Hayate!

Hi Matt,

The nose looks rather good. Try the wet salt stuff, put water on the spot where you want the chipping and toss some salt over it. The salt will suck up the water and sticks to the plane. After putting the colour on you can whipe it off real easy.

Rick.

Matt-

Mr. Masking Sol is too tough! I had the same problems with it! Glad it was not just me- But, I had a similar instance where I had painted the aircarft aluminum- But instead of applying the mask directly to the bare metal, I then coated it with Testor's Glosscoat, thinned with Lacquer thinner- I the applied Humbrol Maskol, then applied my basecoat- It worked a treat! Extra step though. It just seemed that the Humbrol stuff was easier to remove........I normally love Gunze's stuff, but that stuff went straight in the bin- HTH

THOR :ph34r:

Thanks Rick, I completely forgot about the salt trick. I didn't use it this time. I tried something else after a repaint.

Thor, I won't be using Mr Masking Sol again. Or Mr. Mark softer...

Anyway, I reshot Frank. After reading too much info on j-aircraft, I could not find enough to convince me what brown shade to use. I made a combo of a khaki drab and IJA green. Kept the bottom nmf and used some fine micro mesh pads to lightly sand through the paint to the aluminum. It is a bit hard to get the pictures to show but in person it looks like worn, thin paint.

frank11003.jpg

The awful shine is my pre-decal Future coverage. I also painted on the wing recognition markings front and rear.

Power egg, Japanese style

frank11006.jpg

frank11007.jpg

Bottom for last.

frank11002.jpg

Got to get a wash on it and some decals. After that, landing gear and exhaust.

That's it for now,

Matt

Sweet! I was down at the LHS today, and I had to get another one of these kits. Japanese AC is fun. B)

I just picked up a Ki-61 from James on the Traders Board. Comes with a metal Kobayashi. Very cool.

Getting ready for the home stretch on the Frank.

Down to the fiddly bits. Still no flat coat but trying to get things together without wrecking them. Lots of pics...

Decided that the inside of the gear doors needed a little color. Also added a drain tube next to that vent thing behind the wheel well.

frank12001.jpg

frank12007.jpg

more drain tubes behind the oil cooler, also drilled out the cowl gun shell ejection chute

frank12008.jpg

Thinned the oil cooler inlet and added a screen

frank12011.jpg

I read that the boot for the tail wheel was rubber

frank12009.jpg

The IJA markings reference I have shows the 101st Sentai, 2nd Chutai, with a white combat stripe. What the heck.

frank12003.jpg

Changed my anti glare panel color from olive drab to RLM 70 with a little more black mix

frank12005.jpg

Tail markings courtesy of the uber industrious Russ, thanks man! They went on nice and easy.

frank12004.jpg

Whew, that's it for now.

...and a few more.

finalfrank025.jpg

finalfrank010.jpg

and the last one, I really like the 101st Sentai markings, Thanks Russ!

finalfrank015.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their helpful input and support. This has been a great group build so far and I really look forward to seeing more of these planes finished.

Matt