Revell Ju 88C-2

blackbetty

Karl

Just got broadband back today (6 weeks!) and came to have a look at how you've progressed. Looking really nice now. Excellent work on the canopy. Glad I can follow this again.

Matt

Hello Karl,

and hello everybody,

your cockpit looks quiet good so far. I have got the Eduard coloured etching parts for the cockpit two weeks ago. And perhaps you get them, too. They surely push your cockpit to the peak.

How far ist your fuselage ? What about a (corrected - means shape, leading edge and right-side engraving) vertical tail fin and -rudder ?

post-7594-1240860718.jpg

Are you sure about the shape of the fuel-dump of your Ju 88 ? Revell did the "main" fuel dump, but not the early one.

And does somebody recognized, that the Revell-kit has the wrong main wheels (too big) . . . ? And speaking about "wrong wheels": Even "Aires" and "Contact Resine" aftermarket resin-wheels are not useable for Ju88s of the A-1 upto A-5-variants. They are too big and (much more important) have the wrong rim.

I did a new wheel (representing the 110x375 pneu). Feel free to compare it to photographs of the real thing . . .

post-7594-1240860751.jpg

Happy modelling . . .

Andreas88

. . . sorry - too fast:

This is "my" fuel dump mark "early style". Compare it to the excellent photographs of Guttorms internet-site, and the Revell dump . . .

But: it is only for early Ju 88. Even A-5s (beside the converted A-1) had the "Revell"-dump.

post-7594-1240861341.jpg

Happy modelling aiagin . . .

Andreas88

hi andreas

thanx for posting your resin, but why not start your own thread so more people can see it

as for the tailfin: i havent noticed any panellines wrong (because i didnt check) maybe guttorm can comment on this?

i will take a look at the fuel dump, but if you say the A-5 has the revell style, i am not sure if my C2need the old style. with most of the details i have seen, the a1 is very close to the C0 or C1, the C2 is closer to the A5. i could be mistaken here and will check all the pics of kösters plane if i can spot it

same for the wheels, i think in late 1940 its possible the later wheels have been retrofitted (i could be wrong on this one)

thanx for your efforts

thanks matt for the nice comment

hi andreas

thanx for posting your resin, but why not start your own thread so more people can see it

as for the tailfin: i havent noticed any panellines wrong (because i didnt check) maybe guttorm can comment on this?

i will take a look at the fuel dump, but if you say the A-5 has the revell style, i am not sure if my C2need the old style. with most of the details i have seen, the a1 is very close to the C0 or C1, the C2 is closer to the A5. i could be mistaken here and will check all the pics of kösters plane if i can spot it

same for the wheels, i think in late 1940 its possible the later wheels have been retrofitted (i could be wrong on this one)

thanx for your efforts

Hi Karl,

I think about an owm thread. My thought was to hurry and offer the resins to you before you glue the wrong fin and wrong wheels onto your model.

At the moment my C-1 project is on hold, because I am scratiching some additional masters: A-1F conversation, D-1 and D-2 conversations, correct ETCs (nobody did so far), 20,08 m wing tips, bombs and some other nice things . . .

The guy who did the drawings for the Revell kit laughted about the Merker-drawings. But Michael back in the eraly 80s noticed a lot of special things, nobody did bevore. And: this french guy did the same errors as the guys, drawen the Ju 88 before Michael: He did not notice the fin has different panels on its fin. The big service-panel do only exist on its left side. The right side ON ANY Ju 88 has normal horizontal panel lines. You do not have to ask Guttrom: I had a lot of e-mails with him, and payed him attention on that feature (as he mailed with me about their first build modell of the Revell kit). And the person who did the drawings researched the leading edge of the fin wrong (if he did a research?): It looks like a supersonic leading edge. Much too sharp. I did about 3mm of syrene in there, and sand it into shape!

Pay attention that some of the C-2s are converted C-1s (as the LW did with the A-1: converting them into A-5s). And a hint: There were no C-0 . . . and: C-1s and C-2s were fitted with MG 151 (6 o'clock position in the nose) an (another difference to C-4s) no MG FF in the gondola. Some C-4s had their blind-landing aerial moved backwards just in front of the tail wheel. That was caused by the rack for and additional vertical camera behind fuselage-spar No. 15.

I do not know any photograph, showing an A-5 (or older) with 1140er wheels. And I do not know any Aenderungsanweisung (conversation-order) by the LW to fit the 1140er wheel to earlier Ju 88 than A-4.

Guttrom gave him a lot of good material - but it was mixed-up. And that is how it comes: 1140er wheels and a wrong fuel dump were drilled out of the beryllium in China . . . I was shocked as I looked into the parcel at the first test-shots . . .

Carry on - you do a great job.

Happy modelling

thanx for the heads up (ziemlich lustig wenn sich zwei deutschsprachige auf englisch unterhalten, was? laugh.gif - but for the sake of the audience, lets continue in english tongue.gif )
i am a big fan of the merker drawings myself, i still have all the old "flugzeug" issues and treasure them very much. why did the guy laugh at the drawings, they are the best so far that i am aware of....
as for the wheels, i'd like to get a set from you
i think i will manage to correct the fin myself
are you sure all C2 had MG 151s? if you have the "ferne nachtjagd" from mühlenbeck/leihse (stuttgart , 2.issue 1976) on p 178 i think this is a C2 (early ammo chute, no gondola weapons, lower window barely visible, but no 151 protruding from the nose. unless it has beeen removed for maintenance it looks as if the plane has a MG FF. moreso dont you think these have been interchangeable? maybe mounted at the frontschleuse or in the field? i have to bring up my old argument again: modifications and upgrades were done all the time and no handbook will tell about these ph34r.gif
in the same book a C4 is shown with a 151 and gondola weapons, page 138
with all respect: i'm not convinced wink.gif
i will take a look at the fuel dump too

Hi Karl,

(ja lustig *giggle*)

yes, you are surely right: there was nothing, which did not exist in the german LW. Theses guys laught, because after measurement of some real Ju 88 parts (wings, fuselage) it showes, that Michael was near, but not at the point. I had the honour to host Michaels ORIGINAL drwaing at my flat for some years, as Michael changes his home-flat. They are drawn in 36th scale (easy to transfer them into 72nd scale for the publication in FLUGZEUG) and excellent. Michael got all his mearurements exclusive via visual-examination of photographs. He teached me this optical technique, which is very complicated, cause he used three fixing-points on ervery photograph to interpolate measurements. He never used any existing drawings of those days. In conjunction with the official "Nievellierungsplan", which includes all angels of the aircraft, he drew all his plans of the Ju 88 destroyers (and later the Ju 388 and the Ju 88 H). A work which I pay my full respect till today. At the moment I surely use these drawings to master a Jumo 213 A for the Ju 88.

To correct the fin is not that complicated. Fill the engraving on the right side upper part, and add a second horizontal panel-line. Do not forget to add 0,5 mm styrene on top of the fin and sand it into shape (the peak of the fin has to be a little bit more pointed.

To correct the rudder you have to sand about 0,5 mm off the upper third, about 1 mm off the deepest part of the trimm-rudder, and you have to ADD about 1,5 mm in dept of the lower third of the rudder (see my photograph). And: do not forget to add a service-hand-hole panel to the right side of the rudder (Revell forgot this).

You are right: Not every C-2 had the MG 151 (left installed). And in practize not none of the C-4s have it. Even I know a photograph of a C-6 with MG 151 in 6 o'clock nose-position. I learned that only a few C-2 used the MG 151. Perhaps it had stolen a lot of room in the cockpit and there as no drum-feeding-opportunity. My photographs of the MG 151 installation (C-1) looks enormous. I think you have to have a good reference for any black-monster . . .

Happy modelling

Andreas

PS need a mailing address for the wheels . . .

hi guys
haven't had had much time lately, only slow progress on the cockpit
i think i will build an armoured pilot seat of the early type, after guttorms photo in the pinned thread. i am pretty sure the fighter version had it. i know that the C6s had armoured seats, but they seem to be of a later type made of pressed steel that is more rounded and not riverted together as the earlier type used on an A5. any insight on this would be much appreciated.
the later wing ends from pastor john showed up and they are cast very nicely, no bubbles at all, they are much better in shape than the heritage aviation ends (grey)

post-2020-1241528380.jpg