Colors,chips, and models

LSP_Mike

I'm digging thru my refs, and seeking info to paint my little RAAF Spitsfire. Ya, I know it's a caricature, not a serious model, but want to paint it correctly. I cross checked: my Humbrol paint chart, issued after the first great factory fire, and my meager stash of Ian Baker color chips, and his booklets. I was thinking that it would be great to be able to cross ref. Humbrol #s to FS #s, and to Model master #s, and tamiya ET AL. I still have a grand stock of Humbrol, and use enamels exclusively. Since most of the original Humbrol color designaters were destoyed in said fire, I wonder if anyone has a complete breakdown of the original system, and the newer system? I have some older tins that have HD,HI,HL etc. designaters, but no color notes: IJA green, RAF ocean grey, RLM 81 etc. Any thoughts?

Well, this is about as close as anything I have seen to what you are requesting: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp Check out both Volume I and II of the charts, Vol I lists military colors, Vol II is a cross reference.

Also, have you seen the line of paint chips out of Canada by Iliad Design? They are pretty nice also: http://www.iliad-design.com/charts.html

HTH

I am glad that you had some useful feedback Mike - if you need any more assistance, I have just about all of the old Humbrol colour guides, plus a lot of magazine article cross references, and lots of actual colour paint chips (well, actually, painted squares on cardboard) of many (popular) Humbrol Authentic cand standard colours, so I should be able to cross-reference just about any Humbrol colour you care to mention! - Just ask :blink:

Cheers

Derek

Thank you all for the responses. Trying to track down some Aussie paint info can be challanging! This is due in no small part to the generous help provided by the RAF! 'alo alo! Wot are we doing 'ere mate? Throwing away paint!? NOT in yer bloody lifetime mate!

....and so it goes....