F-4S Phantom

ruzlkampf

Here's why I drew the line, and why it's so damn ugly when somebody gazes into the intake. I'm going to be smoothing this out after GLUEING the outer 1/2 of the intake trunk to this outside nacelle. :rolleyes: Bear with me here, this works like a charm and I've already fitted and dry run this a couple of times.

post-4413-1227006228.jpg

Here are my basic pieces for my 'seamless intake'. Wide open for me to putty fill all slots, seam lines, and what-not. The trick is in the sequence it's put together. I will fill all the holes in both halves, then take the outer trunk, glue it to the nacelle,...fair that in, then glue the inner side to this completed half. I still have enough room to fill that seam after joining.

post-4413-1227006878.jpg

This intake assembly will drop straight in as one piece. Doesn't affect the fit of the lower wing to fuse joint, and uses all kit pieces. It's just assembled in a different order, in a different way. I'll be taking pics as I go along to clarify. Can't wait to take that last pic of a flashight shining into it from the engine end,....and it'll be seamless. Whahoo! :rolleyes:

post-4413-1227007331.jpg

I agree with Kevin. You are most certainly mad. Bold move with the repair. Make sure we get a good closeup of the intake!

Oh and bring on the nano-tech bristles. I am ready!

When you can snatch the pale morning dun...

corsairwip4015.jpg

Ha, Russ, my young padawan, you learn qucikly! I like what you have done - if I had (could afford ;)) a Tamiya Phantom, I would also have carried out the 'seamless' intake mod in pretty much the same way you have done - so there is still hope for you yet! :rolleyes: (it's all about thinking and forward planning - just 'wing it as you go along' for the rest ;)). I have started a Revell 1/32 Phantom RF-4C kit (only the front end so far), so I have not yet even considered how I am to tackle my intakes, let alone even look at them!

Cheers

Derek

What duh heck is THAT? Have you been torturing bugs again Matt? ;) Chasing moths around the house with a flame-thrower again I see. ;) Man, how did you know I'd want a data plate like that for my 1/1 scale ejection seat...whooo, you're good. Real good. Even though I'm consoled by the fact that even though this F-4 is taking up my entire cutting board; your F-105 is bigger and taking up yet MORE space in your work area ;) ....I was bummed tonight. Thanks for cheering me up with the the 'double broadside' above. (I actually blew rootbeer out my nose I was laughing so hard! he he)

Yea, even though I thought I was riding the crest of my own fashion wave with this intake mod....it ain't so. This mod has been done before. Surfing the web looking for F-4S minutae, I discovered another VF-301 1/32nd scale build on ARC(?), and the build was EXACTLY like I planned on doing mine.(except for AC #, and mine has pilots) He even did the intake mod I'm doing to the letter. :rolleyes: Even had a travel pod and all the stuff I planned on doing. Hmmm.

On the lighter side, I did order a CAM F-4S mod kit and TER tonight. Don't have a clue what's in it as there was no pic. Hope it arrives before I finish. Also discovered they have 3 F-4S's on the USS Midway(which is here in San Diego harbor) I can go look at and take pics of. Whoohoo! But I again digress; Back to the intakes on day 3 of this build.

Started to putty and fill in all the seams/sink marks, and stuff to make these intakes smooth. BTW, they AREN'T supposed to be smooth! :o Here's a pic of the 'real deal'. hmmm.

post-4413-1227099080.jpg

Heeey, thanks Derek. :rolleyes: But nothing new under the sun....it's already been done I found out. ;) I searched to find out how they do seamless intakes on 1/48 F-4's, and lo...they are cast almost exactly like I'm doing mine in one piece. At least I'm on the right track? Gonna have to do something unique to mine now to set it apart from the 'herd'.

Where was I? intakes,...right. Okay, here on the right is my almost completed intake trunk. All the styrene on the outside looks like crap, but I don't give a pinch of owl dung. It won't show. On the left is what it looked like before 'modding the mod'. The 2 halves aren't glued together yet.

post-4413-1227099488.jpg