Jump to content
LSP_Mike

It's raining Hawks

Recommended Posts

Here is another shot of the opposite side. Generic levers, which get control rods, green mapcase, O2 bottle on floor(which gets a guage on the little dot), and fuel tank pressurization pump. My beer can seat, and in the other pic, you can just see the lap belts. The brown blob is my first ever milliput headrest.

finishedpit-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the dashboard. I annotated the instructions, based on the DVD that Skyhawk sent me; this is pretty close, I think. I punched Mike Grant generic decals, and set them. The white blobs are punched .010 plastic, set in generic bezels. On the real plane, they do something. I'll add another petcock looking thing on the right, set the rest of the bezels, and seal the entire ass'y. This will glue into the hood, and attach quite firmly, then the rudder pedal stuff will hang from this. I have more generic pedals, and am working on that also. When done, I'll get a snap of that, before the fuse is closed up. This is a simple 'pit, but I'm trying to makeit look just busy enough.

bf2cdash.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on the cockpit detailing! Makes me really wish I'd put a bit more work into mine before sticking the fuselage together :)

The box-stock instrument panel is pretty good IMHO (though yours is certainly an improvement) but your additions to the sidewall detail really transform things, not to mention the scale-thickness metal seat (I don't know how many inches the kit seat thickness scales out at...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a shot of the finished dash; it needs an application of crystal clear, but glues in tomorrow. I seem to take really crappy pics. :) I wish I had a super tulip! :o Waldron bezels, and some paint for yellow/red line indicators.

finisheddash.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a general view of the action in Hawk land. The lower wings went on with nary a hitch. A light pass w/ a 220g sanding stick to give a little tooth to the mating surfaces,and that's it. Some light filling around the headrest, and a little scribing, glue up the top, and bottom, and ready for paint. The engine is in the shop, getting wired, and will go on last.

bf2clowerwing.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kev, Yeah, that is my intention, but I want to airbrush this one, so we'll see. Thanks to everyone else for their encouraging comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the paint shop! I brushed testors Aluminum on the fuse, and lower wings last night. This morning, I airbrushed some grey, and shot the tail w/ Testors "beret green", which is a nice green. Specs calls out willow green, but this is close enough for me. I'm considering adding the lower 1/2 of the top wing, and rigging it, then glueing on the upper 1/2. That way, I can add the lines as I go, and control the tension.The lower half will be pre-painted, and the bottom wing looks pretty accessible w/ a brush. The upper half can be pre-painted as well. I want to get the danged 'ol rigging lines out of the way, and that's what I came up with.

bf2c-paint.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last one for the day. This is my hawk, with the upper wing attached, and drawing the interior rigging thru the pre-drilled holes. I pull as tight as I feel, and tape the lines down, and glue with gators glue. Tomorrow, I nip off the ends, and move on to the next set. I also masked and painted the fuse stripe, and have settled on "blue" flight. I cut and sprayed the upper wing chevron at the same time. The interior has 6 struts, and this kit fits like a dream; I lined up the pins, and dibbled some tamiya x-thin, and man it is solid! I prepainted the underside of the upper wing as well. This will set overnite, to cure, and onto the outer rigging manana. Outer rigging and struts all at one time.( I hope!) sorry aboot the cluttered pic, thats my bench, with the Dingo, and Hawk both in progress. I use the tulip.

bf2cupperwingstart.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A wee update: I've rigged the bird, and the first part of the plan went off well. I cleaned up the struts, fit the lower 1/2 of the upper wing(see pic above) I then added the outer struts, and when glue dry, fished all the rigging thru the appropriate holes. This was pulled taut, and glued with Gators glue. Tension was applied w/ tape, to keep it all tight. One detail to consider: be precise about the holes, and angle them towards the rigging point. This prevents the lines from having a "bow" or curve at the origination or destination point. All the rigging is painted "steel" color, and 2 sessions should be good. I sprayed the upper wing half jellow, and that needs to cure. Some detail painting on the wings tomorrow, and I'll get up a pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...