Hasegawa/Revell P-51 B

Ironwing

That's looking seriously good. I know what you mean about the guys on the P51 SIG. I joined it but I'm so far below their level on Mustang detail that I feel like a third grader talking to a bunch of Ph.D's. I've learned a heck of a lot from them but I'm still at elementary school level. That's definitely the place to go for all your Mustang questions. Besides, I see a lot of familiar names there.

Geoff,

Once again, a fantastic job in progress! I'll be watching closely like everyone else--really interested to see the build. Thanks, too, for the kind words regarding the P-51 SIG--much appreciated.

Silver Dollar,

Please don't hesitate to post on the SIG--everyone's questions are welcomed and helpful. I mod that site and feel the same way you do--no worries though--just enjoy. The membership is a really great bunch of guys and are more than happy to answer ANY level of question. Just remember, no one knew anything about the Mustang until they learned from someone. Hope to see you there--Best regards...

Jim

Silver Dollar,

Please don't hesitate to post on the SIG--everyone's questions are welcomed and helpful. I mod that site and feel the same way you do--no worries though--just enjoy. The membership is a really great bunch of guys and are more than happy to answer ANY level of question. Just remember, no one knew anything about the Mustang until they learned from someone. Hope to see you there--Best regards...

Jim

Thanks Jim. Will do. No matter what direction my interests are drawn, they're always drawn right back to the Mustangs. You just can't get away from them.

Hi Geoff,

Nice piece of work. You 've got as far as I got with my own kitbash. Looking forward how you are going to tackle that gap in the wingroot and keeping the proper airfoil, as I had no idea how to do that.

Cheers,

Hans

Ironwing,

Your conversion looks great! I am interested in seeing the work on the ELE, so PLEASE post pictures when you get there!

Also, you mentioned correcting the top of the D nose because the B is different. Is he top of the cowl on the Revell kit correct, and can it be used on the Hasegawa nose? Or is reshaping it with putty the better option (you see where I'm going with this... I'm a really challenged builder. The less of my own work the better!)

Anyway, again, great work!

Post more when you can!

Gary

Geoff,

Excellent project my friend.I'm following with much interest. Checked out the P-51 SIG then signed up.There's some amazing work posted there and IMHO you're in the same league as the best of them.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Geoff,

Nice piece of work. You 've got as far as I got with my own kitbash. Looking forward how you are going to tackle that gap in the wingroot and keeping the proper airfoil, as I had no idea how to do that.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans,

Working on a fix for the wing root issue. Fortunately, the Revell root and ELE is a darn close match to the Hasegawa root in curvature and depth. You can remove the forward part of the Revell root and use it to replace the forward portion of the Hasegawa ELE. It doesnt solve the entire root issue but I did it and it works and eliminates the need to deal with the curve in the wing root where it meets the fuselage. There will still need to be some filling to close the gap in the fuselage and a bit of the inboard LE but that shouldnt be a problem . Ill post pics shortly.

GVINCE,

Dont worry about the nose. Just use the Hasegawa as it is. Even the most learned (which I dont consider myself to be, I just got lucky) dont know there is a difference in the nose profile of the B&D. If you have an interest in Mustangs, join the SIG. It will be well worth your time.

Greg,

Glad to see you joined the SIG. The guys there are all top shelf. Photo updates will be coming soon. I need to finish the D before all else.

Thanks much for your interest guys. Youre all very encouraging.

Hope evryone is well...

Regards,

Geoff

I just took an easy way and cut the nose from the Hasegawa P-51D firewall forward and tacked it onto a Revell P-51B fuselage and wings.

then used various parts from the Hase D model and a JR Malcom hood and these after-market decals for Ding-Hao! Sanded the Hase spinner to blend into the Hase nose for a smoother look and came up with what looks to me a better P-51B MOH winner. (it took me a long time to find these decals and then Trumpeter comes out with a kit that uses the same markings. by the way i've seen photos of this aircraft with both types of canopies

I'm doing the same with another old P-51B and a monogram F-51D nose with the exhaust shrouds ground out so some moskit exhaust will show through for a "Shangri-La" P-51B.

I'm still working on that one as I am dropping the flaps, repositioning the rudder and elevators and fiddling with the moskit, and eduard details.

here is a photo of my frankenstein mustang.

post-791-1221432700.jpg