Barry

I thought I would start this off. I know some of you are already working on the new Trumpeter F-8.
My first impression was Nice Kit. Looks like and F-8 and It is certainly big enough.

I am building an inflight display. I thought that I might extend the refueling probe and maybe have the speed brake extended. If I go with the refueling probe extended I will build a drogue and hose then position a/c on approach to contact.

Like I said I did not see any really glaring issues until I got to looking at the cooling vents for the forward avionics (radar) bay either side of the nose just aft of the radome. Trumpeter has molded these on a raised panel. All the photos I have found show the vents but they are blended into the fuselage in a tear drop shaped fairing. I know that the nose of the "E" model was enlarged to accommodate the new larger radar.

After fitting up all the landing gear doors, RAT and gun bays doors I set about reworking the vents into a fairing.

First photos are of the kit fuselage with the basic outline of the fairing marked off with tape.

post-4217-1228502184.jpg

Edited by Barry

Barry, i'm a bit confused on this subject, maybe you can shed some light on it....:

I have this kit right in front of me, and indeed the vents are more or less raised and should be flush with the fuselage itself according to "detail&scale F8Crusader", F-8 Crusader "in action" and "naval fighters number sixteen The vought F8 Crusader, but funny enough i can't seem to find any pictures in the afore mentioned booklets indicating this teardrop-ish surrounding of the vents itself........as a matter of fact the pictures indicate these vents just being flush with the fuselage, so i hope the kits nose has already the proper shape for the enlarged nose cone of the real F8E, ergo the vents should only be made flush with the fuselage.....

could you supply us with this picture, so we can also adjust what you have done already??

TIA

Jack :lol:

Hi Barry, thanks for the picture, but i think maybe this was a "special" version of the "E" type, since all the other pictures on tha F8E don't show it..

Have a look at the picture i sent, it's from Airliners.net, and it shows a E-version cockpit in front (actually it's the same aircraft as in your picture i think), which to my opinion doesn't have this bulge.

So i think it would suffice to have the raised detail with the vents flushed into the fuselage, which ofcourse would also mean some carefull sanding and polishing in order to save the surrounding detailing, well i'm gonna try anyhow...

have fun building the F8E

J :lol:

post-16-1228511046.jpg

Hi Barry, thanks for the picture, but i think maybe this was a "special" version of the "E" type, since all the other pictures on tha F8E don't show it..

Have a look at the picture i sent, it's from Airliners.net, and it shows a E-version cockpit in front, which to my opinion doesn't have this bulge.

So i think it would suffice to have the raised detail with the vents flushed into the fuselage, which ofcourse would also mean some carefull sanding and polishing in order to save the surrounding detailing, well i'm gonna try anyhow...

have fun building the F8E

J :lol:

J,

I do not believe that the forward section shown in the photo is an E, it clearly has the 3 vents of the earlier versions not the 4 of the E/J.

Also you can see that the sides on the nose and radome are much flatter that those of the E/J.

I am curious as to what the one in the back is though, it has vents that I can see?

I also believe that the "shadow" is what makes the fairing visible in the photo.

Barry

yeah, you could be right on that, i agree, but then again i couldn't find any pictures on the E version in the books i mentioned with this obvious bulge.

But i'm not an F8U expert, so i'll just try to flatten and flush the detailing into the fuselage, we'll see

happy modelling,

yeah, you could be right on that, i agree, but then again i couldn't find any pictures on the E version in the books i mentioned with this obvious bulge.

But i'm not an F8U expert, so i'll just try to flatten and flush the detailing into the fuselage, we'll see

happy modelling,

Jack,

Take a look at page 60 and 61 of Naval Fighters #16.

Looking at the view of the nose profile on the plan view, view looking down.

Compair the profile of the C model on page 60 with that of the E model on page 61.

You can see the bulge of the fairing below the line of the windscreen of the E as compaired to the nearly flat profile of the C.

You can also see where the nose profile curves back into the radome on the E compaired to the C.

I am sure either way you will have an excellent model.

Best Regards,

Barry

The 2 in the pic are a C or K based on the nose perhaps and earlier mark.......painted up for a later aircraft. Perhaps a "throw" together as both nose sections have a full pane windscreen..... No IR sensor ;that was on the D,E,J,H.... so they are either an A,B,C,K or mix there of. The orignal pic ... (with the bulge) appears to me as a shadow cast on the aircraft. Considering the tops of the sailors and the majority of the aircarft is in the shade the sun does not go onto the coming under the wind screen, but shows on to the equal area of the nose in and there is no glare off the glass. I could be wrong. Great work anyway!!!!!

S!

Jack,

Take a look at page 60 and 61 of Naval Fighters #16.

Looking at the view of the nose profile on the plan view, view looking down.

Compair the profile of the C model on page 60 with that of the E model on page 61.

You can see the bulge of the fairing below the line of the windscreen of the E as compaired to the nearly flat profile of the C.

You can also see where the nose profile curves back into the radome on the E compaired to the C.

I am sure either way you will have an excellent model.

Best Regards,

Barry

Barry i see your point, i indeed can see some difference, i'll just wing it... :lol: but i'm not convinced :)

Is it not great that we all have nothing better to do than this, Man I Love this hobby!

Jack,

I concurn with your latest photo Jack, it is most assuredly a E/J.

I would call your attention to the very obivious curvature of the radome at the point in intersects the fuselage.

If you look for the fairing from that point back into the fuselage I believe you can see it though not as well as in the other photo.

Having Fun,

Barry