Ki-84 Type 4 "Frank"

DaveJ

Good work Dave. While I haven't used Montex masks, I think the beauty of their system is that you can do it either way - positive or negative masking. The way you've done it seems sensible enough to me, and will probably be simpler in the long run. Good to see this one progressing.

Kev

Good work Dave. While I haven't used Montex masks, I think the beauty of their system is that you can do it either way - positive or negative masking. The way you've done it seems sensible enough to me, and will probably be simpler in the long run. Good to see this one progressing.

Kev

Or maybe in my case... Positively negative? ;)

I had quite the busy day today!

I finally got everything masked off as best I could, so the base colors were applied. These are Tamiya JA Gray on the belly and JA Green on the upper surfaces with Alclad II White Aluminum for the nekkid bits. I know many of these had NMF bellies but I decided to go this way instead.

BasePaint.jpg

Then, mostly because I'm like a kid at Christmas, I just had to pull the masks off to see how it turned out! There are several areas where I had some bleeding under the masks but I should be able to fix those well enough. Overall I'm quite pleased considering this is my first attempt at masking markings like this.

MaskOff1.jpg

MaskOff2.jpg

MaskOff3.jpg

And here's the belly:

BellyMaskOff.jpg

What do you think? Workable?

Niiiiice Dave! :blink: I'm liking the idea of using those masks,....it doesn't hide any of that beautiful rivet detail Hasegawa put into this kit. Veeery nice. GREAT choice for markings, can't wait to see the next progress pics as the layers of paint go on. Looking suweeet buddy! Later, Russ

No stickers at all on this one?

Kev

There will be very few, if any, decals on this one. I have to look at the sheet to see what if anything I might use, but these masks are rather comprehensive!

...can't wait to see the next progress pics as the layers of paint go on.

Me, either!

So without any further ado....

MEATBALLS!

MeatballsOne.jpg

MeatballsTwo.jpg

I wish I could say they came out perfectly, but they didn't. The Hinomarus are all pretty good but the stripes on the tail have several areas where bleeding occurred. Some of this I'll be able to fix. Some of I will proclaim "weathering" and that'll be it. :lol: I also forgot just how dainty Tamiya paints can be. Normal handling of the model has scratched through the base colors in several areas, so that'll have to be fixed as well. If they were smaller scratches (or if I had a NMF undercoat) they'd be perfect for weathering, but such is not the case. Still, I'm pretty stoked at how it's looking so far!!

Next up is the trickiest part.. all the small yellow bits. Gulp. post-3154-1249952273.gif

Aaaannnnnd here are the tricky yellow bits.

YellowOne.jpg

YellowTwo.jpg

YellowBelly.jpg

Seems each new area I painted left me with five more things to fix, but it's been a worthwhile endeavor all the same. Funny, when I looked at the profile on the Montex sheet I thought that the animal was some sort of deer or gazelle. Nope. I've painted little yellow bunnies on my model. :lol:

Wow, that looks great! I love the way you've already captured lots of variation in the color and finish. This is going to turn out really nicely. And from my point of view, I'd say you don't have much to "touch up" here, tho only errors I see I would "use" towards a weathering pass :lol:

Really nice work Dave.

Dave, that has turned out really nice mate! I like the masking... if I may allow myself... you might want to go over the entire aircraft with the highest number polisher (I use the grey half moon cresent polisher from Mastercaster's) to blend the paint edges and give it a sheen. It helps to level out the surface and add luster... sometimes with masks there is a small edge around the mask edge. This is turning out nicely!

Cheers and happy modelling!

Alan