Tim,

In defense of Erwin it Looks like Erwin is goilg for an Aotaki finish on the interior, most likely called out in the Revell instructions.

The poor lighting/film speed just makes it look too blue.

Aotaki is a semi-metalic clearblue laquer finish I believe.

Alot of Japanese Manufactureers used whatever they had on hand and considering that there were less than 400 Jacks built it is amazing they had time to paint them at all.

It's also amazing that a model company would kit such a low production fighter.

Jon (my 2 cents)

"In defense of Erwin it Looks like Erwin is going for an Aotaki finish on the interior, most likely called out in the Revell instructions.é

That 's what it says in the instructions.And the Nr 52 from Humbrol"metalic blue" is what I used

"It's also amazing that a model company would kit such a low production fighter."

Revell has done it again a few years ago with the Salamander.

That is right Erwin!

I forgot about the Salamander, and more recently other companies putting out kits of the X-15 and the He-100!

Jon

Guest TimC

Jon:

Erwin really did not need any defense...

I do not have the kit and was curious as to where he got his color choice from. If the Revell instructions indicate that it should've been painted aotake (or whatever the actual color callout is) then that's the source of his color choice...No worries. :(

Mitsubishi built 476 J2M Fighters built between 1943 and 1945. Plenty of time to paint them. The Raiden is a very popular aircraft existing in the smaller two scales 1/72 and 1/48 with a newly tooled 1/48 kit from Hasegawa back in the mid-90's. As far as the color of aotake is concerned, it varied between a clear light blue and a clear dark green-blue. The literal translation of the word aotake is bamboo color. Of course, the metallic comes from the aluminum underneath. Although incorrect in the cockpit area, Erwin's color is not unacceptable at all, and I apologize to him if that's the tone I presented. It does resemble the aotake at the extreme light blue end of the spectrum (if you'll pardon my use of the word) but I would've thought the instruction sheet would've called out a shade of green for the cockpit area...evidently it does not.

I had an opportunity to get the Revell kit awhile back but passed knowing the glaring errors that are so prevalent in the Takara kits of that time. That, and the price was a little steep for my taste. Tony is a basket case and I do know there are some size/shape issues with Jack regarding the canopy and the foward fuselage. The only kit I've not seen any real issues with is the Shiden. There may very well be issues with that kit as well but none that have made it to light AFAIK. I'm hoping (and holding out) for a new Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden in the not-to-distant future.

Tim,

There is quite a bit of discussion about Japanese interior colors and a lot of companies call out incorrect colors in the instructions.

The Tony, Jack, and George Revell kits are overpriced but I have seen that come down lately, most are just for collectors with no intent of ever being built.

I sure do hope Hasegawa or Tamiya do step up and make some more of these great planes they have been producing of late.

I'm sure impressed with the Tamiya A6M5 and the Hasegawa KI-84 and KI-61.

No offense meant and none taken. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Jon

I sure do hope Hasegawa or Tamiya do step up and make some more of these great planes they have been producing of late.

I'm sure impressed with the Tamiya A6M5 and the Hasegawa KI-84 and KI-61.

Comin' up...

l_HAS08880.jpg

Anyone kow the correct Humbrol colornumbers for the lower and upper colors ?

Hi Erwin,

The Humbrol colours I do not know, I saw some colour tabels and it was a mix of different colours. I used Xtra colours X351, Japanese Army Green and X352 Japanese Army Gray. Also White Ensign has the colours but I do not know the numbers of those.

Rick.

Hi Erwin,

I starting to work on the Jack in between the Shinden.

I was wondering will the engine be visible at all after cowl is mated to the fuselage?

If it is not then I don't think I will spnd time putting it together and painting it.

If just the exhaust tube ends will show with the cowl flaps closed I think I will make my exhaust tubes from aluminum tubing as I am missing some plastic kit parts of the exhaust. I am also missing the cooling fan part behind the prop so I will have to scratchbuild that part as well.

I was doing some research on the Jack and what I found was that the cockpit interior is "Mitsubishi Green" but the gear wells and doors could be either the Aotake metallic blue or the same grey as the underside of the plane.

What do you think is there any part of the engine showing besides the exhaust stubs?

thanks,

Jon

Very good job on this kit.

This is not the best kit on the world, but if you want to made a Jack, well...

Congratulations,

Jamme

What do you think is there any part of the engine showing besides the exhaust stubs?

thanks,

Jon

Hi,

Nothing of the engine shows ones you closed all the cowlingparts.