F-4S Phantom

ruzlkampf

That is a cool idea with the film Russ. Just might have to try that myself. I just puddled up "Mr. Detailer" in a shade I wanted and let it dry to a nice shiny finish. Not as good as the film.

Bad news, "The King" has been eyeing the thud so I have moved it to a holding area out of his reach. He told me I need to work on something with a propeller.

Keep plugging away before that 10 day attention span closes! :rolleyes:

Like the work so far mate, right click save as for my upcoming F4S. Never knew about those vents that's a good find. about those stiffeners under the wing. you enlarged a booklet from a Tamiya kit but what kit was is as my f4J booklet didn't have those stiffeners drawn on the parts list ;)

the intakes are a blast, nice clean work with those now I want to try that myself as well if I fail there's still intake covers :lol:

Thanx for the thread its a pleasure to look at an follow along.

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Thanks, Frederick! The stiffeners aren't drawn on the Tamiya parts list on their directions....sorry i didn't make that so clear. I enlarged those drawings, and drew them on, then highlighted them in orange so everybody could see what I was trying to do. I enlarged the drawing of the bottom wing/fuse too, so I could re-draw my inboard slats and actuator locations in scale without drawing all over my kit parts. They Tamiya drawings enlarge perfectly in scale to the kit parts size...no distortion. Can't find any decent F-4 drawings, so I'm just using these to doodle on.

Finished off the fuse, engine parts, and cockpit today as planned. Had a 'god ole time' painting my AVIATORS helmets, and finishing off the ejection seats/cockpit. Even managed to semi-pull off the little devils heads squadron markings on the visor. :blink: Had to put the eyeballs and semblance of a mouth on with the head of a toothpick, but pulled off the rest with my new custom brush made from the baleen bristles from the mouth of a Gray whale. Trying to one-up Matt on painting is tough, he's a hard act to follow. :P Even got my patches on the sleeves of the pilots this time. Whoohoo! :lol:

Here's some last pics of Abbot & Costello before getting put in their 'office', and the emblem I had to mirror on both sides of their visors. Sheesh.

post-4413-1227771942.jpg

Onto the wing!!!! :lol: Even though I have some nice reference material, with pics of these naval slats being worked on and dis-assembled, I am too lazy to scan images on my flat-bed scanner and do a major write-up on how these things look. If anybody is interested, PM me and I'll send some detailed images. Surfing the web, I found this pic that just about says it all pertaining to what I'll be doing next. Still waiting on my CAM F-4S conversion, and I'm not sure if it will arrive in time...or at all. Soooo, I'm going to start with the inboard slats first as they aren't included in this conversion anyway. Maybe the outboards will show up before I get to them, but I ain't waiting! ;)

This is the Cutting Edge resin slat set installed. Looks great, but I don't think they're available anymore. :P Putting this image here cause it shows beautifully what is under those slats. The slats themselves are slightly different than the AF versions, and I'll get into that later. Also, the wingtips are different because of the sensors and tape lights. Gonna have to change those also. The only thing I don't see in this pic is the reinforcing 'strip' that goes behind the outboard slats, and MAYBE some reinforcing plates at the wing-fold. I'm still doing research as I'm building this, so more might be uncovered. These following pics are just an over-view to show what I've discovered, and what I'm going to be trying to do. Anybody have any pertinent info,...feel free to chime in as I'm making this up as I go along. I didn't know jack about F-4S's until about a week ago. :blink:

post-4413-1227774563.jpg

View from the rear. I want my inboard and outboard slats extended just like this. Making another trip to the Midway this weekend to see about those 'stiffening strips'. The slats on the F-4S's on the Midway are closed, and I don't have any detailed pics of the actuating arms except in my books. Also want to take a looong hard look at the panel lines on that outboard wing to see if anything else is changed on the real AC.

post-4413-1227774905.jpg

Here is a pic of the best F-4S conversion I've seen. Got all the lights, antennas, in the correct places...AND the reason for showing this pic....has that irregularly shaped reinforcing plate behind the outboard slats. I have drawings I'll show later when I get to that area. Some notes are included to show changes done to the upper fuse to get it correct from what the kit supplies.

post-4413-1227775059.jpg

Okay, those pics were to show a broad over-view of what I'll be attempting. Here's where I was on my lower fuse/wing after a few mods that I already did. I'm going to be starting on the inboard slats first, as there is an outside chance the CAM conversion for the outer slats may arrive. FYI, Paragon Designs makes a resin set for these inner slats for the AF F-4E. I can only find them in England or Japan, and I can't wait. Navy inboard slats don't fit flush with the leading edge, and have a , uhmm...blunter airfoil shape is the only way I know how to describe it. Not going to get into the minutae of the differences, I'm just gong to model the navy versions....and let others compare. Hey, I just look at the pics and slather putty...not an F-4 expert. :lol:

Got some of my under wing stores mocked up(oooh, I hope I get my TERs with those slats!), and ready for surgery. Before I cut plastic, I'm going to be showing where I'll make my cuts on plans I've enlarged, and where everything is placed.(those under wing actuators, ect.) So it begins.....more pics as thigs progress, Russ

post-4413-1227776127.jpg

Sweet work on the helmets Russ. Awesome. Isn't it fun to learn way too much about a specific airframe design. That's what I love about this, the research. I have about six kits in my stash and about six hundred reference books in my library.

Keep up the great work. It gives me hope that I might finish something again, someday.

Matt

He he, Thanks Matt. Round 1 of "The Wing". Darn thing got in the first punch tonight, as I realized my spar stiffening strap was too big! Gahhhh. :P Had to spend a wasted hour diceing, sliceing, and cussin, to get them whittled down to a more svelte size. Didn't gouge or bugger anything up,,,,I couldn't be so lucky ever again. Whew!

First step in this wing was to make my 'strategically placed line", that of course doesn't really do anything, to make me feel like I'm doing something. Bwhahahah! :P Naw, if I was to reproduce these in resin for mass consumption,...this is where I would have cut the wing to make an 'assembly'. Here's a pic of how much I had to take off those darn straps and my LINE. Port side is already done, starboard side strap is marked to show how much I had to take it down. Set atop some plans I deem acceptable for using only as a guide.

post-4413-1227799437.jpg