F-4S Phantom

ruzlkampf

Okay, here's a shot after I glued thin styrene flat stock between the feathers for strength. Under a lot of compressed pressure to hold it in this housing at this point, but I can control the size of the exhaust opening by how far I've got it stuffed into this thing. And it stays round. So far the experiment is going tolerably well. That will soon change. :lol:

post-4413-1227493988.jpg

Because it was under so much pressure, I decided to go around the outside with a dribble of thin glue between the feathers to give it a little more 'ooomph'. Ahh yes, that's the ticket.(but stupid in hindsight) Showing unusual patience and restraint, I was sitting there letting it setup good and tight before messing with it. Drinking yet more coffee, and basking in the glow of actually maybe having pulled this off I was looking at this tape dispenser. Hmmm, I thunk, "if i was Tamiya, and I made this, I'd probably use what I had tons of laying around....styrene. Gaahhhh!!!! And I just glued around the outside of my nozzle. Aiiyeee! Ripped off the tape, and this popped into the air about 3 feet like a 'bouncing betty' anti-personnel mine, or a champagne cork. Whoohoo! :huh:

I will not divulge my crude 'damage control' technique as some things are best left unsaid. :huh: Using the same tape dispenser (yes, even a mule stumbles over the same stone twice), and some proprietary knowledge I concocted, this is what I pulled out today after letting it dry all night. Still needs finishing, this is the raw product. Now that I know how to do this, the other should only take me about an hour. In theory. :lol:

post-4413-1227494915.jpg

Hey Dave! Glad to see you've got some spare time to check things out! (unlike this ole vacation dog, heh heh.) :rolleyes: Had to run down the last juice in the batteries so i can do a re-charge....so these pics are for you. Working on buttoning up the fuse, and wanted to get a shot of the new intakes. Weren't you the person who told me ya couldn't go wrong building a 'spook'? :huh: :P Hmmm, things have gone awry somehow. Here's the intakes WITH the air-flow sensors attached ready for glueing. Geesh, I can't believe I remembered em. More creative lighting, ta dah!

post-4413-1227501849.jpg

post-4413-1227501859.jpg

Wanted to refine my hacked up exhausts a little by dribbling this Mr. Hobby dissolved putty between the feathers. Gives them a less 'faceted' look, and hides a lot of the bumbles. Stuff shrinks (which i actually want) down inside the gaps and leaves a nice refined edge. Not a glued together look. Also whittled the white styrene strips inside down to a feathered edge on the exhaust edges. Gonna flow some putty inside there too. Love this stuff.

post-4413-1227501957.jpg

Your build wants me to start on my own F-4S project! Thank you for the build article since I did not know about the strengthening straps under the wings. I am also unsure as to the positioning of the actuators for the slats on the inner wings. I had heard that they are "similar" to the F-4E slats, but finding accurate references has been a real pain. I envy you being able to crawl under the Midway's F-4S!

Yeah ,Silvanus...it took me awhile to get my references together. Stay tuned, I'll be starting on the slats shortly! :)

Other engine nozzle re-sized. Working on getting the fuse done, so I've been very BZ. If my CAM F-4S conversion kit doesn't arrive soon, I'll be scratching those slats from scrap. Meh, I was planning on doing it anyway. Almost took a right turn into Russville today when I finally found info on the F-4J(UK). Whoooo. Guess they bought a squadron to send to the Falklands while waiting for the Tornados to come on line. Hmmm, cool paint scheme....but it was either scratch the slats...or a gunpod. I don't think they were furnished with slats...Derek? Guess I'll stay on track until more info is acquired. :ph34r:

post-4413-1227620629.jpg

You continue to blow me away, my friend! Those intakes are so smooth inside they look like glass...

I like the spaghetti-o's! Are you going to fill the holes you drilled to drop them through?

I think you might have to actually keep this one when you're done. :)

Initial painting on the cockpit. Cutting out film negative material (remember that?) for the radar scopes, and doing various other what-nots. Pilots are coming along nicely, but I had to shorten Mr. 'Thumbs Up' arm about 2mm to clear the upper panel. Glad I test fit everything first, whew! Got this pic a little TOO close, but I'm too busy to take another. More pics as things progress. Time for some ice-cream! :) Russ

post-4413-1227620924.jpg

He he, naw Dave,...this ones already got a new home planned. Yep, gonna fill those holes. Still got a gazillion little things to do before buttoning this thing up. I'm deviating from the plans big-time now, so I've got to plan the painting sequence like the D-Day invasion. Got more updates for later on this afternoon...this is where I was last night. Russ

PS, I sure am having a hoot building this thing. This is more fun than whanging on a 'flying V' guitar....with the distortion set to 11. Whoohoo! :)