1/32 Hasegawa P-40E

Allok

Seeing as it is indeed April in New Zealand, I thought I'd kick this GB off with a kit that I have been dying to build.

Going to do it mostly OOB exept for some RooDecals and belts.

RNZAFP40.jpg

Hi keith

Nice Choice in camo.

Just a heads up, if you are doing a P 40E in the "Sand & Spinach" camo,

it will be from RAF stock supplied to the RNZAF.

The paint will be the US Equivalent system (similar to what you painted your Buffalo)

and equipment in cockpit will be RAF (eg TR 1133/1143 radio system (push button),

Sutton harnes etc). Some of these first aircraft were given to 14 Sqn (previous 488 Sqn ex Singapore)

squadron code HQ but only up until 1943.

As far as I am know the RAF Supplied P 40E's never went overseas, used primarily for training/conversion.

However No 15 Squadron was sent to Tonga in Oct 1942 to take over ex USAAF P 40E's but these would have been

OD/Neutral grey and similar markings to you photo (white stripes etc), sqn code JZ

Most squadrons rotated from the E's to K/M/N's until conversion to the F4U

Hope that helps

Alan

Hey Keith! :rolleyes: Gaaah, ya beat me to it this time,...I was going to hack up one of these to make into an RAAF P-40N. Decided to practice on a Revell kit first instead. I got a book with a couple of pics of these NZ Warhawks in flight, and I darn near ended up doing this exact version too! :rolleyes: Very cool, and a great subject. Can't wait to see some progress pics of this kit going together.(so I can see if an 'N' version is doable) Later, Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My other builds seem to have stalled. I am struggling to find the time/space/motivation to do a quick build but I'm itching to get this in the cabinet...

So here's the start.

Pictures1.jpg

Nice crisp, straight forward cockpit with some lovely detail. I also like the seat, one of the best I've seen.

I'm going to drop the elevators so I've pushed the stick forward.

• 6 months later...

I'm going to display my plane with the flaps down. Additional detailing is required:

Pictures011.jpg

Pictures012.jpg

Pictures013.jpg

Pictures014.jpg

Check out the Dave-patented fuselage gap fix.

Pictures016.jpg

Seeing as the aircraft in my first post seems to be an E painted to look like a K, I have decided to modify my kit to represent a P-40K-15.

Tail extension required:

Pictures09.jpg

Pictures010.jpg

Check out the Dave-patented fuselage gap fix.

Pictures016.jpg

Wow! Kinda cool to have something of mine used! Especially since my stuff usually qualifies for the "how not to do it" references....

Love the scratch work for the flaps! It's also nice to see this project resurrected. Keep the updates coming! :thumbsup:

Happy New Year Keith, and the P40 is looking great, and all the more special being an RNZAF aircraft. I've been meaning to send you a PM re re New Zealand equivilants of some of the commercial products often referred here such as Future, I'll send this thru shortly, in the meantime keep up the great work,

Kind Regards Brent

• 2 weeks later...
Construction is now drawing to a close. Up on wheels for a publicity shot,

Pictures027.jpg

Looks great. I have built 2 of these kits and they are a joy to build. My question is what is that fairing thing that is above where the horizontal tail meets the fuslage. Never seen that before (or never noticed it anyways)

Jeff