Aussie Naval A-4G

ruzlkampf

Didn't get as much on this as I wanted tonight, cause I went shopping for a new flat-bed scanner. Oh boy, oh boy...a new toy to help me with my decal making. Got some gnarly projects coming for the new year, and I needed to expand my capabilities.

Got the first coat of gull gray shot tonight. Revealed a bit more finishing work, so I stopped here to let it dry....and hook up my new scanner. I want to get the decals printed up at work tomorrow, so I'll be a scanning/editing fool for the rest of the night. Next step is to paint the area of the leading edge slats, flap area, insides of the spoilers, and those awesome checkerboards on the tail red. Now that the basic color scheme is painted, the rest should go pretty quickly. here's the latest;

post-4413-1226393896.jpg

BLAST! Missed that little gap where the intakes glue to the fuse. No big whup, it gets another mist coat yet. The white undersides also come up the sides of the fuse on the nose much further than the US versions, so I've gotta re-do the demarcation line there too. :angry: This bird is going to get a LOT more colorful in the next few days. Gotta go make some 'red roos' in a blue circle the correct size for decals....so I gotta slide outta here now. More pics later, Russ

post-4413-1226394408.jpg

He he, that's still the pile of colors I used for the cockpit, Kevin. This thing took an entire jar of ModelMasters 'classic white' for the undersides! ;) Yeah, I'm pretty pumped about getting the national insignia and all the markings on it. This paint scheme is going to be LOUD!!!!

Whaahoo! :blink: I'm so stoked about my new scanner. Made some new decals tonight, cut em out...and placed them on the plane to make sure I got them the right size before actually putting them in the water. Getting ready to start painting the red on this critter tonight...but I wanted to show ya'll another walk-around of my gun installation, how my flaps turned out, and finally got the wheels put on. Ooooh yeah, and a preview of what the decals will look like on it. :lol:

First off; my stores test fit.

post-4413-1226477428.jpg

Feeling kinda peppy tonight, so I thought I'd try a few 'Kevin Klose-ups'. I really suck at this, so bear with me. :blink:

Rear view of the flap mod. Had some bizarre sink marks on the speed brakes I had to fill, but meh...decals cover most of these anyway.

post-4413-1226477532.jpg

Wheeww, too close for me, better back it off a little. Here's some of the markings I made tonight. Geesh, I love these 'red roo's'!!! :blink: Starting to look a lot more like an Australian Naval Air Superiority machine, eh?! heh heh. :lol:

post-4413-1226478144.jpg

Looking good Russ. Those Aussie roundels look spot on to me, though I can hardly claim to be an expert. You're flying through this one as usual, but doing such a good job at the same time. I'm not a jet guy, but I've now got a hankerin' for an Aussie Skyhawk!

Kev

Hi Russ,

My one and only claim to fame is serving as a medic on the Melbourne and getting to watch those Skyhawks launching and returning on board.

A point of interest is the flare dispenser on the rear of the model was not used or fitted to our A4-G's. Hope its not too late to sand it down.

The aircraft flown on board when I was drafted to her was a mix of the grey/white and the two greys, a couple of which had the horses head on the tail.

The G/W ones had the red and white checked tails and you are right the "birdies" used to maintain them pretty well. They were quite clean to keep the effects of the salty air down. We also had Trackers and Seakings as well as a Wessex or Iroquois for SAR duties.

I was "dunked" a couple of times out of the Wessex during exercises to aid downed aircrew. Not fun as the water was pretty cold in May/June.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, it is an honor to have you checking out my tribute to the RAN, and the HMAS Melbourne! :rolleyes: Not a coincidence you should mention that chaff dispenser.(I was gawking at it trying to figure out what it was, when I noticed the OTHER 2 RAWR receivers I didn't take off right above the jet exhaust. Aaaaagh!) It sent me on a flurry of looking at pics, and...lo and behold,...it doesn't belong there. You might also notice the 2 RAWR bumps(or whatever they are) I missed above the jet exhaust in the previous pics of my flaps from the rear. Ooops. That stopped the painting of red cold.

My next A-4 models will be the scheme you mentioned, and a Kiwi version. Stay tuned to this thread Tim, I've GOT an HMAS Melbourne that I'll be flying ops off of digitally very soon and posting pics.(heck, I've been practising every night for a week now trying to land. :huh: ) I've even digitally re-painted the carrier to reflect the correct flightdeck colors of this period. I'll be sure to include pics of me flying around in this color scheme too. This is for you.

post-4413-1226497893.jpg

Very cool paint-scheme. B)