1/24 Airfix Mustang

Adrian A.

As far as I can tell, the gear should be nearly perfect once they are glued.

I think I may have a bit of trouble with the way the abortive 'working' gear set in the wings tho.

I'll have to figure out how to shim them up to keep them plumb & level.

post-177-1243913324.jpg

I started on the scissor links.

I started with the Airfix links, thinking to duplicate what I had.

Traced them out on styrene - I intend to cut the bulged section from the ends when I mount the styrene rods.

post-177-1243913621.jpg

I think for my second attempt, I'll try something more along these lines.

I think they look a bit better than the Airfix.

However, I realize that Rodney Williams did these for a B model Mustang - is it possible to even use this design on a D model?

I'll be doing them out of styrene, I really don't know how to work the brass like this.

post-177-1243913977.jpg

I turned my last bit of attention for the night to the main gear doors.

I started to clean them up & noticed that one of the doors is nearly completely devoid of any detail - bummer!

I know this is an old mold, but what's up with all of the injector pin marks? Three on each door?

post-177-1243914192.jpg

I'll have to pull my other Airfix Mustang off the shelf & fish out the main gear door & check it. Hopefully it's not smooth like this other one is.

I cut off the injector marks & sanded them.

I also worked on the hinge locations, I'll work on the location for the door ram later.

One question - did the D Mustang have two Hydraulic rams in the gear bays or just one? The pics I've seen show the B model that Rodney Williams did with two but the pictures of the wheel bays I have with only one.

But, I don't know which model the wheel bay pics I have came from. I'm guessing a D but just want to make sure.

post-177-1243914614.jpg

Last pic of the night show the hinges that I'm hoping to duplicate (however badly) in styrene. I don't know how Rodney Williams (or any of you for that matter) get so precise with all of these itty, bitty parts.

Man, I'm goin' blind trying to do all this freehand!

Oh, & did I mention - I'm having fun!

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1243914900.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond Geoff & Kem,

I just got caught up with a few minor injury's to the fingers working on those little pieces & parts(it slices, it dices, it julian fries!!), not to mention running a small drill bit into my finger (now that kinda smarted!) - then just got busy doing other stuff & time slips away quick like in a hurry.

It took me a day or two to get the bench converted from wheel well work to some sort of clean workspace.

I haven't done very much really, just getting primed to start back up this coming weekend - (I hope anyway!)

First pic is just the messy workbench after the wheel wells - I tried to start on the main gear door hinges but couldn't stand the clutter & had to clean it up a bit.

post-177-1245901089.jpg

Next pic is of my first few attempts at getting the shape of the hinges and attachment points (?) done.

I pulled the white door out of my other Airfix kit & it was better than the other. Not great but better. Whoever had the kit before me had started to clean the pin injector marks but kinda botched the job a bit. I managed to clean it up well enough though.

I'm still working on getting the shape, length & depth right on the hinges.

post-177-1245901318.jpg