T.G.E.A.C.P.S.F.

WhooHoo!, Thanks Gents. Been slapping myself on the head with a big stick trying to cipher these interior colors, and methinks I've formulated some gnarly concoctions for "baby poop green" and "virulent pond scum grunge stuff". :ph34r: It's my own invention, and I'm quite pleased. Correct? Doubtful. Fun? Definitely!

Got the pit mocked up to see how my obligatory pilot is going to look, and to make sure all the arms are placed OK. I used a head off the pilot in my Ki-61 kit, cuz he looks so neat and has an oxygen mask. First bummer. With pilot installed, you can't see the pit at ALL. hmmmpf. Won't be able to see the rank or Japanese flag I wanted to put on his shoulders either. Grrrrr. Still working on getting his goggles down so I can put one of those neat 'rising sun' headbands around his helmet. But I digress. Here's a preview of of my pilot and cockpit ya won't be able to see.

post-4413-1236349285.jpg

post-4413-1236349310.jpg

Kit is fantastic, and I'm going to be painting the pit even though it won't be seen anyway. Not going to be adding cables/wires and stuff for obvious reasons, but I'm going to at least make the effort of painting everything in my witches brew of new colors. Got all large assemblies blocked up and ready to go. Time to get this show on the road!

Already doing research on my next project for this GB.(not counting the Ki-43-II, or Ki-61) Had a 2nd hand Me-163 I almost threw out this last weekend cuz it didn't have any decals for it. Weeeell, that made it a perfect candidate for turning into a Mitsubishi J8M1. I want to practice some aotake whatever on this critter. Coming up with a camo ought to be interesting?

Check it out;

post-4413-1236350104.gif

Coming soon to this GB, after I finish this here Ki-84 'FRANKenstein'. Meh heh heh.

Russ,

As alway another outstanding project in the works.I wonder if it would be possible to raise the pilot seat up to take off altitude in order to see more of the pilot-san.That way you can see his rank insignia.Just a thought.Anyway keep up the excellent progress my friend.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Whooo, excellent ideas. Think I'll do that with the Ki-43 II build I'll be doing. Actually wasted about 2 hrs. trying to do that with this guy, but I didn't want to cut his arms or hack up the pit anymore than I have already. :) As Matt said, it's a pretty tight fit, and I kinda want the canopy closed on this guy. I understand a lot of the Hayabusa pilots flew with the canopy rolled back all the time anjyway, so the 'theme' of the scarf and jacked up seat would look cool on that one.

Well, here's my interpretation of Nakjima Interior Color. I ended up using ModelMaster 'SAC bomber tan'(FS-34201) for the base color, and SAC bomber green(FS-34159) for all the 'boxes and throttle quadrants, shell chutes, and other assorted what-nots. Of course I can only manage to take crappy pics until I get bulbs for my new light, so this is as close as I can get for now to show the true colors. Pilot and IP first;

post-4413-1236438559.jpg

Ended up using the decals for the IP, just because I wanted to try them.(and I'm lazy) Everything is ready for a wash and final detailing.

Pretty basic paintjob until it all dries and I can give everything a good wash. Here's the basic cockpit floor and sidewalls. Still got lots more to do, but it's getting there. Too bad none of this will be seen, as the kit detail is really good. Cockpit opening is SMAaaalll....and the pilot will be hogging the entire opening. Finished pit, pilot, and engine pics tonight after I make a run to get some bulbs for my new light. Whooppee! :) Later, Russ

post-4413-1236439065.jpg

Hey Russ! Geeeez man! Looks really good so far. How did you come to decide on your cockpit color? I noticeed that you and Matt seem to be on the same path here. You're leaps and bounds ahead of this fellow....I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive! I can't wait to see where you go from here..... :P Cheers!

Whuh oh, :P . I do believe I've messed up! Mwhahah. Couldn't resist doodling around with putting different motors on the front of FRANKenstein. SURPRISE? :P After going thru a plethora of in-line engines, and saying....meh, I was looking at this old Revell R-2800 off a Corsair. For reasons only knowst to myself, I tried 'practice afixing' this burly looking motor onto the front. Bad move. One thing led to another, and...let's just say I've been practicing self-flagellation on myself for the last hour. Uh oh, sphaggetiooooohhs.

No big whup really, cuz now I'm going to be playing with my new 'experimental late war top-secret super motor'! :P I'm going to be giving this model away anyway, and the recipient won't know the difference.(and I can have a lot of fun playing around) This new engine will be my new "B-29 Catcher Motor". Kinda rolls off the tongue, eh?! My Sentai markings will be for a 'Special Attack' unit, so methinks I'll need a 'special' aircraft. Or sumthin like that.

Well Kevin, if you happen to read this,...behold the (now superfluous to me) motor that I'll be sending you to plug into the front of your George. The kit motor has 'hollows' molded into the back of the cylinders, but it'll sure look good gazing in from the front. "It's an ill wind that doesn't blow SOMEBODY some good"! Whoohoo!

Enough yakking. Because Loic has been such a bad influence scratch-building his own engine, and I want to play too,...here's what I've got so far. Don't ask why I did this, cause I ain't going to tell. :P

post-4413-1236495327.jpg

Playing around, singing "hum-dee-ohh-dee-ohh" whilst parts swapping.

post-4413-1236495337.jpg

Went a little too far, and chopped a little too much...so now there's no going back. Really,...I wasn't planning on doing this. Honest. :P Going to need some crankcase mods to make it look more 'Japanese', and it might(?) acquire a turbo set-up for altitude performance, but I'm digging this set-up. 'No replacement-for displacement'. heh heh. Here's more pics I took while 'hmmming & hawwwing' over how to do this. Kit engine alongside in pieces for 'comparison purposes'.

post-4413-1236495899.jpg

Length from the firewall is now perfect, and I got the prop to fit on the shaft. Next step is to modify the reduction gear housing to make it look different from an R-2800. I think I'll call it an Ha-221 or some-such nonsense.

Another view I took, before my eyes rolled back into my head and I was rolling on the floor laughing. It won't look too far from scale when completed actually, as not much is seen besides the reduction gear housing anyway. Just had to fiddle with SOMETHING to deviate from the norm!

post-4413-1236497077.jpg