Sign in to follow this  
EPinniger

Heinkel He162 Salamander/Volksjager

162kit.jpg

This is my choice for the Box Stock GB, Revell's Heinkel He162 Salamander "Volksjager". Although it can be improved in some areas (such as the engine) this is a really nice kit which should look great built out of the box.

I won't be starting work on this until I've finished the 1/48 Lockheed U-2 currently on my workbench (along with the 1/32 Curtiss BF2C) or at least got it to the painting/weathering stage, which should take a week or so.

Now the Curtiss BF2C-1 for the Carrier GB is finished, I've finally made a start on the "Volksjager". Here's the result of a day's work:

a1.jpg

Fuselage halves with lead scrap added to the nose, to (hopefully) prevent tail-sitting. The instructions recommend about 45g, which is completely inadequate - I used nearly 200g, which should do the job.

a2.jpg

Flying surfaces.

a3.jpg

Undercarriage.

a4.jpg

Cockpit interior. I've removed the moulded-on seatbelts to replace with PE later.

This seems to be a very straightforward + easy kit to build, without many parts, but painting the complex + highly visible cockpit interior and wheel wells will be a challenge! The interior detail parts very nicely detailed and moulded, and should look great OOB with a good paint + weathering job.

That looks like a nice little kit. I keep bypassing the one at the LHS. Not anymore.

200g??? Jeeeeez, I hope it doesn't drag it's tail!

Good luck,

Matt

b1.jpg

The cockpit interior is painted, then given a black wash followed by a dry-brush of lighter grey to bring out the detail. Actual weathering (which I added later) is restricted to a bit of scuffed paint on the seat and rudder pedals, as I don't think any He162s (other than the captured ones evaluated by the Allies?) would have been in service long enough to get much weathering.

I used Revell acrylic "Mouse Grey" to represent RLM 02 (a fairly close match) and "Gunship Grey" for RLM 66; the latter is a bit lighter than it should be (Revell "Tank Grey" is a closer match) but I decided on a lighter colour to make the rather small + cramped cockpit interior more visible.

b2.jpg

Detail painting added. I found a build article in a copy of "Model Airplane International" with photos of the interior of the He162 preserved in the US National Air & Space Museum, which I used for colour reference. Some of the colours are surprising, such as the red panels and blue markings on the control (undercarriage lever?) on the right-hand sidewall. I couldn't find any photos of the instrument panel, but from looking at other built models, it appears that it was RLM 02 with the instruments in black.

b3.jpg

The assembled engine. Painting this will be a tricky job!

Daaang! :rolleyes: I'm with Matt, always walked by this kit cause I figured it was crude. Can't believe the detail, and how well it looks OOB. Hmmmm. Doing a great job as usual! Can't wait to see the next progress pics. Russ

c1.jpg

PE seatbelts (Eduard) added. These are annoyingly tricky to assemble as they are made up of about a dozen tiny parts, but look nice when finished (pre-painted belts with metal buckles and clips) and are fairly inexpensive. I've also added the several small decals which need to be applied to the cockpit interior before fitting the fuselage halves together.

I moved the nose wheel well to the same side as the seat, as it's it almost impossible to fit the fuselage halves together when they are glued on seperate sides (don't know why I didn't do this in the first place)

c2.jpg

The undercarriage legs and wheels, painted and washed (a small amount of weathering will be added later to the tyres + lower part of the legs)

c3.jpg

The main wheel well, like the cockpit, has a lot of detail which just needs painting + washing to bring out. I couldn't find any photographic references for this area so just guessed on the colour of the wiring + other parts.

PE seatbelts (Eduard) added. These are annoyingly tricky to assemble as they are made up of about a dozen tiny parts, but look nice when finished (pre-painted belts with metal buckles and clips) and are fairly inexpensive.

PE seat belts? Added?? Box Stock??? post-3154-1227312116.gif

Straight to your room after dinner and no video games, either!

PE seat belts? Added?? Box Stock???

The only rules:

[*]Must be less than 100% complete at the start of the build.

[*]Only belts/harnesses and decals are allowed from the aftermarket.

[*]MINOR additions such as ignition wires can be added.

Sorry - I assumed from the above that adding belts + buckles was allowed! Not being a major user of aftermarket parts anyway, I probably wouldn't have bothered with them (the kit has half-decent moulded belts on the seat) but as I'd got the Eduard PE set cheap I wanted to try it out; this is the first time I've actually used PE belts on a 1/32 build, rather than scratchbuilt ones made from tape and styrene bits.

The only "aftermarket" parts I'm intending to use in the build are the belts and a couple of swastika decals from the spares box (the kit sheet doesn't have any). I had also thought of replacing the nose pitot tube and under-fuselage aerial with a couple of bits of wire, as the plastic parts look extremely fragile. Is this allowed under the third rule?

Anyway, here's my current progress:

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Once the interior is painted, everything goes together very quickly. The parts fit extremely well - I only needed to use a tiny amount of filler, mostly around the nose and lower forward fuselage. The wing and tailplane joins are designed so that they don't need any bracing/clamping to keep them at the correct angle whilst the glue sets.

d3.jpg

The only "weak point" of the kit - in more ways than one - is the main undercarriage legs; firstly, it's a tricky job getting the legs at the right angle (despite there being two attachment pegs on each one) and there aren't any profile drawings in the instructions to show the correct angle. Secondly, the join between the wheels and legs is very weak; the peg holding the wheels on will twist off unless handled very carefully. I ended up clamping and gluing the wheels to the legs so that they are glued to the tyre as well as the wheel hub, which gives a much stronger join but also results in the wheels being at slightly the wrong angle. A better approach would have been to replace the flimsy plastic peg with a brass one; with hindsight this is probably what I should have done in the first place.

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

The engine. I used various build articles in modelling magazines as reference for painting, as I didn't have any photos of the real thing. According to reviews this isn't very accurate or detailed - but it looks pretty good to me. I used various drybrushed metallic paints on a matt black basecoat, followed by an oil wash in some areas.

Sorry - I assumed from the above that adding belts + buckles was allowed! Not being a major user of aftermarket parts anyway, I probably wouldn't have bothered with them (the kit has half-decent moulded belts on the seat) but as I'd got the Eduard PE set cheap I wanted to try it out; this is the first time I've actually used PE belts on a 1/32 build, rather than scratchbuilt ones made from tape and styrene bits.

The only "aftermarket" parts I'm intending to use in the build are the belts and a couple of swastika decals from the spares box (the kit sheet doesn't have any). I had also thought of replacing the nose pitot tube and under-fuselage aerial with a couple of bits of wire, as the plastic parts look extremely fragile. Is this allowed under the third rule?

Anyway, here's my current progress:

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Once the interior is painted, everything goes together very quickly. The parts fit extremely well - I only needed to use a tiny amount of filler, mostly around the nose and lower forward fuselage. The wing and tailplane joins are designed so that they don't need any bracing/clamping to keep them at the correct angle whilst the glue sets.

d3.jpg

The only "weak point" of the kit - in more ways than one - is the main undercarriage legs; firstly, it's a tricky job getting the legs at the right angle (despite there being two attachment pegs on each one) and there aren't any profile drawings in the instructions to show the correct angle. Secondly, the join between the wheels and legs is very weak; the peg holding the wheels on will twist off unless handled very carefully. I ended up clamping and gluing the wheels to the legs so that they are glued to the tyre as well as the wheel hub, which gives a much stronger join but also results in the wheels being at slightly the wrong angle. A better approach would have been to replace the flimsy plastic peg with a brass one; with hindsight this is probably what I should have done in the first place.

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

The engine. I used various build articles in modelling magazines as reference for painting, as I didn't have any photos of the real thing. According to reviews this isn't very accurate or detailed - but it looks pretty good to me. I used various drybrushed metallic paints on a matt black basecoat, followed by an oil wash in some areas.

You're right! I forgot I said that about the belts. I was only play-scolding anyway....

Really impressive work you're doing with this build!

e1.jpg

One of the gun bays has a removable cover, with the interior detail represented by a single-piece moulded insert. Again, not having any photos I don't know how accurate it is, but it looks fairly good when painted. It can be displayed permanently open with a strut holding the cover in place, but the cover "push-fits" if you're careful not to sand the edges too much, so this is what I did.

The 20mm gun barrels have been drilled out. The gun ports in the fuselage also needed a bit of opening up with a needle file to allow the barrels to fit.

e2.jpg

The wheel bay covers are also in place. The covers for the main wheel bay are a bit tricky, they won't stay in place unless the supporting struts are positioned exactly right.

e3.jpg

The engine covers seem to have been designed to be displayed in the open position. Assembling them closed requires a bit of careful sanding to get them to fit properly. I decided to have one side glued in place and the other "push-fit" and removable so that the engine detail isn't permanently hidden.

e4.jpg

The final addition to the cockpit (other than the canopy!) is the gunsight. This is a clear moulded part, I painted everything except the sight reticle itself.

I never really liked the look of these but, I have to say, you're making an impressive job of it!

Sign in to follow this