1/24th Scale BF-109 G-6

ruzlkampf

Oh Whoa. Much like the sun, the landing gear on the ME-109 slowly sinks into the West. :lol: This is why I kinda lost momentum on this project. A few more degrees everytime I happen to glance over at it. Not terminal, as I can chop-drill-peg them back to correct....and it seems to have stabilized here, but meh. :angry:

I'm sure that between now and the deadline, I'll get a bee in my bonnet and finish it. But there it sits forlornly. Perilously close to BB gun bait. sigh. Red line is angle things should be methinks.

post-4413-1224669420.jpg

Buwhaaaww, OK. <_< Just got the surgical tools Dr. Russ is going to need to take this thing out at the knees. 5-thou PE razor saw blades. Wheeew yes, ...that's the ticket! Didn't really need these for hacking, uhm, I mean surgically removing, the LG, but nothing like some shiney new pointy sharp tools for getting the motivation back under reins again. :rolleyes:

post-4413-1224923157.jpg

Ah, I had no idea that Airwaves sold those. Mine are from the Hasegawa Try-Tool set, but they don't really have the fitting to insert them into a hobby knife. Looks like another tool purchase coming up for me! Hannants, I believe?

Kev

Mumble, grumble, snarl...okay, this fuddpucker is goin under the knife for a re-align/re-define of it's gear. :) Hopefully I can get this done by the end of the weekend, cause I gotta NEW project that's supposed to be here in the mail on Monday! Happy Dance! :) I've been looking at this gear, and the tire/wheel axle is much too far away from the oleo. I don't think it'll be considered a mod if I cut the axle back about 2mm. Pics of that tomorrow. Gotta go to bed early tonight, cuz I'm going for a ride on a Piper Cub tomorrow! whoohoo. More pics as things re-progress. Russ

post-4413-1225625517.jpg

Forgive me Dave, if I have sinned. :o !!!! I'm into a 'grey' area of being OOB. Trumpeter has giveth, and Russ hath taketh away. Not adding details, but removing 2mm here, and 2mm there. Looking at the landing gear before popping it off for 'repairs', I noticed it was also a bit long and 'stalky' looking OOB. Tires/wheels stick out too far on their axles also.

Here's what I've done. After scaling out the oleo legs using 'rithmatic' and doing some 'cipherings', I found them the correct length. hmmmm, that ain't it. More hmmming, and hawwwwing found the culprit,...EUREKA! :) The stubs in the wings the gear attach to, are too....uhm, 'pronounced'. Not by much, ooh no my Precious,... but enough to make the gear appear too long. Pics of the oleo leg mods. snip/snip

post-4413-1225683311.jpg

Here's the culprit(s). :) Also a weak link in the strength of the gear, and why mine sagged. The bevel on the top of the oleo, and on these 'posts' they attach to don't match. That's why Gustav sagged to a certain point and stabilized at these 'off angles'. Also, these posts stick out too far, making the gear appear to long after assembly. Tricksessss, Trumpeter.

So I've re-done the bevel, and whittled these posts down to an acceptable level.(which I had to do anyway cuz I chopped em off!) Off for some 'steak 'n eggs'....then back to putting metal posts drilled into this gear for re-installation tonight.

More pics as things progress, Russ

post-4413-1225684307.jpg

Thanks Dave! :D Got everything drilled, and pegged with a STEEL rod. Used 5-minute epoxy to give me enough time to get it the way I wanted, and enough strength to arm wrestle a Russian tank. YES! Never had a landing gear sag on me before....so I uhm, over-engineered it a bit. :P Here's pics of me giddy with excitement taking it off the bottles it's been sitting on for the last 2 days.

post-4413-1225800615.jpg

Now to see how the stance looks on the ground. :ph34r:

Another view. This cloud did have ONE silver lining though. I think I might've got my LG doors reversed originally(or..they might be wrong now...dunno? :D ) Really must learn to read deeerections in the future, but as ScanManDan has so eloquently put it....they're for the weak. heh heh. Onto the weathering,..AGAIN! whoohoo.

post-4413-1225801206.jpg

More pics as things progress. Russ