LSP_Mike

It's raining Hawks

What a great idea for rigging the upper wing!

My congratulations for coming up with the technique.

That's what I like about this forum; I learn so much!

Stephen

Mike, Thanks for that bit. I had pondered opening one up, thinking it was a service bay, for upper wing controls. does the F4B4 have a similar apparatus? Do you have any piccies of the raft/enclosure?

Mike, Thanks for that bit. I had pondered opening one up, thinking it was a service bay, for upper wing controls. does the F4B4 have a similar apparatus? Do you have any piccies of the raft/enclosure?

Same thing on the F4B-4. Look outboard of the cabane struts: http://media.nasm.si.edu/webimages/highres/2005-15154h.jpg

:) Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

Work has resumed on the Hawk. Placement of 30+ year old decals is fun. Each of the fuselage decals broke when placed, and I used my opti-visor, and wet brush to very carefully align them. In all the excitment, I never noticed that there is no decal for my A/C! So I robbed one from another kit, which does the top wing, and sides.

bf2reardecals.jpg

here is a general view of the front end. Wheels go on tonite, and the interior of the cowl needs cleaning up, and paint. The real drag is that the cowl is in 2 halves, and cannot be put on after ass'y. So, it needs to be trued, painted, and then glued up as a finished unit. The prop needs a lot of attention also; middle 1/3 is black, and the rest polished metal, with tri-color tips.

bf2frontdecals.jpg

Here is the bottom, showing markings, and various panels. The bombs will go on after completion. So will the other half of the tail. It's easier to decal without the tail on. All of the rigging wires have had teeny tiny fairings done with Gators Glue, which requires a little touch-up paint.

bf2bottom.jpg

All of the rigging wires have had teeny tiny fairings done with Gators Glue, which requires a little touch-up paint.

bf2bottom.jpg

Mos' excellent work, Mike! What's "Gator Glue?" My F4B-4 also has those fairings on at least one set of wires, and I hadn't decided how to replicate them in this scale.

:rolleyes: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

Les, Gator glue is sold by Kenny, who runs Gator masks. http://www.gatorsmask.com

Great stuff, and what I'm using for more of my PE work, as it sets quickly, butnot instantly, is strong, and just a little flexible, and won't eat my fishing line I'm rigging with.

Here is a real simple base I'm doing for the Hawk. The ramp at North island was just a large rectangle of concrete. Painted black, then 3 applications of Humbrol "concrete". I just overlapped the masking tape to simulate the control lines. This will get some dry brushed white to lighten it up. I'll add oil stains as well. I'll also block sand the beveled edge, and maybe color the lip with some black, just to make the edges pop a little. I'm just trying simple bases for the first time.

bf2base.jpg

A mock-up. The cowl and wheels are just stuck on.

bf2mockup1.jpg

....and a rear view. The tail is rigged with fine piano wire. Not visible is the castored tailwheel. The bird has been sprayed w/ semi-gloss lacquer, so she's all sealed up.

bf2mockup2.jpg

Hey Mike,

looks great. The base is also very promissing.

I kind of thing that those simple dio or base add a lot to models.

Cheers,

Loic

A couple of pics showing some progress:

bf2-base2.jpg

The Hawk is pinned to the base, and will be finished from here, but may be adjusted slightly. Prop,sliding canopy, antenna, and oil stains on the ground. The base got some black trim with a marker pen, and some clean up-that's it. As usual, comments, and critisicims welcome.

bf2-base1.jpg

A couple of pics showing some progress:

bf2-base2.jpg

The Hawk is pinned to the base, and will be finished from here, but may be adjusted slightly. Prop,sliding canopy, antenna, and oil stains on the ground. The base got some black trim with a marker pen, and some clean up-that's it. As usual, comments, and critisicims welcome.

bf2-base1.jpg

Mos' excellent work, Mike!

Hope to have pix of my completed F4B-4 up by the weekend. My son's band is recording their first CD in my home until Friday and access to my office is, um, limited.... :lol:

:blink: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

Thanks Les, There are few planes as attractive as the yellowwings biplanes, and I hope to capture a little of that look. It's great to see the work of others from the same era; they seem to really stand out.

The finished Bf2c-1. If you crewed aboard USS Ranger, In San Diego, 1935, this is what they flew. Base is from a pic at NAS North Island, where Ranger was homeported. This is no contest winner, but hopefully helps capture the look and feel of those days. The base is from an old plaque, and the oil stains are black paint, with some black marker pen added to try to change it up, and provide depth. If you look carefully, there is a semi-circle where an oil can was set down. I may still add some lettering to the base. At any rate she's finished, and can be moved to the completed builds section.

finishedbf2-3.jpg

another view.

finishedbf2-2.jpg

continuing the walk-around:

finishedbf2-4.jpg

and the last one.

finishbf2-1.jpg