T.G.E.A.C.P.S.F.

On to creating my markings. Here's my 'mock-up template' I made earlier to get it sized right.

post-4413-1237189877.jpg

And here it is cut out to see how it looks on the model. I like it. :) Probably have these on before I go to bed tonight, as it wasn't as difficult to cut out as I thought it would be. More progress pics tomorrow! Russ

post-4413-1237190128.jpg

Okay, once I got all the stuff out, ....I couldn't stop. :rolleyes: Popped on for a sec to show ya'll how my 'jolly roger' came out. Really needs a cigar hanging outta it's mouth, a crack and bullet-hole in that skull, and an eye-patch. But I guess this is how the Japanese interpret these things, (:blink:) so I'll leave it be. mumble.

BANZAI !!!!

post-4413-1237200355.jpg

post-4413-1237200364.jpg

Wow Russ, that looks super! Did I miss the bit where you explained how you did the skulls? Are they masked and painted using the template you made, or did you make your own decals? Either way, impressive work dude.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

So,Lt.Ruzlkamp...

U'er Emperor is very please with u'er Excellent build of our countries KI-84.U'er presentation as to the skull and cross bones should show the enemy that we mean business.I say to u as to the Rising Sun of our flag over and over again.BBBAAANNNZZZAAAIIIII!!!!!!!!Larry

Ha Ha!!!! :rolleyes: You guys are TOO MUCH! Actually amazed at the response dudes, didn't think anybody was watching me bumble around with this build. :rolleyes:

Going thru a little 'adversary phase', where for every AC I build I must make something that it fought against. Keeps my interest up, and increases the fun factor immensely. Working on a P-38 over in the new GB to go along with the Oscar I just finished....and to go with THIS build, I've been dinking around modifying a Revell P-40E into an RAAF P-40N. Whoohoo!!

Here's some plans of a P-40K I've enlarged to get the new extended fuse size down correctly. Check it out.

post-4413-1238750983.jpg

Course I'll be hacking out the rear canopy area to blow a new deck cover and stuff, but I'll be starting on this one VERY soon. I'll be building this'un concurrently whilst finishing off the weathering on the FRANKenstein. Gotta be glueing on one while painting another. P-38 is going OK, so I'll probably shove it aside this weekend to start on this Ki-84 build then.

More pics of the 'skull on a hibachi' soon! :rolleyes: Later, Russ

• 2 weeks later...
Guest canuck63
Here's another view of the profile I'm basing my markings on. 58th Sentai; some kind of 'special attack unit'. Don't know if this means aerial bombing, ramming, or making funny faces at B-29 formations. Flown by Lt. Toku Ueda, AC#-7; May 1945

post-4413-1237189318.jpg

It isn't correct. Should have an antiglare panel on it at least. Here's a pic of the actual squadron lined up ready to go. #7 is 2nd in line. All the skull/xbones on these AC are subtly different. Must've been handpainted, and not a template. Notice the lack of paint chipping.

post-4413-1237189491.jpg

Don't know who to credit these pics to, as all the writing is in Japanese and I can't read it. Hope they don't mind me showing ya'll what I'm trying to paint my model like?

This very aircraft attacked US ships off Okinawa on May 25th 1945 on a Kamikaze strike.The 58th Shimbu-tai called themselves the "Shull Unit",their emblem showing white skulls on ship flowing on waves.Aircraft carried numbers 1 thru 12 on the lower part of the fin.Seems like none of the 58th's aircraft managed and cause a single dent to the US warships...all pilots were killed before reaching their targets!"

HTH

Manny