1/24th Scale BF-109 G-6

ruzlkampf

Don't know if the real plane had the 'waves' on the wing leading edge, but I think they look cool so this one has them. Dang, it needs a spiral on 'der snozzle' bad. Gotta wait to put my markings on before I finish the camo, as certain mottling depends on where they are. I'll be printing up my 'yellow 6' and a few assorted what-nots I don't have tomorrow at work. REALLY tempted to put the devils head on both sides of the nose, so I'll make a few extra reversed ones for that side just in case.

post-4413-1222668306.jpg

This AC also had the 'solid' pilots armor, and not the Galland panzer clear. But in keeping with the OOB theme of this GB, I'm going to put this one on after painting it. Still got lots to do on this camo and weathering, but at least it's looking like a 109 now. Let's see, I've been working on this for a week now, and I'm too close to stop work on it and divert to the pancake. Heck, it's just getting interesting! :rolleyes: So...methinks I'll work on it awhile longer. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1222668823.jpg

Great work Russ!!

I'm gonna have to get me some pizza and beer!!! I've been working on my F-16 for two weeks now and aside from getting a handful of parts together and the jet engine front painted, all I've managed to do is discover that I really need a proper camera!!

Anyway, I've really been enjoying your build of this '109!

Ted Barrett

Thanks guys! I'm still working on the 'camera thing' myself, Ted. I never dealt with a digital camera until I joined this forum in April, and I still haven't got the technique or lighting down. :rolleyes: Alas. Actually, I haven't got the 'making-my-own-decals' thing down pat yet either. As can be seen, my color printer ate my decal paper and left it a bit rumpled. Still usable, but aesthetically less than optimal. Oh yeah Matt, I have a color copy scanned tonight of the 'seahorse emblem' used for the 'carrier 109' if you're interested?

I got the wingroot/exhaust area black put on this critter as soon as I got home from 'work'.(okay, so I spent most of the time designing and printing decals :rolleyes: ) Couldn't resist showing what they look like in the 'raw' before cutting out and applying. I'm anxiously waiting for my gloss-coat to dry even as I type, cause I want to see what this'll look like with basic markings on it. Here's a pic before I airbrushed my latest 'witches brew' of acrylic gloss. Still working on an ultimate mix for this, as I'm slowly working away from enamels for my top-coats and weathering. I like how these dry quickly.

post-4413-1222765832.jpg

I might be able to get some more pics in tonight, as i think it's just about dry enough to handle. Russ

A little bit further along. Got some markings on it now, and squinting at it to see how far I'm going to go with the weathering. Hmmm, guess I'll wait until I get more decals on it. I made the yellow on the 6 decal not as 'bright' as the yellow paint, cause I plan on knocking that brand new yellow look way down. Hopefully I can get it to match somewhat?

post-4413-1222848820.jpg

Other side without the yellow 6. Really need to get this on it's gear so I don't have to keep putting it in a box for pics! :) Darn thing is pretty big in this scale, and I'm not sure how robust the gear will be for everyday handling? We'll see.

post-4413-1222848916.jpg

Aaaach, way too shiney and clean. :P Going to have to re-print my yellow 6 decals, cause i don't like the width of the black border. Needs to be a bit more pronounced methinks. This was a test to see if the yellow was the shade I envision it to be. The yellow tail and cowl underside are not quite as brite or lite as they appear in these pics, I'm just trying a new exposure setting. Hmmm, still tinkering. More pics as things progress. Russ

post-4413-1222849181.jpg

quote:

"Looks great Russ!

You sure are making quick work of it..."

Hey Dave, considering you are the GB master and looking at Russ's "way of building" kits (speed + quality), I seriously suggest you asign Russ for an anti-dopping control: this guys must take some serious substances like EPO, steroids, kreatine or even stronger stuffs (only god and the shadow know) ;) :P

This said, the results is really outstanding...

Cheers,

Loic

Yeah Jamie, I'm looking forward to knocking the sheen off this thing! Not too much longer now. Matt coat usually changes some colors a bit too, so I'm working on getting all my yellows to 1/2 way match up. Heres my 2nd attempt at a 'yellow 6' with a thicker black border. I ended up just painting the border 'freehand' on my decal sheet and applying it like that.

Got my gear and drop-tank, and other assorted bits put on now. Almost time to weather everything out. Just a little more to paint and I can go to town on it. "Pancakes' waiting to be finished, so I plan on having this done this weekend.

post-4413-1222947530.jpg