Heritage Aviation's 1/24 Lancaster

Drof88

With my Beaufighter stalled (although i still don't know why) i thought i'd get myself another vacuform kit to take my mind off things. So at first i thought of a large scale fighter, but then there's plenty of plastic kits of fighters...

So then i started thinking naughty thoughts of large scale bombers... And ended up buying Heritage Aviation's 1/24 Lancaster!!

First impression- 'Holy mother this is HUGE!!' followed by 'she's gonna kill me' ;) :unsure:

Right... The kit arrived in a HUGE box containing 4 sheets of vacuum formed parts, a big bag of resin bits and a bag of whitemetal bobs.

The kit supplies markings for VN-N (R5689), a Lanc from 50 Squadron. On September the 18th 1942 this aircraft took off from Swinderby airfield, Lincolnshire, on a 'gardening' (laying anti-shipping mines) sortie. It was hit and badly damaged, crash landing South of Thurlby airfield, Lincolnshire, when both port motors failed as the crew was preparing to land.

On first inspection everything seemed okay, with just a couple of minor dents on the vacuum formed parts. And so i started cleaning up a few of the resin and whitemetal bits, filling the usual air bubbles and giving my arms a good workout with all the sanding ;) !!

I've now trimmed one of the fuselage halves so i can make a start on scratching the interior- i'm gonna need plenty of plastic card for this :blink:!!!

* I'm also keeping a 'sort of blog' on the build which is updated roughly every monday (usually i can only get to the workshop on Sunday) if anyone wants to floow in more detail

http://www.freewebs.com/themodelhanger/124thlancaster.htm

Now, on with the build!!

First photo is of the resin bits cleaned up so far (ignore the instrument panel, and the whitemetal U/C leg has now been finished)

post-4562-1236601028.jpg

Below is a photo of one of the main wheels after cleanup- thank goodness i've got plenty of filler :unsure:

Also pictured is the RR Merlin 25 i'm detailing to go on show in one of the nacelles

post-4562-1236601435.jpg

post-4562-1236601483.jpg

And the trimmed fuselage half, all ready to be detailed!!

More details when i've made a bit of headway on the interior detailing... I can see this one taking a few months :unsure:

-Dan

post-4562-1236601738.jpg

Luckily my dad has let me build her in his workshop (so he can have a play too :blink:), but as for where she's going when finished....

Umm....

... I still don't know :unsure:!! I'm looking at moving out within the few years so hopefully by the time she's finished i'll either have a place of my own or dad can keep it at his house for a while.

Derek- that's what i'm banking on, as soon as one annoys me i move back to the other ;)