1/32 Hasegawa TA-4J Skyhawk

Harv

Okay, got my act together a bit; got the okay to join with this started & stalled effort. The idea is for this kit to be built on a stand, gear-up in flying configuration. Although it is a 2-place training command aircraft, it will be built with a solo aviator and empty back seat, for a co-worker who did a tour as an instructor pilot with VT-7. Here is the obligatory box-top shot, showing a couple extra goodies as well.

HasTA-4JBox.JPG

Unfortunately, because I'm doing a 'commission build' of sorts, I can't use the cool scheme shown on the box, but will have to 'fake' the markings. And, although I have a Black Box resin cockpit for this T-bird, I won't actually be using it for this one, since the canopy will be closed anyway. Instead, I'm using the kit seat upfront, as the pilot figure will be the focal point there, and a CE resin ESCAPAC seat in the back, with cobbled seat belts/harness cinched-down for single-seat flying. (Can't have loose belts adrift in-flight!) Also, much like the real aircraft, I'm going to cannibalize the port Leading Edge slat to replace one lost from a previous build during a haphazard cleaning accident. Since this aircraft will be in-flight, and the slats retracted, I'm going to utilize a resin copy made by a friend, as the underside of the resin is a bit rough, and won't show when in the retracted position on the wing. Also of note in the picture is a piece of 5/8" brass tube, which is the correct diameter to replace the kit engine exhaust (for strength, as this is where the scooter will be mounted to its stand via clear Plexiglas rod).

HasTA-4JResinSlat.JPG

Here's a close-up of the resin slat my buddy John made for me (I don't do resin!...at least not yet~). Although the surface looks full of bubbles, they are actually under the surface (and on the bottom), so the flaws won't show once the slat is mounted to the wing and it is painted.

HasTA-4JExhaust1.JPG

Next up: A close-up comparison of the brass tube to the kit exhaust. This is a near-perfect replacement for the kit plastic, and will be fixed in-place by a couple of epoxied bulkheads I've scratch-built to support the weight of the finished jet.

HasTA-4JProfile1.JPG

I used a wire profile gauge picked up at Home Depot to help determine the bulkhead contours needed inside the fuselage. After transferring the pattern to plastic card, I trimmed them to fit snugly, and cut holes for the brass tube.

HasTA-4JExhaust2.JPG

Test-fitting the exhaust tube and bulkheads. At the back is the kit piece that holds the inner sleeve of the jet exhaust. I plan to blank off the tube in front of the forward bulkhead, prime & finish the brass exhaust tube with alclad paint, and epoxy the whole shebang together when I button up the fuselage. The plan is to cover the end of the clear plexi support rod with a cushion of felt or velvet fabric for a friction/press fit (and easy removal from the stand).

HasTA-4JCockpit1.JPG

Last picture for this round - test-fitting of the cockpit components. Kit seat upfront; Cutting Edge resin seat in back. Awaiting a mail order that is expected tomorrow that will include a resin pilot figure and Eduard PE belts that I hope I'll be able to fake for an ESCAPAC seat. I've done some basic painting, and a little work on the instrument panels and side consoles. Thanks for looking; appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Alright, Harv!!! Just had to check out VT-7 on the net to see how they're painted. Very cool. :) Can't believe in the early 90's they even had some low-viz and camo'd versions. Man, I'd love to build one of these 2-seaters...are they still available anywhere besides ebay or something? Don't believe I'll ever get rid of the 'jet bug' anymore,...I'm hooked after these last 2 I built.

Good to see you've joined the GB. It's a lotta fun! I'll be following this with mucho interest, buddy. Later, Russ

• 5 weeks later...
Okay, got my act together a bit; got the okay to join with this started & stalled effort. The idea is for this kit to be built on a stand, gear-up in flying configuration. Although it is a 2-place training command aircraft, it will be built with a solo aviator and empty back seat, for a co-worker who did a tour as an instructor pilot with VT-7. Here is the obligatory box-top shot, showing a couple extra goodies as well.

HasTA-4JBox.JPG

Unfortunately, because I'm doing a 'commission build' of sorts, I can't use the cool scheme shown on the box, but will have to 'fake' the markings. And, although I have a Black Box resin cockpit for this T-bird, I won't actually be using it for this one, since the canopy will be closed anyway. Instead, I'm using the kit seat upfront, as the pilot figure will be the focal point there, and a CE resin ESCAPAC seat in the back, with cobbled seat belts/harness cinched-down for single-seat flying. (Can't have loose belts adrift in-flight!) Also, much like the real aircraft, I'm going to cannibalize the port Leading Edge slat to replace one lost from a previous build during a haphazard cleaning accident. Since this aircraft will be in-flight, and the slats retracted, I'm going to utilize a resin copy made by a friend, as the underside of the resin is a bit rough, and won't show when in the retracted position on the wing. Also of note in the picture is a piece of 5/8" brass tube, which is the correct diameter to replace the kit engine exhaust (for strength, as this is where the scooter will be mounted to its stand via clear Plexiglas rod).

HasTA-4JResinSlat.JPG

Here's a close-up of the resin slat my buddy John made for me (I don't do resin!...at least not yet~). Although the surface looks full of bubbles, they are actually under the surface (and on the bottom), so the flaws won't show once the slat is mounted to the wing and it is painted.

HasTA-4JExhaust1.JPG

Next up: A close-up comparison of the brass tube to the kit exhaust. This is a near-perfect replacement for the kit plastic, and will be fixed in-place by a couple of epoxied bulkheads I've scratch-built to support the weight of the finished jet.

HasTA-4JProfile1.JPG

I used a wire profile gauge picked up at Home Depot to help determine the bulkhead contours needed inside the fuselage. After transferring the pattern to plastic card, I trimmed them to fit snugly, and cut holes for the brass tube.

HasTA-4JExhaust2.JPG

Test-fitting the exhaust tube and bulkheads. At the back is the kit piece that holds the inner sleeve of the jet exhaust. I plan to blank off the tube in front of the forward bulkhead, prime & finish the brass exhaust tube with alclad paint, and epoxy the whole shebang together when I button up the fuselage. The plan is to cover the end of the clear plexi support rod with a cushion of felt or velvet fabric for a friction/press fit (and easy removal from the stand).

HasTA-4JCockpit1.JPG

Last picture for this round - test-fitting of the cockpit components. Kit seat upfront; Cutting Edge resin seat in back. Awaiting a mail order that is expected tomorrow that will include a resin pilot figure and Eduard PE belts that I hope I'll be able to fake for an ESCAPAC seat. I've done some basic painting, and a little work on the instrument panels and side consoles. Thanks for looking; appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Nice work mate. What scheme are you going to be doing?

Nice work mate. What scheme are you going to be doing?

Yeah...what scheme? Can't wait to see more Harv, looks great so far!

~Thanks, Gents...

...Been quiet because I've had a change in plans. The co-worker I'm building for has asked if I can make him one of his "Cruise Rides" instead of his training command bird. So, switching the plan to a VA-81 A-4E with war load. I can use some of the bits I've already started with this build (wings, front cockpit IP, the engineering for the 'in-flight' support [but with new bulkheads...the -E fuselage is *just* that different to require new bulkhead profiles]). I figure once that job is done, he'll want me to pick back up on the t-bird, so the plan now is to work these in tandem to a certain degree. The scheme as it stands is for a VT-7 bird, something like this:

VT-7 TA-4J @ Sharpshooter-Maj.Com

(Hopefully this link works!)

Oh, and my mail package did show up...got the resin pilot figure, and the PE to use for the snugged-up ESCAPAC belts & harnesses. Can't go solo flying in a 2-placer that has a rocket-equipped back seat with belts, harnesses and buckles adrift...good way to ruin a perfectly good flying day!