ago about not spotting any of the (in 48th.) tiny 'sopwith' strut circular trademark decals on his startlingly good pup sheet. he immediately explained that although too tiny to be sensible in the smaller scales he would most certainly have them on his 32nd. sheets--and showed me one he had done--now i know this trademark well---having done them myself in onr third scale some years ago---and pheon decals will have them--and everything else---spot on. kudos to you rowan.

dave.

Thanks Dave - you really are most kind and I'm a shy retiring sort of fellow! But who says I don't need anyone to laud my products? Laud away!!!!

I just wish that some of the promised reviews would appear on websites and the modelling press! I was hoping to get into the last issue of Windsock, but all the space was spoken for - for very good reasons, I might add - just an acident of timing, but Ray Rimell is doing a review for the next isue, so that will help, I'm sure - just a pity its only published bi-monthly. I know us frequenters of the web think everyone uses it the way we do, but I think there are still plenty of WWI modelling types who don't!

Having our own webite will help and that will be along ....eventually!!

• 2 years later...

Thanks Dave - you really are most kind and I'm a shy retiring sort of fellow! But who says I don't need anyone to laud my products? Laud away!!!!

I just wish that some of the promised reviews would appear on websites and the modelling press! I was hoping to get into the last issue of Windsock, but all the space was spoken for - for very good reasons, I might add - just an acident of timing, but Ray Rimell is doing a review for the next isue, so that will help, I'm sure - just a pity its only published bi-monthly. I know us frequenters of the web think everyone uses it the way we do, but I think there are still plenty of WWI modelling types who don't!

Having our own webite will help and that will be along ....eventually!!

Wind sock, I haven't seen one of those in decades. I remember one had to look for the thing, then look for any new power or telephone lines that might have been strung over an air field over night. You never landed at night. Not without a very very long arrester hook for those lines.

Hello Fred,

Whilst I'm a lurker there and have been for years, I've never posted - just seems to difficult! A couple of the chaps there have kindly mentioned my stuff, but frankly I was a bit taken aback by the lukewarm, even negative response from some of the 'usual suspects' who seem to do most of the posting there so I really didn't feel that welcome and have not bothered. On the other hand I have a number of customers from the list who saw the posts and emailed me - mostly lurkers like me I think! Its a bit of a shame but I'm reluctant to trespass on what some seem to regard as their private fiefdom - and negativity (seemingly portrayed as endearing grumpiness there) is such a turn-off as far as I'm concerned that I'd just rather not get involved. Life's too short!

I don't give any negative comments to anyone's models. Mainly, they are all better than I can do. To me it is a hobby of love, but the shadows of my planes will never grace the table tops of any model shows. I'm not as bad as it may appear, but I prefer my planes to be all closed up. Because of WnW's engine detail, I am going to use Tamiya's idea of using magnets. I will be placing them inside of the engines and place thin metal inside of the outside covers. so the magnets will work, but not be seen. It's worth a try. The small 'super' magnets are inexpensive.