T.G.E.A.C.P.S.F.

Heeey Jon! This particular sim is IL-2 '46. I like it because it has just about every AC that flew in WWII, and it's so easy to 're-paint' digitally anything I want and fly it around to see how it will look. I just diddle with my Paint program to do this. Here's a sample of how I do it, as I was playing around with this tonight. I have about 8 versions of this 58th Sentai 'special attack' camo that I've made so far. Basically a 'brown, 'green', and 'olive drab' version with the markings I've decided on. I can vary the amount of paint chipping, change the color of the spinner, blah blah, and see what it looks like before I paint my model. Here's a sample of a 'brown' scheme I worked on tonight. Got the skull on the tail, and I'm feathering in the colors to help it blend in. Still don't have the 7 on the rudder bottom yet, but this is still 'in-progress'.

post-4413-1236594031.jpg

Here's a shot of the full size 'template'. Ya'll can see I don't have the skull on the other side yet, but I'll just click-rotate-and drop it there when I get this side done. Sweet!

post-4413-1236594212.jpg

Here's what it looks like in the air, just to test it out. This scheme is going to be a failure, as I've decided on an olive drab color with NMF undersides. This is too brown, and has greyish undersides. Weathering is about what I want for my final paintjob.(hopefully) This is a great way to practice without taking up too much time from actually building something.

post-4413-1236594333.jpg

Here's another failure. Too much chipping/too green, and I'm not liking that skull just yet. The color I'm going to paint FRANKenstein is somewhere betwen green and brown. Kinda an 'brown olive green' or 'brownish green drab'. I kinda like doing this stuff, as it's good practice for 'seeing' what a camo will look like before I paint a model without even getting any paint or brush out. By the time it comes for painting the model, I've already had a lot of practice, and it just goes so much smoother when I can already 'visualize' the subject.

Also, I can make some cool screenshot screen-saver for my PC at work. Any combination of AC in combat, in any weather, in any camo I can come up with. Neat stuff! Later, Russ

post-4413-1236595005.jpg

Heeey Jon! This particular sim is IL-2 '46. I like it because it has just about every AC that flew in WWII, and it's so easy to 're-paint' digitally anything I want and fly it around to see how it will look. I just diddle with my Paint program to do this. Here's a sample of how I do it, as I was playing around with this tonight...I can vary the amount of paint chipping, change the color of the spinner, blah blah, and see what it looks like before I paint my model...but this is still 'in-progress'.

Russ, your build looks awesome, as always! -Sorry to hijack your thread a little, but along the same 'sim' lines, what did you use to play with your F-4S & Aussie A-4? I asked that question in one of those threads awhile back, but I think it got buried...I'd like to do something similar (virtual paint & cammo tests) to save a lot of errors and re-painting with the airbrush.

Thanks-

Whoakay, I've decided to come back here and start on FRANKenstein again, after Matt caught me with my kimono down over on my Oscar thread. <_< Hmmpf, and I thought he LIKED my pilots looking like they're "ready for action"? :P

But I digress once again. Hey Harv! That particular sim would be Microsofts Flightsim 2004.(some call it FS9) I've got a free program called DXTbmp or some-such that allows those AC 'skins' to be painted, and there's zillions of free AC to download. Flightsim X(or FS10) is even cooler, but there's so many alpha channels for 'reflectivity' and shading in different lights it's over my head to do. We'll have to get together and whup up some A-4's for funsy's sometime. It's a lot easier to show how to do it, than explain. Lemme know, eh?!

Speaking of painting, I got the Frank ready to go. Gear is on, and I've got my colors picked, AND I found a pic of the AC I'm modelling! Whoohoo! :unsure: Pics show it without drop tanks on, but I still might go that route cuz I read where they were made of wood....or BAMBOO! Coooool. Not much new to show besides having the gear on, but I've used dissolved putty to fill what little cracks there were on this kit. It went together VERY nicely.

post-4413-1236858724.jpg

I think it looks kinda like a FW-190, P-47, and Zero all melted together. Didn't want to paint this critter til the LG is dry, because I want something to put it on to dry between colors. After the glue for all this sets tonight, I'll be ready to slap some paint on this sucker. Finally figured out how to do a complete breakdown on my Iwata to get it nice and clean for weathering job I've got planned. Wow! It works a lot better now,..sweet. Should have some pics with paint tomorrow! Russ

post-4413-1236859304.jpg

Heh heh, yeah Loic my old friend....when ya leave out all those pesky little things called, uhmmm..details, it goes pretty quick! Mehehehe. :unsure: Because I'm using this GB to move all my Japanese AC kits out the door, and finally get them built....I'm going for quantity over quality and building bsically OOB. Lotsa fun, and it gives me room for some really big scratch-built projects I want to get into this year. Hard to believe I will have been here a year at LSP at the end of this month. Geez, that was when I started on that Spitfire Mk XIV , and you were building that Tempest, remember? Whooo.

Time flies, when you're having fun!

All together and she looks great! Details are for ocd folks like me to squander time over. Your builds always look great. Reviewed that F-4 the other day. Awesome.

Now if we can just get that pilot under control... :unsure:

Heh heh, yeah Loic my old friend....when ya leave out all those pesky little things called, uhmmm..details, it goes pretty quick! Mehehehe. ;) Because I'm using this GB to move all my Japanese AC kits out the door, and finally get them built....I'm going for quantity over quality and building bsically OOB. Lotsa fun, and it gives me room for some really big scratch-built projects I want to get into this year. Hard to believe I will have been here a year at LSP at the end of this month. Geez, that was when I started on that Spitfire Mk XIV , and you were building that Tempest, remember? Whooo.

Time flies, when you're having fun!

You bet I remember that "good ol' time" dude!

This Tempest build was a great experience and my first shared build with the LSP folks. It was also great fun to see our 2 builds progressing side by side ;) but hey, I am now only starting to build my 3rd kit since I joingned the Forum and you have completed what... a hundred? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Weeeell, I've been trying to get my pudgy 'pencil erasers for fingertips' wrapped around the ole airbrush tonight, to start getting some undersides color on, Gregory! <_< Was trying for an oxidized aluminum look with some silver highlights, and ended up painting 4 different metallic colors and silver on before it looked OK to me. Blast it though, I can't seem to get what it looks like to come out in a pic. :angry: Metal colors are hard to capture. I can roll it around under the lights, and it just shimmers differently and highlights different parts from every different angle. Looks cool in person, but sucks taking a pic. Bah!

Got the fabric control surfaces painted my version of a grey/green first, just to see what it looked like, but I still need to mask and tighten up the demarcations after the metallics dry. I'm hoping this 'weathered metal' look will be easier to see once everything is washed/weathered and under a flat coat? hmmm. Here's a foray into 'plan A' for the undersides.

post-4413-1236946045.jpg