Hayate!

Got some more work done and made a new "armor" plate for the rear bulkhead. Found a color that approximates the Nakajima interior color chips I have seen, it's a little less "limey" in person. I still wanted a bare metal interior but artistic license dictated some color on the bolt on stuff. I felt that items that would have corroded quickly in a tropical environment would need some paint. :D

frank4011.jpg

frank4014.jpg

It was hard to tell what color the knobs should be. The pictures I have look like well worn wooden knobs but with remnants of color on the undersides. I looked at pictures of other Japanese cockpits and guessed a little.

frank4016.jpg

Here is the newly replaced armor plate behind the seat. Thanks Tim, It makes more sense this way.

frank4018.jpg

Lastly, I don't think i would like getting into this cockpit, let alone trying to get out of it in a hurry. Those guys had guts.

frank4020.jpg

The seat and belts are next. I want to make a seat from brass and belts from foil. I hope it works out.

That's it for now. If I blew it it might be too late to fix it now. Most of this won't even show when it gets buttoned up.

Matt

Agreed Dave. Matt, you've done outstanding work there...waiting for more pix :)

Just for grins, I went shopping for a Frank last night after seeing all these guys in the GB. What I found is that they're all discontinued but you can still get the prototype kit as many retailers still have them on the virtual shelves. I found the HobbyBuy price the absolute best ($25.53 or thereabouts) but since I already have two Franks in the case, I passed. I'm waiting for Tojo.

Tim

Hi Matt! I'm really liking the work you've done so far on your cockpit. I have to ask you what you used for the color....it looks really nice, and very similar to what Russ has decided to do with his cockpit. Is it Natural Metal? It's sorta hard to tell from the photos. Looks fantastic none the less! Can't wait to see more. :P

Whoah!, You.....are a MADMAN Matt! Veery nice choice of colors, definitely looks 'late war'. (whatever that may be, :rolleyes: ) I'm really digging these Japanese subjects, because the documentation is so 'loose'. Never knew it could be so much fum building something I know nothing about.

That pit is inflipping incredible bud. Can't wait to see how ya pull off that harness. Always a hoot to watch your builds progress. More pics! :P

Thanks Guys!

Russ and I seemed to have started a loose coalition firmly planted in the "sort-of or almost right, maybe" department. It is hard to decide on colors other than blindly following Hasegawa's instructions. They would make a good looking cockpit to be sure but I think it is fun to do some research of my own along with help from others.

The base color is Vallejo Air aluminum. The green color is Polly Scale Weyerhaeuser Green, a railroad color. As an aside, the Polly scale brushes and sprays much better than almost all my other paints, IMHO. I like the color Russ chose better. looks a better match for what Nakajima Int. was supposed to be, depending on whose research you read.

The aluminum has a flat coat over a brown wash and some dusting with pastels. I am working on my photography, without much luck, so the color looks a little flat. In person, it looks like dull aluminum, sort of.

Matt

Ok, no laughing. Promise.

First time working with brass. I just did not like the kit seat. Looked kind of like a Lazy Boy lounger to me so a new one was in order. Hopefully it will paint up ok. My understanding is that a lot of the Frank seats were left in a red oxide primer only. I read that somewhere but have seen a pic or two of red seats in these planes. Ugly but oh well.

frank5004.jpg

Just drew it out on a 0.005" brass sheet and folded it up. Soldered the joints and added the back step and embossed the grooves. Holes were easy with the pin vise and drill. Not too tough and it came out looking like a seat. Next time it will be better.

Matt

The seat is not pink, it just looks that way in the picture. I shot it RLM 23 and it looks very much like the picture of the Frank seat I saw.

frank6015.jpg

I think the red washed out with the blue background. I closed up the cockpit before looking at my pictures so I will never know.

The belts are foil from a nice bottle of rum. <_< and the buckles are what I had laying around. May not be just right but close enough for me.

Matt

Whoooooooh. :lol: I was wondering if you were goin to try the 'infamous red seat'. :lol: I wuz thinking."couldn't possibly have been-must've been done in a re-fit".....but by gosh seeing it, I can see it fits. That looks soooo cool.

Can't believe how fantastic those belts came out! I was trying to count all the pieces, and figuring out how you got all the holes in it....and noticed you even got the throttle stop on the quadrant. Gahhh! I'm gonna go make some popcorn now and ponder the imponderables, wait...no I'm gonna get me a jug of sourmash and see if I can't get some foil off it before I get 'walking on my lips' hammered!!! ;) That pit is awesome Matt. Amazing.

I wanted to comment on how much I like your seat, too....but well...you know what I mean, right? :) Bwhahah! Whoohoo, well, gotta hike up my kimono and post some pics of my own now, so keep those progress pics coming, eh?! Russ