T.G.E.A.C.P.S.F.

Hmmm, my 'aluminum colors' came out looking grey in these pics, but it actually has 3 different subtle shades. If I angle the light to get those to show, the silver doesn't....whaaaaah! Looks OK in person, maybe in daylight and after weathering I can get it to come out better in pics? I'm going to be highlighting some panel lines in a light pass with Tamiya 'smoke' too. I did that on the burner section of my F-4, and it really looked cool. Anyway, it's still in progress and I can't wait to start on the top. More pics tomorrow night. Later, Russ

post-4413-1236946471.jpg

I know what you mean about the pics. My cockpit looks grey too. It looks good though. Nice changes in the shades. Should look great with a good wash. The green on the control surfaces is a nice contrast, better than the silver would look, IMO.

What color are you gonna do the tanks, bamboo? <_<

Matt

You darn right, Matt! "Anything worth doing , is worth doing sorta right", and I can guess colors with the best of 'em. :)

That reminds me, here's my interpretation of a sorta green/ kinda brown color for FRANKenstein. After much ciphering and clucking of my tongue, I have divined this method to be what color this AC was from B/W pics. Still having problems getting my colors to show up right in these posts, and this is the best I can do for now. First I sprayed a 'basecoat' of ModelMasters Olive Drab (FS 34087). Green with a slight brownish shade to it when freshly applied.

post-4413-1237021351.jpg

post-4413-1237021362.jpg

This is what my deerections say to use,... and for once I'm going to actually do what they say. Whoooo.

Okay, here's where I start the deviating. :) I don't really want this AC to be green per-say, but have a definite brown hue of weathered olive drab. Found a compatible shade to spray erratically over my base coat in ModelMasters Field Drab (FS-30118). Basically between panel lines, and over the top spine of the fuse to make it look weathered. Here's some pics as it was drying. It looks much more brown now. BUT,...when walked around, enough of the olive drab shows so you can't really tell if it's green,....or brown. Bingo.

post-4413-1237021938.jpg

Not much contrast in these pics between the 2 colors, but after a wash and flatcoat it should be more visible. I was also pleased to note that my 'aluminum' undersides actually look grey in the shadows under the model,...until it gets turned over. Neat effect, I like it. I can see why it's hard to tell from a B/W pic what color these AC really were.

Because I'm going to be chipping and whupping on this paint scheme like a red-haired stepchild, it's almost time to put the decals on because they'll be chipped/weathered too. This build is coming together quicker than I'd planned,...I just might have it basically done by the end of this weekend! :) Ooooh, my.

post-4413-1237022026.jpg

Looking good dude!

My 2 cents tip about the OD brown/green shade... having been building armors in a parallel modeler life, I had to deal with that case while doing US vehicles like the M4.

What I usual do is apply a rather heavy wash of dark sienna (oil) + a couple of drops of black (enamel) over the panel and rivet lines. The mixture must not be too diluted unless there will be no effect. Let it dry for a while (but not too long) and then use a paper tissu (do not put any thinner on it or just a very very little) to "clean" the oil paint or I should rather said spread the oil paint all over the green.

It will act like a filter which will give a nice brownish shade to your initial green.

Cheers,

Loic

I like the brown tint you got with the field drab. A nice wash as per Loic's post and it will get some depth. I will be curious as to how you go about getting the chipped paint effect. I will probably try out the maskol over nmf under field drabish peel off that I have never done before technique.

Have you figured out the "combat stripe" thing for these planes? Some planes had a thin stripe, or three around the fuselage toward the tail. I don't know. Might look cool.

Oh, and let's keep that kimono down! We don't need to cause a ruckus. :)

Matt

What?! , and miss out on seeing MY red seat? :) :lol: Poor Elvis, now I know why he chews up your stuff... ya darn bed-hog. Garn!, I'm trying to put this model down tonight....but trying to pull off these Japanese colors has my attention riveted. Darndest thing I ever saw. Looking at this camo right now without flourescent lights on it, it looks as brown as dirt. Turn an incandescent light on, and it gets these perfect greenish highlights. ALAS! I can't get it in a pic, even with editing.

While I've been dinking around with it all night, I ended up getting everything but guns/antenna/and pitot on it and painted. It's ready for a Saturday of decals and weathering. Chipped paint is going to applied one fleck at a time.(I hear it's good 'therapy') Good ideas on the wash guys. It's going to make or break this camo scheme. Black is too harsh, and burnt umber/raw sienna is too brown. Time for another witches brew concoction of pigments.

Here's where I'm stopping for the night. A basic, ready to weather Frank. Tried to get the colors to come out looking like they really look, but no joy. A general idea;

post-4413-1237038685.jpg

post-4413-1237038696.jpg

This is the closest to what it looks like, but still too green. Ya can just make out the 2-color 'blotching'. I'll try again in daylight and see what I can do. Tomorrow night will be pics of decals, and starting the chipped paint. Later! Russ

post-4413-1237038982.jpg

Elvis and I are watching intently between glasses of bourbon. I agree with Thor on the gray wash. I have been messing around with the Promodelers "dark dirt" wash and the "light dirt" wash. They are like a clay disolved in water that has an easy cleanup and is easy to correct over future or another clear coat. The dark wash ish a dark gray.Whatever you decide, I am sure it will look great!

Matt

Hey All !!, Thanks for all the input! :) I'm thinking a 'dark greyish wash' is probably the way to go too. I rolled outta the sack today ready to see what this thing looks like in real daylight, before mixing anything up and to take some pics.

Can't believe I ended up using US armor colors for the paintscheme for this thing, or US modern bombr colors for the interior. The irony....but that's how the dice rolled. I dunno if these colors are even remotely correct, but it just looks the part to me.

I've already started putting decals on this after a gloss clearcoat, and I'm going out to get some coffee so I can start chipping the paint. Gotta get into my 'zone' for doing that, because once I start I won't be stopping! heh heh.

Uh oh, woman just came by and snapped her fingers...so I gotta go(grrr). Quick pics of the real colors;

post-4413-1237082402.jpg

post-4413-1237082410.jpg

Be back in a bit to finish this post.