Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hangartime

Revell 1/32 F4F-4 wildcat

Recommended Posts

Yes, ancient but it doesn't look bad when complete (Marlet turned out ok). Not knowing much about it - this time I'll go for the 'Atlantic' colour scheme of white with grey topside camo. Quite simple but I'd like to give this a go. I got this kit as part of a 'chuck out' from someone else. The decals had grown mould and been discoloured and the once dark blue plastic has gone a funny purplish/faded gray colour. I think most of the parts are there except for the wheels, which can be replaced if I don't find them. I can find other decals for it and instructions are a parchment yellow. The box was growing some kind of weird fungus and thrown out - the old box art was for the 'Smithsonian'. Talk about starting on the back foot. Still - can't complain it's not a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, ancient but it doesn't look bad when complete (Marlet turned out ok). Not knowing much about it - this time I'll go for the 'Atlantic' colour scheme of white with grey topside camo. Quite simple but I'd like to give this a go. I got this kit as part of a 'chuck out' from someone else. The decals had grown mould and been discoloured and the once dark blue plastic has gone a funny purplish/faded gray colour. I think most of the parts are there except for the wheels, which can be replaced if I don't find them. I can find other decals for it and instructions are a parchment yellow. The box was growing some kind of weird fungus and thrown out - the old box art was for the 'Smithsonian'. Talk about starting on the back foot. Still - can't complain it's not a challenge.

 

Welcome to the GB Ian! Now, why does this scenario sound familiar? :)

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure we didn't get these kits from the same guy?

 

Anyway - here's the someone started 2% then gave up shot.

 

post-4444-1222854685.jpg

 

And here's the other Martlet option of the same kit, so this is what it can be - so I know it has potential.

 

post-4444-1222854782.jpg

 

 

Tonights start is the usual looking at the cockpit - 4 pieces will assemble the cockpit tub including instrument panel and pilot stick, all very basic. A pilot will be added (thanks to Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire kit) with minor alterations. Seeing it's so simple an assembly it's probably better shown after paint is applied - will be the usual interior green or zinc chromate colour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

post-4444-1222934652.jpg

 

Pit and pilot - glued

 

 

post-4444-1222934685.jpg

 

Nato Black was applied to all interior surfaces then oversprayed with a Tamiya interior green.

 

 

post-4444-1222934718.jpg

 

Interior green also used on the aircraft inner and where wing fold is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Engine was pulled out and looked at - quick brushing and let dry and on with a wash. Reasonable detail so I'll work with what I have to tidy it up.

 

post-4444-1223270585.jpg

 

Minor painting of the smaller details. Wiring still to be done - only minor but it does lift the detail with a bit of colour.

 

post-4444-1223270617.jpg

 

Brass tubing was inserted in the prop and engine hub - allows free turning and quick and easy removal. Rear blades to be filled and prop to be painted.

 

post-4444-1223270653.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hangertime,

If the Wildcat turns out half as well as your Martlet you've got another winner on your hands.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gregory - It looks as if I'm just overlooking most details - so this time (having done the Martlet) I know what will be seen and what won't. This time I'll concentrate on the exterior and wing fold area and not worry so much about internals.... which I did last time and ended up not seeing any of it when I closed it up. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving along on this.... the landing gear has to be the worst part - about 7 pieces all warped and bent. Each piece had to be flattened with a book or twisted back into shape before gluing each part separately. Once complete - that has to be the worst part (so far) over.

post-4444-1223965224.jpg

 

 

 

Dry fit of gear onto bulkhead. Still need to do the instrument panel so that will be next before adding in pilot and putting fuselage together.

post-4444-1223965259.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's not fun - but I do enjoy the kit - it's the condition it's in that presents problems.

 

Engine, cockpit and landing gear put into place for the gluing of fuselage halves.

post-4444-1224926240.jpg

 

 

Dry fit - nearly ready to put together.

post-4444-1224926296.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Ian,

 

How goes the project? I've been looking forward to seeing what's next!

 

 

Well, I'm hanging in there (hence name) but I'm disappointed that the plastic is so brittle. I've had breakages with the wing hinges so it'll either be a wings folded or a ... hey.. there's a DC3 flying aroun doutside. Ok - shows over nice sound - dark blue fin with yellow stars on it - civvie job.

 

Back to the kit - parts broken so wings will have to be fully folded or extended. I've been gluing top and bottom wing halves and sanding and fillings gaps in wings/fuselage. I'm afraid there's nothing exciting to post as it's all elbow work. When it's all sanded (hopefully next day or so - I can put up a pic then start looking at applying some paint... (hooray).

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...