1/32 trolley accumulator

R Palimaka

Don't worry Derek, I was not refering to your comment! ;-)

Regarding the tires, there are different similar wheels but I'm wondering regarding the size...

I'm more particularly thinking to 1/35 kits of German SdAh 51 trailers used to carry Flak 30 or 38 AA guns. They look very similar. Another type is similar to the 1/35th ones of the Austin Tilly car. I'm sure one 1/35 wheel may be used as a basis.

Thierry

I think that you may be right Thierry. Your suggestions are very good, so anyone with an 1/35 AFV affinity and some spare wheels/tyres may just save the day for me!

So far, I have had to 'guess' how large the trolley is because i have no actual dimensions to work from (just one confirmed dimension would be enough for me to work from). The three types of wheel may be similar in diameter, although i would not be surprised if they actually differ slightly, so similar 1/35 wheels may well work.

I have really only just started it, so if I have got it wrong, then it is only plastic card that I will scrap (at this stage)...I can make a new one fairly quickly. I have a suspicion that the wheels may be standard items already in use on agricultural equipment such as tractors and trailers of the period, but I have found nothing to confirm this as yet?

Thanks

Derek

• 10 years later...

Rumour has it that Scalewarships plan to re-release their 1:24 trolley "in time for Christmas". Which is nice.

Does anyone know if the "splitter" trolley seen in Aeroguide 12 to enable a single 25 kVA Houchin to power 2 Harrier GR.3s on the flight line is derived from this same WW2 trolley?

Ps/ Did your trolley ever make it into production, Derek?

The 'splitters' common to Harrier & Jaguar flightlines were made up from redundant trolley-accs. Chassis, wheels & towing arm were unchanged (though a fat & chunky adaptor was bolted onto the original, rather small, eye to enable it to be towed by Douglas tractors & Landies).

A wooden box was made up to contain two separate outward supplies (hence the 'split') with a female adaptor (identical to the aircraft plug) to feed the juice in from the Houchin.

Thanks Ossington!

Don't suppose you could point me to any pictures? I've scoured Google, Bing etc with only the 1 grainy picture taken from the Aeroguide book (which would seem to be the only Harrier book I don't have). The eye info is great as I was planning to include a Landie.

No sign just yet of the ScaleWarship re-release. Still on the front page of their website but the link has been dead for some time.

Edited by Kirk

Found something:

Ground Crew Equipment & Uniforms - The 4 Squadron Collection

groundcrew-equipment-1024x487.jpg

This is subtly different to the one in Aeroguide 12 - not least in that it only appears to have a single pair of cables to connect to the aircraft. The other picture shows the GPU pluggin in at the aft end (where the red "lump" is) and the connection to each a/c comprising of 2 cables as per the picture above.

Many thanks! Always love an AP document.

I'm beginning to build up a clearer picture now, but still have a few questions:

Did the wooden box with the outward supplies sit on top of the main box and run for about 3/4 of its length, with cables coming off the forward end? (this is what I think I see in the grainy Aeroguide pic).

By "flip flop" model, do you mean that rear tow hook (ball?) folds down? I don't think this is on the Aeroguide pic as the power input appears to connect here.

I take if that the castering wheel at the front can be lifted out of the way on that bracket with the 5 holes in, then lowered down for moving it around when not towed?

Thanks again for your valuable insights.