32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Guys...........well I tore myself away from it this morning and then.....

Whilst I was mowing my lawns this afternoon when I heard a low sounding helicopter overhead....................guess what, I looked up and it was the object of my obsession at the moment!

She was landing in the park over the road. My wife and son came running over to let me know and we grabbed the camera and crossed over to the park.

Aparently a guy had cut his hand in half, dont know what with, poor guy.............he even walked to the helicopter.

Anyway they didnt muck around...................

IMG_0085-1.jpg

IMG_0088-1.jpg

IMG_0089-1.jpg

All the inspiration I needed!!!

Cheers

Anthony

Great moment for you!! I love when things like this happen to me. I think of them as God smiling at me. Not to make light of the poor sod with the injured hand,hope things turned out for the best for him!

Your work on this little Helo keeps me tuned in as always. I love your solutions.

J

• 1 year later...

Ok so a small update. Actually the photo dosent actually show the time that went into getting her to this stage.

I have a few projects on the go at once....hope this is normal!

I now have the centre windscreen frame accurately centered and glued in place. I had to spend a lot of time figuring out how far the frame rebated back in so that it will all line up with the vac windscreen fitted.

The floor was permanently glued in place, this now allows me to build up the photoetch centre consul.

The top 'eyebrow' windows were also measured up with my vernier calipers and the inside edge trimmed to make both windows of equal size/shape. They are now ready for final framing to be added.

Finally the small triangular piece at the forward door opening was measured and made out of 2 pieces of card to represent the door edge lip. The panel line running down the front pillar where that attaches was tidied up with a superfine razor saw blade and now only the bottom edge needs the superglue sanded back to blend.

Wpac062.jpg

So....slowly but surely, work proceeds.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Oh wow, I've just stumbled over your outstanding build and am extremely pleased I did. This is wonderful stuff. If you've taken so much time and patience, I for one, can't wait to see what magic you will weave with the paint.

Outstanding work sir.

Grant.

PS: I bet Mr Surfacer loves you ...

• 3 months later...

Ok chaps

Here we go. I am a but unsure where I left off last time but this is what I have recently been working on.

I made a new centre verticle frame for the windscreen as I needed to tweak its position in 2 areas (in the verticle alignment and it was also rebated in too far to accept a vac screen and line up with the outside fuse)

bk014.jpg

I have also started adding the fine mesh in the 'boat' type housing above the cockpit. You probably cant see it here but I have the plastic wafer thin to simulate the skin thickness. I am presently in the process of thinning the other side. A big challenge was finding the right 'weave' of mesh to match the actual machine. Fortunately I found a scrap in my spares box that miracously matched perfectly!

bk022.jpg

Because I had glues the floor into the stbd side of the fuse I could proceed to fill this area with superglue and blend with my friend Mr Surfacer. I had to be careful so as not to loose the door seal detail. Once the 2 halves are glued together the whole lower/back end can be sorted out.

bk027.jpg

Next up was the lower forward door opening, This needed to be replaced again with a better one as I was not overly happy with the shape. I laminated 2 pieces to replicate the door rebate coming up from the floor, built the outer skin up t continue following the fuse contour. Finally a buff, rescribe of the panel line with my photoetch saw and a final spray with Mr Surfacer again to check for imperfections.

bk012.jpg

bk024.jpg

And an overall final shot

bk023.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys and its good to be back on the BK...as well as the A-4K!

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony, that looks awesome. I see Medvac here a lot. Our local hospital has a helo pad in a parking lot at ground level so every time she lands/takes off...is a beautiful sight. Aviation wise, but I feel sad for the poor folks that gets the back seat ride.

I like your primer work as well. Very smooth and clean like rest of the work. :)

Oh, and good to see her back on the bench. :thumbsup: