P-39 question

Tench

Can anyone tell me if CMK's P-39 wheel bays/undercarriage set ( for the Special Hobby kit) offer any edge over applying Eduard's PE undercarriage set to the original kit bays? I haven't really heard anything about these, so any info is appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

TENCH

OK. I don't have an answer for your question,but I have read it. Let me ask you this: which are you more comfortable working with resin or photoetch? Or,not to be a smart ass, but you could build your P-39 just out of the box. That's sort of my plan with the two I have.

But if I had to choose between the two,I think I'd go with the photo etch.

RD

OK. I don't have an answer for your question,but I have read it. Let me ask you this: which are you more comfortable working with resin or photoetch? Or,not to be a smart ass, but you could build your P-39 just out of the box. That's sort of my plan with the two I have.

But if I had to choose between the two,I think I'd go with the photo etch.

RD

Sooo...There is a Santa out there! :rolleyes: Thanks RD. I was just wondering if something was terribly wrong with the kit bays since CMK made complete resin ones. If they're basically okay I'll take your advice and spruce up the kit ones with PE.

Thanks,

TENCH

Thanks guys. Always appreciate the info. Sounds like the PE onto the stock wheel bays is going to be my best bet ( and cheaper). Dave, you are right about only getting the MLG in the CMK set. Looks like you've got to buy CMK's armament set to get the nose wheel bay. Thanks for all the responses. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!!

Cheers and good will,

TENCH

I just finished building the SH P-39, and I wasn't impressed with the nose-gear bay or gear assembly. I built the bay according to the instructions. You build a box, then insert it into the fuselage halves. What I found was that the gear-bay "box" was too narrow, despite it being assembled with the side panels on the outside edges of the box sides to increase the width. This messes up the assembly of the center brace support in the well, which connects the PE strut hinges and shock absorber.

So if someone makes a resin drop-in replacement, I'd say go for it. Had I known they existed prior to starting, I'd have gotten them.

The remainder of the gear assembly is pretty basic, there's not a ton of detail in the wells, but the PE sets can go a long way.

The adhesive cockpit set is amazing, and thankfully the P-39 has a pretty open cockpit structure so you can see everything inside.

Jeff