Hasegawa/Revell P-51 B

Ironwing

Looking into the pit with the wing in place. In reality the pit floor wirl sit above the actual skin. The forward firewall/bulkhead is in place. Tabs have to be added to the backside to give a surface to use for gluing. Its on of the things you have to do when working in aluminum.

Im thinking Im going to take that bulkhead out and refit a new wider one. All of the internal structures will have to be made from ABS first, fitted and transfered to aluminum sheet. This is to avoid damaging the face of the aluminum skin.

Thats it for the state of the B. Work continues...

Hope all are well...Seasons Greetings...

Best,

Geoff

post-1406-1229266248.jpg

Brian,

I know what you mean about attaching things. It can be a real pain. Not unlike painting on markings, once you begin to use this stuff, it's difficukt to use plastic for many things, especially when scale thickness is too thin for the plastic sheet. The aluminum gives the thickness and strength at the same time.

Im glad you look in...thanks old friend. When is that 262 coming out for pics? Cant wait to see it...

Best,

Geoff

Top side view of the upper wing and how the new skins meet in the center. The space between them is need to accept the center rib which forms the two well at their center boundary. It needs to be spot on in fit. Believe me when I say. The aluminum, for all its great points, is unforgiving when it comes to fit. Sanding isnt possible without destroying the finish.

What a nice birthday present you have given me, Geoff! NMF wheel wells for my 50th!

This work is fabulous. I am really looking to give some metal bending a try. I actually made PE parts, so I can do it. :)

Chris...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Rig,

Sorry to report there has been no progress on this front. Ive gotten involved in the Airfix D and become completely engrossed. In parallel, Im going to start converting the Airfix D into a B...are we nuts or what? :lol: Im waiting on drawings to start the fuse/wing work. The prop blades from the Trump 24th D kit have been reworked and the lower main gear sections have been redone. Ive just gotten the NAA spinner assemly drawings so I can start the spinner and fit the blades.

Stay tuned. Theres plenty more insanity to follow...

Best,

Geoff

Hi Doc,

Thanks for looking in. Good to see you have joined the 51 SIG. If the The 24th D goes well, I might just do another 24th Airfix and convert it to a B model. For the moment, the 32nd B is resting quietly and in good health. Ill be posting some picks soon of the 24th scale D. Its nice to work on something I can actually see!

Lower gear sections are done. Pretty much the same way I did the 32nd D struts but with more detail...IMO much more realistic. The spinner assembly and prop blades are about there. Was waiting on Charly Neely's drawings to arrive in order to finalize the spinner dimensions. The Airfix kit parts need some modification to make them right. The Trump spinner assembly is too far undersize in LOA (length over all) and diameter. I did use the Trump blades however and fit them to the Airfix spinner. They required a good deal of cutting and sanding to fix them in terms of shape. Overall prop diameter is good.

Best,

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Geoff whats new on this front ??? :unsure: as l am interested in seeing the differences between the D model you are doing and the B. Thanks for the link to the SIG P-51 group you gave me earlier. Looking here also answered my question about the differences between the D wheel well and the B

The Ironman is working on his"Magnum Opus" right now,a 1/24 P-51D from Airfix. He cannot be disturbed in his inner sanctum. Don't touch that curtain!! DON"T TOUCH THAT CURTAIN!!!! THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ HAS......... Oh ,sorry. Got carried away.

No really,he is into this 1/24 big'n now and it's really coming along.

JR