F-86 F sabre detail photos

Well I promised to do the rest tonight. Now it's 18:57 and here we go.

post-6446-1236707930.jpg

This is the best I could do of the inner cockpit because we weren't allowed to climb on the jet. But in September I'll be back at Berlin and maybe I can talk them into allowing us.

The Orenda 14 of the Mk 6 making it the fastest and best climbing of all sabres. No wonder the canadians won every fightercontest in europe during the sabre age. Even F-100s had to fight for their lives when challenging it over the Rhinevalley of germany.

post-6446-1236708791.jpg

At last I have a question.

There is a halfring protuding from the right side of the fuselage filled with some rubberlike compound. Seems this is common to all sabres.

Anyone has a hint?

post-6446-1236709670.jpg

For now that's all. If this topic lives long enough maybe I can get some more information in autum.

• 4 months later...

well--i have serached high and low and there is only one explination for this item as its not on any other F-86. it must be a "hook" made for either having the Aircraft hanging from a celing on display or to tie it down outside as gateguard or something like that.. its the only thing i can come up with on this item and i have searched every book, picture and almost sabre alive i could find..and i have only seen it on this one..and also spoken with several and they all say the same..it must be a mod for a tiedown, hanging or gateguard..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Junkers JU...,

This item is found on every German Canadairsabre MK 6. It's only on the starboardside and much to weak for a hook. Can it be that it is a pushin ring for whatever reason?

In September I'm back in Berlin Gatow where several Sabres are parked ( think 5 or six). A Mk 5 in the Museum and a Mk6 with Martinbaker seat in the restorationshop. Will try to get some more pics. Maybe there is someone around of the Luftwaffe who knows something.