32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Anthony in NZ

Hi Guys

Been a while since I last posted any of my work here. I know there are a couple of Helo modellers here and thought this may be of interest to a couple of you.

I have had a thread going over at ARC since the project beginning and here is where it is at now http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=156384. If you are interested to see how I got here, take a look. I will keep you guys updated as I go.

Here is where I am at now

I have been concentrating my efforts on the front fairing (in front of the engine cowl). I still wasnt convinced that I had the shape 100% correct......so down to see the real one again with my part! I was correct the sides needed to be a little flatter and the front 1/3rd has a ridge down the centre.. Back home I go and re-contoured the fairing....now I was happy with it!

Firstly, here are some pics of the bird I am doing, our local Rescue Helicopter whom I admire for the amazing work they do. As well as having 3 mates rescued in it last year!!!

IMG5480-1.jpg

IMG4357.jpg

There is a panel line that seperates the front and rear sections. Firstly I tried rescribing it but that was ugly due to all of the superglue/filler in it. Even with using a razor saw blade as well as a scriber, it came out uneven and chipped a little. So I ended up getting my razor saw and cutting it in the 2 sections which was quite tricky for me due to the angles in it and keeping it all even. Once I had the 2 halves I shimmed the 2 faces with plastic card and carefully sanded/shimmed/sanded/sanded/tested/shimmed/sanded.......... What a tedious job, but finally I had two matching surfaces. I buffed the edgesto round them off slightly as per the original and MEK'd the 2 together. When dry I sanded and polished the whole thing to even it all up. I am working on the top of the fairing now, I have re-shaped it (again!) and am building the top up to match the lower inside cowl profile.

IMG_7434.jpg

IMG_7436-1.jpg

All that is left to do now is open the square up on the sides and add mesh as well as other details on it.

I know it dosent look like much but it actually took me 3 or 4 days to get right!!!

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg

As usual with me..........slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks for dropping by for a look.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments

It sure is a labour of love this build, especially splicing an EC-145 kit into it to make the BK more accurate. And I MUST say, it has been nice working in 32nd scale again! After this I am going to accurize and convert the Revell Huey (thanks for the kit Oliver aka Shark64) into a civil 412.....then a 32nd Jetranger..........etc. You know how it goes.

Thanks again

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I went over your ARC modeling thread of this bird, thanks to your link.

That's a very impressive build you're doing with the BK-117.

A good idea to use parts of the excellent EC145 kit - next to all the scratchbuilding!

I didnt know the old basic BK117 had shape issues, i've never build it - yes on the stash, ofcourse.

Now i know... Are you going to use the vacform nose on the BK-117 fuselage?

Keep posting also in this forum!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. I am like you, and as much as I love seeing a beautifully built 109 or 190 etc it it nice to have a change of pace. Even my wife is interested for once!

Peter, thanks mate. Yes the EC parts modified gives a more accurate result than the basic BK kit. I am working with a guy in Germany who is a master at photoetching and has done lots of BK extras so far for an upgrade kit he is doing. I am making some masters along the way for him so anyone can produce an accurate BK-117. I now have the people who market the Westpac Helicopters here in NZ wanting one built for them as well as looking at the possibility of them funding a kit/upgrade set with their markings in itto sell. I really had no idea there would be so much interest in this model!

I am going to make a master for a new windscreen and top "eyebrow" windows to be vac formed from for those who decide to do what I have done. However I will not be making a new vac nose (pointy type) on this particular one.

Thanks for taking the time to look

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Well gents

I have been working on this birds lower winch bracket and even MORE work on that upper fairing......again!

Ok, so here is the winch system used on most Kiwi BK's

IMG_4404a.jpg

IMG_4382a.jpg

And here is the lower mounting bracket I have started building........wish I had the confidence/skills to do it in brass like Oliver (Shark64). Maybe on the next build????

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7491.jpg

The bracket is 21.5mm long and 6.5mm deep made with 10thou plastic card. An edge of fine strip was placed around the outer edge and then a 4mm disc was punched out using my Waldron set then a 2.5mm hole in the centre was punched out. After that the other holes were marked out and drilled and then reamed out to the correct dia. I had to sand it all smooth and then splash some Mr Surfacer around all the jouns and buff it all back smooth. As you can see I still have the rest of the structure to do now.

I have done a little more tidying up of the airframe as well as those details on the upper fairing to match the real one. The square opening where my mesh is to go is wafer thin......got to be careful I dont crack it!

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers Anthony

Small update regarding the winch.

I have now made the top bracket and have placed the 2mm rod between the two. This part took a lot of trimming and adjustment to sit perfectly vertical and 4.8mm from the fuse side.

I used 10thou card to make the top bracket and carefully drilled and reamed out the myriad of holes in it. I am really happy how good it came up and looks 'spot on' to the eye. Bracket still needs a little bit of minor tweaking etc but is essentially 99% done.

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

Sitting all square to the fuse through each plane...............finally

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Small update regarding the winch.

I have now made the top bracket and have placed the 2mm rod between the two. This part took a lot of trimming and adjustment to sit perfectly vertical and 4.8mm from the fuse side.

I used 10thou card to make the top bracket and carefully drilled and reamed out the myriad of holes in it. I am really happy how good it came up and looks 'spot on' to the eye. Bracket still needs a little bit of minor tweaking etc but is essentially 99% done.

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

Sitting all square to the fuse through each plane...............finally

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony.

Your helo just rocks!!!!

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thanks Guys

Quick update. I have completed making the mounting brackets, bevelled all of the edges to look like the pressed alloy around the holes etc. I finally like to brush a little Mr Surfacer 1000 around all the joints to check for gaps etc and the edges are easily buffed back to smooth.

IMG_7882.jpg

On to the next piece and thanks for looking

Cheers

Anthony