Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DaveJ

Ki-84 Type 4 "Frank"

Recommended Posts

Steal away Dave! :rolleyes: This was my first Japanese plane so I just winged it.

 

That cockpit is looking good and that pe panel is awesome.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Dave...hope you enjoyed your break. I like Kevs idea for the Tamiya smoke...I'll give that a whirl myself. It made it look very nice. Some pastel powders work nicely as well. The IP and seat do look incredible. PE seats give a wonderful scale thickness effect...well worth it.

 

Cheers Matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

 

In between fiddling with the rest of the cockpit on my Frank, I started on the engine. The Eduard set includes one metric butt-ton of PE for the engine on this thing! <_<

 

So far just the first set of cylinders with the Eduard wiring harness. Getting all those wires in the right place just might be the end of me.

 

EnginePEone.jpg

 

I'm probably gonna take a bunch of pics of this engine going together so you can see just how much PE is in there before I enclose the vast majority of it in the cowling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit is finished!

 

Before seat:

TubOne.jpg

 

After seat with PE belts:

TubTwo.jpg

TubThree.jpg

 

I could've kept fiddling with it but I think it looks pretty good, and the smallish opening in the fuselage limits how much can be seen anyway. Now it's back to that engine....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHOA!!!! :rolleyes:..................WHOA!!! :rolleyes:

 

 

 

Uhhhhh,......whoooooah. :rolleyes: Look out everybody,...Dave is coming thru. THAT, looks flipping killer dude!!! Daaang, I shoulda done my pit in NMF. "Sparkly,...very sparkly"(in my best 'Rainman' imitation voice). Sheesh, can't wait to see the next progress pics of that engine. GO, Dave,...Go!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WHOA!!!! :rolleyes:..................WHOA!!! ^_^

Uhhhhh,......whoooooah. :rolleyes: Look out everybody,...Dave is coming thru. THAT, looks flipping killer dude!!! Daaang, I shoulda done my pit in NMF. "Sparkly,...very sparkly"(in my best 'Rainman' imitation voice). Sheesh, can't wait to see the next progress pics of that engine. GO, Dave,...Go!!

 

Thanks Buddy!

 

I can only do a little bit with that engine at a time before I go all cross-eyed. :rolleyes:

 

So after a bit of time on the engine... I just buttoned up all this stuff.

PrimaryOne.jpg

PrimaryTwo.jpg

 

Sure is a great fitting kit! I'll only have some minimal sanding to get everything ready for some primer. Just jumped together. I love it when that happens... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slick looking cockpit Dave! You are right, this kit practically builds itself. How are you handling the flaps? They were about the only problem area on this kit IMO.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slick looking cockpit Dave! You are right, this kit practically builds itself. How are you handling the flaps? They were about the only problem area on this kit IMO.

 

Matt

 

Truth be told, Matt, I haven't handled the flaps at all yet! :rolleyes: I just sorta got carried away last night and started gluin' stuff together. About how I usually proceed on a build...

 

A small update for tonight before sleep claims me.

The main gear doors are rather plain on the inside, so Eduard offers a solution:

GearDoorsOne.jpg

 

And the main gear bays are decently detailed OOB, so Eduard allows you to go totally insane trying to line the whole things with multiple layers of etched. This is only partially begun but it was enough for one night, especially after a couple of hours on that engine....

MLGetchOne.jpg

 

G'night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for a progress report on this engine i keep talking about; otherwise known as my descent into madness. :rolleyes:

 

SO. First I had to add this plate to the back of the front cylinders at which point the rear cylinders could be added.

 

Like so. Can't hardly see it? Yeah, I know.

EngineProgress1.jpg

 

At which point the wiring could be threaded, bent and glued into place. Please don't look at which goes to which since any engine wired this way would never start!

 

EngineProgress2.jpg

EngineProgress3.jpg

 

Then I added eight of these little spacer doodads to the front row of cylinders. Each one cost me one year off my life.

 

EngineProgress4.jpg

EngineProgress5.jpg

 

There are still just under forty pieces of PE left to add to this engine. Forty. Then I have to figure out if there's any way on Earth I can actually paint the bloody thing! The only other time I used this much PE on an engine I did the main painting first, but sticking the PE on it afterwards was a real pain, so this time I'm trying to build it all first. This may end up being a bad idea.

 

Believe it or not, for all my dramatic ramblings I actually really enjoy working with these little bits of metal! I get all into a zen-like trance or something..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eduard stuff looks pretty nice Dave...in a way its either something you use to get another level of detail or its something that adds another dimension to what you're building. Some of these PE sets are almost kits in themselves.

 

Looks great though...the seat is much better than the kits offering.

 

Cheers Matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FORTY more pieces!!! ;) You...are...a MADMAN!! he he. Hey, That's a tight looking motor buddy. I just put my first PE pieces ever on some pilots, and went gah-gah over 4 pieces. I can only gaze in wild wonder..... :ph34r: Very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×