Rex in Limbo

pennausamike

• 7 years later...

I honestly can't believe it has been NINE years since I worked on this one...

well, maybe I can.

BUT, I've taken a little time off to enjoy the fireplace and Winter Olympics

and to try and get back into 32nd scale modeling again.

I rooted through my "shelf of doom" and chose a few projects to repair

78th FG P-47

to make a little progress on

Z-M Shinden

and to hopefully wrap up (although spray painting is a challenge outdoors in the dead of winter).

Ohka

P-51 "Big Beautiful Doll"

Rex floatplane.

I'm nearly ready to start on final painting of the Rex, because the puttying is FINALLY done.

nextJPEG_zps340211af.jpg

I haven't decided on final markings, but I can put on the basic color scheme.

I hope to have this completed by summer

Mike

Edited by pennausamike

Wow, from 2004 it creeps back to life!!  :lol:

hand-zombie-grave-e1325617835981_WIP.jpg

Great stuff Mike!!!

I am really interested in this one as a long while ago, I traded off my Matterhorn Circle Atar 9C engine kit and some other rare stuff, in trade for a SB Rex conversion, a Revell mid-wing George, and a set of Moskit exhausts for an F4U.

I have always wanted to start teh Rex, but I KNOW how much work its going to be. ESPECIALLY considering that:

A. - The SB conversion will take some work, as the cowl has a very rounded lip, and is missing that distinctive "knife edge" end to the forward lip of the cowl, as well as some other flaws in the resin.

n1k1-1.jpg

and

B. - Im going to attempt the Rex prototype, with contra-rotating props:

air_n1k_12.jpg

65_26.jpg

Great work so far, and really interested in how it comes out!!

• 5 years later...

It has only been about 14 years since I started this build, but I'm FINALLY closing in on the finish line.  I want to have this finished for a get-together with some aviation museum/ model building friends this upcoming Saturday.  I've tinkered with building a few projects over the last decade, but haven't finished a plastic model.  The biggest thing I'm finding is that my skills and eye sight have degraded to the point where this isn't as fun and relaxing as I remember it.  I've never minded that I'm not as skilled as some of the amazing builders on this (and other) modelling sites, but I had sort of settled into a hobby comfort zone of satisfaction with my results.  Well, I'm trying a lot harder it seems to achieve even those results, but hey, at least I'm building again.

So without further ado, here is my closer-to-finished Rex from the front.

Jap%20Rex_11_zpstie4whzi.jpg

and from the back.

Jap%20Rex_12_zpse2vvtaiy.jpg

Still a fair amount to do, but at least it looks like an airplane instead of an ad for body putty.

Mike

Edited by pennausamike
pics

• 3 months later...

And sloooooowly I'm inching toward the finish line on this one.  The sad part is, at 15 years, this won't be the longest build out of my collection.

This model is unique in that, as it has no landing gear, it can be displayed in-flight or parked.  But to display it parked, I would need to build a beaching dolly.  And then, it wouldn't be "done" until I finished the dolly.  Never mind; in-flight it is!

DSCN1902_zpsbfsve5kv.jpg

I still have to paint the leading edge yellow stripes.  I don't know why, but I have terrible luck with yellow; spray, brush, no base color, use a base color; I just can't get yellow to apply nicely.

The weathering on this will be kept very minimal, as I've lost what little touch I had there, as well.  Practice makes perfect, so if I can keep building, I should get back to my old level.

DSCN1904_zpstdqfaxld.jpg

My next kit is the second of the three-plane Rex/ George family,

DSCN1900_zpsdmcbk5yr.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, after less than two decades, I'm calling this complete.  The whole Kawanishi family is ready for the display shelf.  The Shiden Kai was sitting on a busted tail wheel for a long time, so I fixed that.  The Rex was in-process for (I think) 16 years or so.  And I knocked out the old Shiden in one month.  Feels good to have them all off the "to-do" lists.

DSCN1986_Copy(1).JPG?width=590&height=37

DSCN1986_Copy(1).JPG

Note: Photobucket changed their site, and the Image links aren't the same as they used to be, so I posted it two ways to see what works best.  So folks should be seeing a smaller pic on top, larger on the bottom.

Edited by pennausamike
photobucket sharing issues