T.G.E.A.C.P.S.F.

Whoakay, I'm back! ;) Sheesh, when a woman is ready to go somewhere, they don't mess around. :) "Heel, Russ...fetch boy....SIT!" (how do you married guys do it?! :huh: ) heh heh.

I DID manage to flirt with wrath, and wander off in a stupor to the light bulb section of the store to get some new 'true daylight' type flourescent tubes for my new draftsman light. It's cool. Looks like a huge construction crane with all the articulating arms and such. Took some new pics to try em out, and the colors came out much truer. Sweet!

Here's some pics I was going to post earlier, before I was so rudely interrupted. These are in daylight. I've dubbed this camo the 'chamelion' scheme as it changes color with the light. Check out how different the colors are depending on the direction of light, and how the undersides look grey even though it's metallic.

post-4413-1237092669.jpg

Nuther view from the front. Is it green,....or brown?

post-4413-1237092714.jpg

Under my new lights. Colors match up much better to what I see here at home. Not trying to bore anybody with series of pics, I know a lot of ya'll are going to be looking at your own interpretation of these topsides colors and might be interested(or not) in what kind of effect the colors I've chosen give.

Green,...or brown? See how the undersides look grey in the shadows of the undersides?

post-4413-1237093111.jpg

Now let me turn it over. I used an RAF 'sky' color for the fabric control surfaces. Ready for a wash and further weathering.

post-4413-1237093286.jpg

More pics later on tonight. Russ

Aaaaah, time to take a break and post more crappy pics. :huh: Got all my decals on (except the skull & xbones) , after giving it a gloss coat. Whew, lots of setting solution to get all those 2-part meatballs to lay down good. Ran into a snag after looking at pics of the real plane. It's got an anti-glare panel. Some in this Sentai do....some don't. Determined to do #7 in this 'special attack' unit, and it's got one,...so I layed a severely faded one on the nose. This particular AC doesn't have a very chipped paintjob, but I'm going to pretend it EVENTUALLY had one. :) (even discounting the one-way trip nature of it's mission?) Oooooh, my.

Here's where I'm stopping for the night;

post-4413-1237120267.jpg

Gloss coat really did a number on my paint job. Wonder if it'll look OK after I get it flat again? Dunno. Going to be cutting out my Skull/crossbones and individual # out with an exacto knife from a sheet of white decal paper. I'm just going to be free hand drawing the master. Whooooo. I've had lots of practice doing it with my 'digital renditions', so it shouldn't look too botched?

post-4413-1237120492.jpg

Ready for a good wash, and some flaked paint. Then, back to flat,....and finish weathering. If I don't screw something up first. :) Next step is going to be the fun part, so I'm going to take baby-steps to make sure I don't over do anything.

More pics as things develop. Russ

post-4413-1237121091.jpg

Looking good Russ! I am sure the flat coat will even out the gloss. It always does for me :)

What did you use for the exhaust stubs? They really pop.

Clean work, now I can't wait to see it dirtied up!

Matt

p.s. woman secret #1. "Know on which side your bread is buttered."

Man, I turn around for two minutes and you're almost done with this! It's looking great, and your color interpretations seem right to me.

Great job Russ! Can't wait to see it chipped and beat up...

Thanks for the kind words, Gents. :) Made some popcorn and watched a movie today(something I rarely do!), so I didn't slam on the FRANKenstein as much as I would've wished. Watching 'Dances With Wolves' got me sufficiently pumped up to start on the 'piece de la resistance'(or something like that :) ) and focal point on this build. I call it "a skull and crossbones on a hibachi". Others call it the squadron markings.

Cut a notch in a piece of paper, and drew an outline of the vertical fin on it in pencil. Then scribbled and erased until I got an approximation of what I wanted sizewise. Then, another piece of paper over the top of my scribble to get a more concise shape and cut that out. I now have a template. Pics tell the story better;

Here's another view of the profile I'm basing my markings on. 58th Sentai; some kind of 'special attack unit'. Don't know if this means aerial bombing, ramming, or making funny faces at B-29 formations. Flown by Lt. Toku Ueda, AC#-7; May 1945

post-4413-1237189318.jpg

It isn't correct. Should have an antiglare panel on it at least. Here's a pic of the actual squadron lined up ready to go. #7 is 2nd in line. All the skull/xbones on these AC are subtly different. Must've been handpainted, and not a template. Notice the lack of paint chipping.

post-4413-1237189491.jpg

Don't know who to credit these pics to, as all the writing is in Japanese and I can't read it. Hope they don't mind me showing ya'll what I'm trying to paint my model like?