Oscar and Tony

vvwse4

Hey Rick,

I am certainly no expert at all but it looks good to me. I think a very light silver/alu dry brush will make it very convincing.

Can I please ask how you did to get that result?

This said, sorry if I may sound like Mr bowring but I think most (if not all) Ki-61 had a more like "sand yellow" interior instead of aotake blue.... Maybe someone who has definitive info could help?

Cheers,

Loic

... I think most (if not all) Ki-61 had a more like "sand yellow" interior instead of aotake blue.... Maybe someone who has definitive info could help?

Yep, that's pretty much my understanding too. Many folks seem to recommend RLM 79 or Italian Sand as good choices, though I found the Gunze RLM 79 too dark in my opinion. It was really only the aircraft built for the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Force (IJNAF) that had aotake applied to them. The Ki-61 is an army aircraft (IJAAF).

Kev

Hey Rick,

I am certainly no expert at all but it looks good to me. I think a very light silver/alu dry brush will make it very convincing.

Can I please ask how you did to get that result?

This said, sorry if I may sound like Mr bowring but I think most (if not all) Ki-61 had a more like "sand yellow" interior instead of aotake blue.... Maybe someone who has definitive info could help?

Cheers,

Loic

Hi Loic,

The colour was easy, Humbrol metallic blue number 52, black wash with drybrush neutral grey. I will change the colour for the Tony, but that will include the wheelbays?

Rick.

Hey, that's pretty cool technique Rick! I like it. :huh: Go-Rick-go,....show us the way! I'm still stuck on 'Nakajima interior color', whatever the heck that is. Just a blank on my directions where it shows a comparable color mix. Blast! :angry: This GB is getting hilarious, with everybody running around in the dark trying to figure out even basic colors. Are we having fun yet?!!! Whoohoo! Got to admire you for giving it the first try,....you're a brave man. :)

I assume that the colour for George is pritty good, I changed the colour for Tony, saw the word sand passing by a couple of times so this is where I came up with, man this is difficult!! :D

testpaint007.jpg

testpaint008.jpg

testpaint009.jpg

Paint still wet....

Rick.

Have all sorts of data, lemme know what you need.

J

Hi Jeff,

Do you have in your database some pics of the cockpit of both planes? How does the wiring goes and in what colour? Which instruments were there and again what is the colour? Same thing for the seatbelts for the Tony, got George covered thanks to Erwin.

Many thanks,

Rick.

Rick,

On the blog "Aviation of Japan" (www.straggleresearch.com) it is said that the cockpit colour of the Ki-43 II ( the type you are building) and the later version Ki-43 III is the same as the exterior (green) camouflage or equal of Fs 34128 (green) or a greygreen, Fs 34139. The choice is yours.

Groeten,

Hans

And here is the answer, very slow. I have been quite occupied with that thing called earning a living so free time was not really available this week, nor coming week by the way......

But I managed to do a few small things. Since I have started this I have been trying to get the colours right, but I think I am close now. Also tried to make some improvements on the Tony cockpit, saw Tim his build and could not believe that it is the same aircraft I am building. The George pritty much build itself, good old Has quality. Put some paint on parts and voila, weekend is over..... :(

paint001-1.jpg

paint002-1.jpg

And the Tony

paint003-1.jpg

paint004-1.jpg

paint005.jpg

paint006.jpg

And a question for the experts on this, did the Japaneese planes I build have only the two straps on the seat or the four strap harness?

Hopefully I can do a little bit next week, but it aint't August yet... :unsure:

Rick.

Two piece seat harness. No shoulder harness that I have been able to find.

Oh, we're not building the same kit (exactly). I am building the Hasegawa Ki-61. I believe yours is the Revell offering from 30+ years ago. :unsure:

HTH

Tim

Two piece seat harness. No shoulder harness that I have been able to find.

Oh, we're not building the same kit (exactly). I am building the Hasegawa Ki-61. I believe yours is the Revell offering from 30+ years ago. :unsure:

HTH

Tim

Hi Tim,

You are right offcourse, the type of plane is the only thing those kits have in common. I have been looking at your build for making some adjustments. Yours is looking great!!

Rick.