Revell 1/32 F4F-4 wildcat

hangartime

Yes, ancient but it doesn't look bad when complete (Marlet turned out ok). Not knowing much about it - this time I'll go for the 'Atlantic' colour scheme of white with grey topside camo. Quite simple but I'd like to give this a go. I got this kit as part of a 'chuck out' from someone else. The decals had grown mould and been discoloured and the once dark blue plastic has gone a funny purplish/faded gray colour. I think most of the parts are there except for the wheels, which can be replaced if I don't find them. I can find other decals for it and instructions are a parchment yellow. The box was growing some kind of weird fungus and thrown out - the old box art was for the 'Smithsonian'. Talk about starting on the back foot. Still - can't complain it's not a challenge.

Yes, ancient but it doesn't look bad when complete (Marlet turned out ok). Not knowing much about it - this time I'll go for the 'Atlantic' colour scheme of white with grey topside camo. Quite simple but I'd like to give this a go. I got this kit as part of a 'chuck out' from someone else. The decals had grown mould and been discoloured and the once dark blue plastic has gone a funny purplish/faded gray colour. I think most of the parts are there except for the wheels, which can be replaced if I don't find them. I can find other decals for it and instructions are a parchment yellow. The box was growing some kind of weird fungus and thrown out - the old box art was for the 'Smithsonian'. Talk about starting on the back foot. Still - can't complain it's not a challenge.

Welcome to the GB Ian! Now, why does this scenario sound familiar? :)

Kev

Are you sure we didn't get these kits from the same guy?

Anyway - here's the someone started 2% then gave up shot.

post-4444-1222854685.jpg

And here's the other Martlet option of the same kit, so this is what it can be - so I know it has potential.

post-4444-1222854782.jpg

Tonights start is the usual looking at the cockpit - 4 pieces will assemble the cockpit tub including instrument panel and pilot stick, all very basic. A pilot will be added (thanks to Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire kit) with minor alterations. Seeing it's so simple an assembly it's probably better shown after paint is applied - will be the usual interior green or zinc chromate colour.

Engine was pulled out and looked at - quick brushing and let dry and on with a wash. Reasonable detail so I'll work with what I have to tidy it up.

post-4444-1223270585.jpg

Minor painting of the smaller details. Wiring still to be done - only minor but it does lift the detail with a bit of colour.

post-4444-1223270617.jpg

Brass tubing was inserted in the prop and engine hub - allows free turning and quick and easy removal. Rear blades to be filled and prop to be painted.

post-4444-1223270653.jpg

Thanks Gregory - It looks as if I'm just overlooking most details - so this time (having done the Martlet) I know what will be seen and what won't. This time I'll concentrate on the exterior and wing fold area and not worry so much about internals.... which I did last time and ended up not seeing any of it when I closed it up. :P

Moving along on this.... the landing gear has to be the worst part - about 7 pieces all warped and bent. Each piece had to be flattened with a book or twisted back into shape before gluing each part separately. Once complete - that has to be the worst part (so far) over.

post-4444-1223965224.jpg

Dry fit of gear onto bulkhead. Still need to do the instrument panel so that will be next before adding in pilot and putting fuselage together.

post-4444-1223965259.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Ian,

How goes the project? I've been looking forward to seeing what's next!

Well, I'm hanging in there (hence name) but I'm disappointed that the plastic is so brittle. I've had breakages with the wing hinges so it'll either be a wings folded or a ... hey.. there's a DC3 flying aroun doutside. Ok - shows over nice sound - dark blue fin with yellow stars on it - civvie job.

Back to the kit - parts broken so wings will have to be fully folded or extended. I've been gluing top and bottom wing halves and sanding and fillings gaps in wings/fuselage. I'm afraid there's nothing exciting to post as it's all elbow work. When it's all sanded (hopefully next day or so - I can put up a pic then start looking at applying some paint... (hooray).

Cheers