Hasegawa/Revell P-51 B

Ironwing

Greetings All,

This wasnt supposed to be a project. It started just as a fact finding mission and now has developed a life of its own. I dont need to go through a big long thing about the short comings of each kit. It's all been done ad nauseum. I will say this however, the two kits together (Hasegawa/Revell) are remarkably close in size and wing planform. So much so that the wings mate perfectly with each other and the fuselage halves are just as close. Putting the two together to make a reasonable B, I think, while having its challenges is a doable thing that anyone can do given enough time.

I know Jerry Rutman's B is the best B out there and probably always will be. But I just have to do this :) . Pics to follow...

The two grooves on the Haqsegawa fuselage (you cant miss them) define the cut lines to remove the upper portion of the fuselage. There are corresponding rivet lines on the Revell fuselage which you can follow to cut away the upper fuselage and tail section so it can be joined to the Hasegawa fuselage.

post-1406-1221248246.jpg

The profile of the upper cowling on the B & D are different. On the B, the firewall is approximately .950 higher than the D. There is also a sheet metal anomally which is at times visible, caused by the fact that the firewall is taller. I wouldnt worry about it. And you dont need to worry about the nose profile. I doubt anyone would mistake this for a Corsair. Making these chare are just my own neurosis at work.

The Revell windscreen is also at too great and angle. I figured I might as well change that too.

There is an entire discussion with drawings and tons of pics over on the 51SIG. If your going to try this. I suggest you have a look at this.

http://p51sig.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=421

post-1406-1221248722.jpg

Hey Rig,

If thats what you want to do...its all good! <_<

Geoff

True, but your way seem's to be a better route in the long run :D

p.s will you be casting any part's for this bird?

Another issue that needs to be dealt with is the wing. The wing of the B has some differences that should be addressed.

The span and cord are the same. Aside from small details, the two most obvious artifacts are the wheel well shape and the ELE or Extended Leading Edge. Thats the part that sticks out at ther wing root. Its much bigger on the D. I have drawings (Courtesy of Mr Charles Neeley) and will post them. Im not sure how the scanner thing works but Ill get it in here. Ive scanned other things and have yet to find where the computer put them :D .

Just the same, the Revell wing and the Hasegawa wing, with the exception of the ELE are a spot on fit for each other. Makes me wonder who copied who. <_<

This all all you have to do to to fit the trailing edge of the Revell wing to the Hasegawa fuselage.

post-1406-1221250222.jpg

The ventral intake here is from the Hasegawa D. It fits perfectly and holds the TE of the Revell wing snugly in place. Also, note the shape of the wheel well openings. This is correct. It suffers from the same problem with the main spar being improperly represented, as in all Mustang kits, but the shape of it is good.

The area where the Revell wing, at the ELE, will need to be rebuilt and feathered together.

post-1406-1221250693.jpg

The intersection of the ELE and fuselage. Using the Revell wing makes life alot easier by eliminating the need to modify the Hasegawa wing. It also eliminates the needs to reshape the Hasegawa well openings.

Thats about it for me. Its a start and no doubt will take time to complete. Im almost as slow as Cote but not quite. My plan is to finish the D and use this as a fill in.

Hope everyone is well,

Geoff

post-1406-1221251318.jpg

I have an idea about the B's wing. What about saving the Hase wing, but split it vertically along the main spar datum line, which would leave loads of room for making a detailed spar, then graft on the Revell kit's wing, from the spar datum line forward? Along the way an accurate B gear well opening would be possible? Of course, that would turn the wing into a four piece affair with the attendant complexities, but it could be possible to do it. Just a thought.

Great idea for the conversion! I only considered whacking the the Revell kit's nose off, and replaced with the Hase nose, but I think what you're doing is much better! BTW doesn't Squadron do a vacform canopy for the B? <_<

Astro,

Thank you for looking in. Im not sure if Squadron does a B canopy but Jerry Rutman does. Perhaps he would be willing to sell you one. I know the Revell canopy assembly is just a mess. Hence the rebuilding of it. I thought I would remove the canopy section from the fuselage and vac form the whole thing, inclusing part of the dorsal spine. As I get closer Ill let you know

Greg,

If you think Im the Mustang Man, you should visit the P51 SIG. Im like the local idiot over there. Those guys are real Mustang people. You need to join. It's a remarkable place with even more remarkabble people.

Kev,

Thanks. Much of the credit should go to the guys at the 51 SIG. They brought all this stuff to my attention with drawings and photos. Anyone with an interest in the Mustang needs to join.