Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EPinniger

Heinkel He162 Salamander/Volksjager

Recommended Posts

f1.jpg

 

f2.jpg

 

f3.jpg

 

The He162 is now complete and ready for painting. The nose pitot tube has been replaced with one scratchbuilt from metal tube + wire. I hope this is OK - the new part is dimensionally near-identical to the original and didn't take any longer to make than it would have taken to clean up the plastic kit part - but it's a lot less fragile and vulnerable to damage! In fact I haven't glued it in place yet, so it can be temporarily removed when I paint the airframe.

I've already painted the first coat of RLM 78 so will post another update soon!

 

 

350soc1.jpg

 

350soc2.jpg

 

350soc3.jpg

 

Just for fun, here's a "SSP" - in a very small scale! - which I've recently finished. It's a Curtiss SOC Seagull in 1/350 scale, from Trumpeter's 1/350 cruiser USS San Francisco kit. The kit has two of these in the box - I built one to put on the ship, OOB other than a PE propeller, and this one as a standalone model. It has scratchbuilt wing struts, styrene rod depth charges on racks made from PE scrap, and a PE machinegun in the hollowed-out rear cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kit includes 3 decal options, I picked an aircraft of 3/JG1 "Oesau" flown by Emil Demuth. This has a red/white/black striped nose which will be a tricky job to paint even with the decal strips included! (I've never had much success trying to mask tapering shapes like this) Revell's paint scheme shows the engine painted in RLM 81, but after reading through some magazine articles it looks like the whole upper airframe of this aircraft was RLM 82.

 

g1.jpg

 

g2.jpg

 

Here are a couple of photos showing the first stage of painting. I used Lifecolor RLM78 and Revell Greenish Grey acrylics for the 2 main colours. The engine intake is painted white as a base coat for yellow, and the nose is roughly painted white - I'll retouch it when the decal demarcation lines for the stripes are in place.

If the colours look too light it's probably because they're "washed out" by poor lighting - I'll take some decent-quality photos when the model is complete!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

h1.jpg

 

h2.jpg

 

Detail painting complete and ready for decals + weathering! The nose stripes were painted after applying the decals as demarcation lines. I've also fitted the nose pitot tube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i1.jpg

 

i2.jpg

 

Decals in place. All of the decals (including the red markers on the trim tabs) went on flawlessly with no silvering. The varnish (supposedly matt) will require retouching around the wing crosses. Weathering is the next and final step in the build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really great!!

 

You're making an impressive build of a very challenged kit. Just the point of this GB! It's almost making me consider buying one....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Heinkel, you're doing a great job.

 

Co-incidentally, I just bought a box of Trumpeter Seagulls to put on my 1/350, pre-1940, Arizona. They look like nice little kits.

Well done.

 

Keith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the finished article! I completed it a couple of days ago, but only got round to taking the photos today (just in time for the deadline)

 

he162_1.jpg

 

he162_2.jpg

 

he162_3.jpg

 

he162_4.jpg

 

he162_5.jpg

 

he162_6.jpg

 

It's unlikely any He162s were in operational service long enough to get much noticeable weathering, so unless you're building a post-war Allied evaluation aircraft, worn, chipped and faded paint wouldn't look right. However, these aircraft were operating in less than ideal conditions, probably with limited time and resources for maintenance, and most likely weren't painted and finished to a particularly good standard. So I decided to go for a slightly grimy, shabby look, with minimal paint wear and exhaust marks, to represent a fairly new aircraft which had been operating in rough conditions without much maintenance. I don't know how accurate this is but I like the finished look!

 

I used a thin black oil wash to highlight the panel lines; this gave just enough visual "texture" to the airframe to give a convincing appearance. I added light soot marks around the jet exhaust and also drybrushed the same colour very lightly in streaks running back from the leading edges of the wings and fins. Finally, I used a silver pencil to add some very small paint chips around the cockpit edge, fuel caps, and a few panel edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he162_7.jpg

 

he162_8.jpg

 

he162_9.jpg

 

he162_10.jpg

 

he162_11.jpg

 

he162_12.jpg

 

 

Overall, I'm very pleased with the finished model; the Revell kit builds a great model OOB and even if I weren't building this for the Box Stock GB, I still don't think I'd have added anything extra, whether aftermarket or scratchbuilt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×