Ki-43 "Oscar"

Hey Russ, that's so cool. Did a bit of control line stuff myself when I was a kid. I knackered the plane but the motor was OK, so I bolted it to the rotary clothes line, prop and all, and fired it up. Man it made that thing spin like a top! Even Mum thought it was cool until she realised it was leaking fuel all over her sheets...

:rolleyes:

Kev

Awesome Russ! That control line stuff takes me back. When I was a kid, my dad and I went to the local r/c field where the had several u-control concrete circles. We regularly crashed my dad's .035 planes. What a thrill. :rolleyes:

BTW, I feel much better about that pilot now, thank you.

Matt

Heeeey, I'm gonna have to try that Kev! :ph34r: I still get a kick outta making AC in 1/6th scale; unfortunately most don't survive, as I seem determined to make them fly also. Getting REAL hard to find a place to fly em these days. :rolleyes:

Whelp, got my pilot painted and ready to stuff into the pit tonight! Whoohoo! Already got the fuse zipped up, and the wings 'n stuff on,...so I'll have some pics of this Oscar sitting next to FRANKenstein by tonight. Ooooh yeah.

Here he is drying before I put a flat-coat on him. I think he's a non-com of some sorts, but dunno., I just liked the insignia.

post-4413-1237731819.jpg

post-4413-1237731829.jpg

As I'm going to be making a 'late' Oscar, I've been cutting up the cowl flaps and fuse sides to accept an 'ejector' type exhaust. Kit comes as an 'early' version,...but all the parts are there for conversion. Don't get to use the cool resin cowling though, as the intake is a mite different. BLAST! More pics later on today. Russ

Yeah Matt, I've learned to use 180 pound 'swordfish' line for these big honkers...as a few have 'gotten away'! :rolleyes: Wouldn't have crashed the D-VIII if I wasn't trying to fly it inverted. :ph34r: (just had to try,...ya know?)

Uhhhhh, no wonder I couldn't figure out what rank I made my army pilot. He's not an army non-com,...he's a navy lieutenant! :) :rolleyes: Got that fixed last night. whew. Got a bit done on the '2-gunned terror', in spite of the fact I've been shamelessly chasing women and acting the fool. heh heh. Ended up using the resin cowling anyway, despite having to hold it under hot water to un-warp it. Got my new exhaust cut-outs hacked in, (I'm doing an early-late version of this Ki-43II with the rearward facing collector) and got it sitting on it's gear. Whoopdeedoo.

Tucked a bit of tissue into the pilots collar to see how tough it'd be to make a scarf, and to show ya'll the 'effect' I'm going for. The 'grrr effect' as it were. :P Here we go with the latest!

post-4413-1237884242.jpg

Here's his new rank. He's been busted down to corporal for drinking too much sake, and an flippant lifestyle.

post-4413-1237884440.jpg

post-4413-1237884558.jpg

This is what I'm going to be attempting for a camo on this ole biscuit hound. Shameless plug for this book too, as it's got a lot of good stuff on the Oscar. More pics as things progress. (if I can stay one step ahead of these voracious women; it's a tough life being a 'post-4413-1237966000.jpg' (edited for mature content; AGAIN!):rolleyes: ) Later, Russ......AKA "post-4413-1237973178.jpg" Grrrrr heh heh.

post-4413-1237884829.jpg

Awesome! I love the purposeful stare and the rakish scarf. A flippant lifestyle??? Now I wonder what he did! He needs a yellow outline of a 4-engine bomber on his fuselage with a big red "X" on it to go with that bravado.

BTW, isn't it "boy toy"? :rolleyes:

Not sure about elsewhere, but down under the phrase is certainly 'toy boy'. Generally refers to a guy quite a bit younger than his vixen counterpart...

Kev

Well, we already know that everything is upside down and backwards in Australia.....