toby1kanobi

i need airbrush help

Welcome Toby1, You are our only hope :lol: (LOVIN IT).

So much depends on what airbrush you have. I always use Testors Model Master enamels. It's what I've used forever, and what I'm used to. I've tried others but always come back to MM. I ALWAYS thin my paint with the Model Master Airbrush thinner. No matter what brand of paint you use, always use the brands thinner. I clean my airbrush with the cheap stuff, lacquer thinner from WalMart. Just remember that airbrushing takes time to master (if you can ever really master it). Your first airbrush job will be so much better than brush painting, and then each airbrush job after that will get better.

HTH,

Crash

Edit: Found this on youtube.com

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsO06Z-Gkg

Lots more on the sidebar.

HI :lol: Welcome Aboard ;)

Do you have a airbrush? If so what kind? Then what kind of model are you planning to paint with it?

I use a Badger 150 that I have had for about 25 years and my choice of paint is MM enamel's thinned with Testors airbrush thinner.

Texas :rolleyes: :

HI :lol: Welcome Aboard ;)

Do you have a airbrush? If so what kind? Then what kind of model are you planning to paint with it?

I use a Badger 150 that I have had for about 25 years and my choice of paint is MM enamel's thinned with Testors airbrush thinner.

Texas :rolleyes: :

is i an AB-400, its not exactly the sony of the airbrush world but im getting lines as fine as .5mm (image of brush attatched). ive heard several people say that games workshop acrylic works just fine, is there any truth to this.

primarialy ile be aurbrushing large GW models including forgeworld, i also intend to do a large RC spitfire. im used to using water based acrylics so ide preffer to stay with them if i can, the few uses of enamels ive had were disasters

post-5654-1228553642.jpg

" now thats a name iv'e not heard in a long time, a long time" may the site be with you toby1. acrylics can be a problem---they tend to dry very quickly and clog! persevere (i use xtracrylics thinners) but in the past when using enamels i never had any real problems--other than "operator error" type ones! large R/C used to be my "scene"---W.W.1 mostly but i suggest you look at MICK REEVES site ---as well as being a prolific designer and seller of sopwiths he has spits and hurris (mossies also) and paints for them---and advice if you wish.

cheers and welcome---you'll find very knowledgable and helpful guys here.

dave.

well thankyou all for your advise so far, keep it coming as i like to know everything i can. do any of you know where my air brush fits into the grand scheme of things, is it pretty crap or quite good? being so new to airbrushing i have no idea it certainly looks good (see picture in earlier post) and can do very fine lines, but is it a good make?

well thankyou all for your advise so far, keep it coming as i like to know everything i can. do any of you know where my air brush fits into the grand scheme of things, is it pretty crap or quite good? being so new to airbrushing i have no idea it certainly looks good (see picture in earlier post) and can do very fine lines, but is it a good make?

crikey----it's top class--AB are in the same league as passche or devilbliss as far as i know---but judging by the picture this is a double action gun---be prepared to practice, practice, practice---for we know what practice makes! oh! one thing---don't plan on airbrushing any large R/C spits-- or any really large flying models---at least not the basic colour---there just to big---use it for detail painting and , say, feather edge camo demarcations. just in my opinion toby1.

dave.

is i an AB-400, its not exactly the sony of the airbrush world but im getting lines as fine as .5mm (image of brush attatched). ive heard several people say that games workshop acrylic works just fine, is there any truth to this.

primarialy ile be aurbrushing large GW models including forgeworld, i also intend to do a large RC spitfire. im used to using water based acrylics so ide preffer to stay with them if i can, the few uses of enamels ive had were disasters

Hi That looks like a good airbrush but I am not familiar with that brand. Maybe someone here will know more. As far as acrylic paints I have not tried them but many modelers really like them. If you want to use acrylics then get all the info you can and give it a shot. As far as I am concerned airbrushing is 10% know how and 90% pratice.

Texas :rolleyes: <_< :P

crikey----it's top class--AB are in the same league as passche or devilbliss as far as i know---but judging by the picture this is a double action gun---be prepared to practice, practice, practice---for we know what practice makes! oh! one thing---don't plan on airbrushing any large R/C spits-- or any really large flying models---at least not the basic colour---there just to big---use it for detail painting and , say, feather edge camo demarcations. just in my opinion toby1.

dave.

yes it is indeed double action, when i biught it just about all i knew was that if i wanted pricision i needed a double. so there real good then, thats nice to know. at least ive got myself to a good start. ive allways believed that using an inferior product to practice makes you toaly unprepared for the good stuff, you just get into too many bad habits that you developed as tricks to get round the shortcomings of a cheap tool

yes it is indeed double action, when i biught it just about all i knew was that if i wanted pricision i needed a double. so there real good then, thats nice to know. at least ive got myself to a good start. ive allways believed that using an inferior product to practice makes you toaly unprepared for the good stuff, you just get into too many bad habits that you developed as tricks to get round the shortcomings of a cheap tool

yes ----and no toby1 single action might have been the ideal to teach things like mixes and technique---then on to double---which is ---well, difficult---but the rewards are there IF your"e prepared to, as i said, practice, practice----and at first don"t be seduced (i nearly said --the dark side)! by feeling you need to use it for absolutely everything!

just mentioning, what amounts to my own failings, some years ago.

cheers,

dave.

yes ----and no toby1 single action might have been the ideal to teach things like mixes and technique---then on to double---which is ---well, difficult---but the rewards are there IF your"e prepared to, as i said, practice, practice----and at first don"t be seduced (i nearly said --the dark side)! by feeling you need to use it for absolutely everything!

just mentioning, what amounts to my own failings, some years ago.

cheers,

dave.

i like jumping in at the deep end and having a steep learning curve, i find if learning is a nightmare you end up with a good solid diciplined way of working, cos at every stage your reminded how many times you got it wrong and how good it was to get it realy good,

fear not the force is with me :rolleyes: .

Is handedness a hinderance. for instance I am left handed, im assuming this wont make the slightest bit of differance. but its always good to make shure

Is handedness a hinderance. for instance I am left handed, im assuming this wont make the slightest bit of differance. but its always good to make shure

no--- not really-----unless other guys have difficulties who are left handed!

dave.

so far so good, now could to with advise on painting cammo, no matter how hard i try i cant stop thinking about the pattern, it should be randon but i keep makeing it structured and in some cases symetrical. What can i do? its driving we wappy

so far so good, now could to with advise on painting cammo, no matter how hard i try i cant stop thinking about the pattern, it should be randon but i keep makeing it structured and in some cases symetrical. What can i do? its driving we wappy

not quite right there toby1---very, very few camo patterns are random! most are done to definite parameters and vary only very slightly from aircraft to aircraft. it all depends on researching your particular model.

dave.