RLM colors advice....

Porkbits

Hey, guys:

I'd post this question over on Guttorm's excellent Ju-88 detail thread, but I'm the New Guy, so can only post in General for the time being. :-)

So...which brand of paint do you guys use for your RLM colors? I typically use Model Master enamels, but I don't think they have staubgrau (for interior) and a couple of the other colors that I need for the Revell Ju-88. Xtracolor? Does Gunze offer a good lineup of RLM? Or another manufacturer that I don't know about? Or do you mix your own? Note that I live on the east coast of the States, so it would be nice if I didn't have to order from the UK (to save time and money), but I don't mind doing so.

Thanks so much....

Porkbits

PS--If this is a dumb/obvious question, sorry! I'm a German WWII aircraft newbie, so just point me in the right direction with a good kick in the $#%, if necessary.

Welcome to the forum, Porkbits.

Luckily the RLM colors are covered by almost all brands of paint. Personally i use either Xtra Color enamel or acrylic (available from Two Bob) or i use the Polly Scale colors. Both brands have great products and the shades are close to what the real colors look like.

Welcome to the forum, Porkbits.

Luckily the RLM colors are covered by almost all brands of paint. Personally i use either Xtra Color enamel or acrylic (available from Two Bob) or i use the Polly Scale colors. Both brands have great products and the shades are close to what the real colors look like.

Thanks so much, Erik.

I've never built in this large of a scale before, so I might be biting off more than I can chew. But with my twins due to arrive at the end of summer, I want to leave modeling (at least for a few years) with a big bang. :-)

In any event, I've used Xtracolor in a previous build and found the paint to be really thick and sticky. Is that typical of Xtracolor, or did I just get a bad batch?

Also, not familiar with Two Bobs. I see they have a site, but doesn't seem to support online purchase. Not a big deal, as I've used Wonderland in the past.

Cheers,

PB

Thanks so much, Erik.

I've never built in this large of a scale before, so I might be biting off more than I can chew. But with my twins due to arrive at the end of summer, I want to leave modeling (at least for a few years) with a big bang. :-)

In any event, I've used Xtracolor in a previous build and found the paint to be really thick and sticky. Is that typical of Xtracolor, or did I just get a bad batch?

Also, not familiar with Two Bobs. I see they have a site, but doesn't seem to support online purchase. Not a big deal, as I've used Wonderland in the past.

Cheers,

PB

Hello PB, welcome to LSP!

I use Xtracolor frequently, and I've found that I have to thin it way down. I use a 2:1 mix of lacquer thinner:paint. I spray it at about 12 -15 psi and I get good results. Your mileage may vary, depending on distance to surface, humidity, phase of the moon, etc. Xtracolor used to drive me nuts, as I wouldn't get anything resembling a decent finish. Once, I thinned it down (more that I usually do) the paint performed flawlessly.

I usually get it direct from Hannant's...

-randy

Hello PB, welcome to LSP!

I use Xtracolor frequently, and I've found that I have to thin it way down. I use a 2:1 mix of lacquer thinner:paint. I spray it at about 12 -15 psi and I get good results. Your mileage may vary, depending on distance to surface, humidity, phase of the moon, etc. Xtracolor used to drive me nuts, as I wouldn't get anything resembling a decent finish. Once, I thinned it down (more that I usually do) the paint performed flawlessly.

I usually get it direct from Hannant's...

-randy

Thanks, Randy! Glad to be on board (at least for the next few months).

2:1 ratio...wow, that would explain why I had problems. And maybe because I was using the wrong type of thinner (mineral spirits)...? Or is lacquer thinner the same as mineral spirits? As you can see, I'm not very bright.

PB

Mineral spirits are fine, lacquer thinner is a bit "hotter".

I use lacquer thinner to speed the drying time a bit. As it is, I still give it at least 24 hours to fully cure - sometimes 2-3 days, especially if it's the rainy season here in California... Some guys in the local modeling club use Floquil Diosol, and they say it works like a champ. I don't even know where to get that stuff anymore - I didn't know Floquil even made the stuff anymore. Didn't PollyScale buy Floquil and take over their line of paints?

Mineral spirits are fine, lacquer thinner is a bit "hotter".

I use lacquer thinner to speed the drying time a bit. As it is, I still give it at least 24 hours to fully cure - sometimes 2-3 days, especially if it's the rainy season here in California... Some guys in the local modeling club use Floquil Diosol, and they say it works like a champ. I don't even know where to get that stuff anymore - I didn't know Floquil even made the stuff anymore. Didn't PollyScale buy Floquil and take over their line of paints?

Got it. Thanks.

OK, two more questions and then I swear I'm done (for now):

1. Xtracolor sells two hellblau shades--RLM 65 and RLM 78. I want 65 for the underside of the Ju, correct? (without getting into a debate about how "correct" the Luftwaffe colors are for any given paint brand ;) )

2. The only staubgrau (interior color) that I can find in Xtracolor is listed as an RAL color, not RLM. Is this OK to use? Or too "modern?"

PB

Hello and welcome.

Does Gunze offer a good lineup of RLM? Or another manufacturer that I don't know about? Or do you mix your own?

If you prefer using enamels, what the other two say is sound advice.

If you want to try Acrylics, Gunzys has a good range. You also get get the added ease of clean-up and it's slightly less toxic (Don't drink it- it tastes icky)

I've only recently switched to Gunzy after being dis-satisfied with trying to mix Tamiya to get either German or Allied colours to look right.

If you are going to try Acrylics, be very careful when putting different brands over the top of each other, they don't get along. I usually thin mine down about 30% (Tamiya acrylic thinners) and use about 20 pounds of pressure.

You made already be aware of all this.

Good luck,

Keith.

Some guys in the local modeling club use Floquil Diosol, and they say it works like a champ. I don't even know where to get that stuff anymore - I didn't know Floquil even made the stuff anymore. Didn't PollyScale buy Floquil and take over their line of paints?

Floquil has somehow categorized itself as model railroad paint.

Floquil Polly Scale is the acrylic, regular Floquil is enamel.

I don't believe they make DioSol anymore as it caused brain rot...

...or something ;)

Thanks, Keith.

I'll probably stick with enamels since that's what I'm used to, although I sometimes throw in acrylic, for example, when I need to paint a smaller part white (since white enamel is hard to work with). But I definitely proceed with caution when mixing acrylics with enamels, and using different brands.

So no one has info about which RLM to use for the underside? And the nature of staubgrau seems to be a Big Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle variety. ;)

PB

So no one has info about which RLM to use for the underside? And the nature of staubgrau seems to be a Big Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle variety. ;)

PB

Welcome to LSP PB! Definitely RLM 65 for the underside. I don't think 78 was in use at that stage of the war.

Kev

I don't believe they make DioSol anymore as it caused brain rot...

...or something....

Mike I hope you're not speaking from personal experience! ;) :lol:

That DioSol was scary stuff..... I found their paints wouldn't cure properly if lacquer thinner were substituted. Stayed punky, sticky and wouldn't dry. And I kept hearing horror stories of people getting the jitters and liver cancer and such from long-term use. I was really glad when they switched to regular enamel in the 90s. Their Camouflage Colors were and are my favorite..... too bad they're no longer made. I believe either Testors or their parent company bought them out and shut the military paint production, since the Model Master line was already there.

PB, back to topic: Model Master's RLM 66 is the right color for most Luft interiors, at least from 1940-41 or so. Most of their Lufwaffe colors are really good but I don't like their 70 & 71. IMO those colors look too pale & washed out. Xtracolor I haven't had any experience with, but they're supposed to be very good. Worth getting through mail-order! :lol:

Awesome! You guys rock.

So RLM 66 for the interior, 65 for the underside, and I'll choose a non-Model Master brand for the splinter camo (either Xtracolor or White Ensign). Ray, I'll definitely check out White Ensign's paints. If you "say" they're OK, I'm sure they'll also be fine for me (ie, you know what you are talking about; me = clueless). I'm assuming White Ensign delivers to the States.

I might also get a new airbrush for this build, maybe an Iwata Exclipse HP-CS (the gravity feed cup on my Badger is teeny tiny). ;)

PB

Hi RLM 65 undersite and

RLM 71 and RLM 70

All Model Master the interior I did it whit Gunship Gray number 1723E did not have the right color at home lol.

Hope you can find it in the brand you use here a pic from taken in the garden yesterday.

Thy cockpit you can keep it a little bit lighter the color it looks dark very fast in a small area.

post-5365-1239664788.jpg