Hasegawa/Revell P-51 B

Ironwing

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!.

The B has, in fact, been completely idle. Looks cool sitting there though. JR is right, the big Airfix D model has consumed every moment, and will no doubt gobble up much more of it. I want to see if I can take longer to bild a model than Jean Cote :lol: . I dont think I can do it but Im going to try. :D . The 32nd B looks soooo small sitting next to the 24th D...I love it. I like the "bigness" of the 24th scale. So easy to see! Even the fiddly bits are big.

Ill start posting the Airfix build shortly. Ive chronicaled every aspct of the build, especially the nose which it the bugger on all large scale Mustang kits. Ill also say that the rumor about the Airfix kit being the most accurate one available is true to only a certain extent. Ill cover the meaning of this wisdom :lol: in the thread and the book. Am I allowed to say that here? Anyway, I said it :lol: ...Stay tuned. There's more to come.

Hope everyone is well...

Best,

Geoff

I already talked to God, he said it was ok :lol:

Hi Rocky,

I gave the Trump kit a real hard look before trying to build it and felt it best to go with the Airfix kit which is being done strictly to the drawings which check out in scale dimensions. I did the math :lol:. Anyway, the Trump kit is unfortunately all over the place in terms of dimensions and mostly undersize in all aspects with the exception of the canopy assembly which is largely oversize but not incorrectly shaped.

The Airfix kit is very close to the Neely drawings in shape and dimension. That isnt to say that its spot on and doesnt need work. Believe me when I say it does. Thus far, new gear struts have been manufactured. New tires have been done with the oval tread pattern which you can get from JR. It took about a week to make the plug. If I remember correctly there are 127 pieces in the tire alone, all of which had to be individualy made. He also has the mold for the lower gear section to replace the Airfix or Trump kit part. The wing has been put right with the proper dihedral and the flaps have been removed. The overall shape of the wing is pretty good but still will need some tweaking. New exhaust shrouds have been manufactured. There is also a new spinner and new prop blades.

The fuselage has taken the majority of the effort thus far. The aft fuselage, just in front of the fin fillet, has been stretched (.060), the ventral intake has been reshaped, sized and lined with aluminum, windscreen raised and moved forward .060, and the nose from the firewall forward has been completely replaced. There are also new winscreen and canopy plugs for vacu-forming. The fuel dumps were taken from the Trump kit and installed in the Airfix. The carb air chin intake was also taken from the Trump kit but needed reshaping. A new floor has been fitted and the radiator assembly is in process along with other stuff. The fin and rudder have also been reshaped.

This is all preliminary work to get everything as it should be and ready for detailing. There is much more to do. Im planning on all aluminum wheel wells and flaps so the wing needs to be spot on before I begin that effort. The same holds true for the fuselage. There is so much work to be done on it, in terms of shape and dimension, any attempt to do any detailing would probably end up getting ruined in the process. Ill put all the problem areas and fixes in the thread I hope to start soon.

Thanks for looking in...

Best,

Geoff

I already talked to God, he said it was ok :lol:

Hi Rocky,

I gave the Trump kit a real hard look before trying to build it and felt it best to go with the Airfix kit which is being done strictly to the drawings which check out in scale dimensions. I did the math :lol:. Anyway, the Trump kit is unfortunately all over the place in terms of dimensions and mostly undersize in all aspects with the exception of the canopy assembly which is largely oversize but not incorrectly shaped.

The Airfi kit is very close to the Neely drawings in shape and dimension. That isnt to say that its spot on and doesnt need work. Believe me when I say it does. Thus far, new gear struts have been manufactured. New tires have been done with the oval tread pattern which you can get from JR. It took about a week to make the plug. If I remember correctly there are 127 pieces in the tire alone, all of which had to be individualy made. He also has the mold for the lower gear section to replace the Airfix or Trump kit part. The wing has been put right with the proper dihedral and the flaps have been removed. The overall shape of the wing is pretty good but still will need some tweaking. New exhaust shrouds have been manufactured. There is also a new spinner and new prop blades.

The fuselage has taken the majority of the effort thus far. The aft fuselage, just in front of the fin fillet, has been stretched (.060), the ventral intake has been reshaped, sized and lined with aluminum, windscreen raised and moved forward .060, and the nose from the firewall forward has been completely replaced. There are also new winscreen and canopy plugs for vacu-forming. The fuel dumps were taken from the Trump kit and installed in the Airfix. The carb air chin intake was also taken from the Trump kit but needed reshaping. A new floor has been fitted and the radiator assembly is in process along with other stuff. The fin and rudder have also been reshaped.

This is all preliminary work to get everything as it should be and ready for detailing. There is much more to do. Im planning on all aluminum wheel wells and flaps so the wing needs to be spot on before I begin that effort. The same holds true for the fuselage. There is so much work to be done on it, in terms of shape and dimension, any attempt to do any detailing would probably end up getting ruined in the process. Ill put all the problem areas and fixes in the thread I hope to start soon.

Thanks for looking in...

Best,

Geoff

Geoff,

This is why I only built 1/48 scale Mustangs in the past. Now I do not have enough megapixels left so I had to move on to 1/32 and 1/24. My great Uncle flew P-51 B's, C's and D's. His callsign was "Woody." Pm me if you want an explanation of that!

He joined the war early on and they pulled him out quickly due to his outstanding vision and natural ability to fly, or as he told me his "planesmanship." Yep, he was witty. He, according to him, flew just about every fighter plane the US had in inventory.

Woody hated the brass, mainly because they wanted him to train pilots and he wanted to fight. He was thoroughly pissed because he shot down four planes early on in the war. He wanted badly to be an ace.

He finally got his chance to fight again towards the end of the war. Strangely enough, he had great night vision. He flew a few missions in the P-61 and he made a name for himself yet again. He ended up training P-61 pilots, and he was pissed again.

After the war, he left as soon as he could. He wanted no part of training and no part of the jet age.

His favorite AC was the P-51C and he bought one in 50's for $11,000. He restored it and flew it long into his 60's.

He lived his final years in Arizona, doing what he called "mining" turquoise and chasing rattle snakes. A few of us suspected he was really hunting the rattlers as opposed to the turquoise.

Upon the reading of his will and the clearing of his "stash," the following occurred;

1. He left all of his WWII memorabilia to me, except the P-51C

2. He gave 80% of his money to a USAAF fund

3. He left my Grandmother the rest of his money

4. He left the plane to his kids! Yikes

My dad tried to buy the plane but he was not the high bidder. The kids did not care about history or their fathers legacy. The plane was supposedly sold to a collector for an undisclosed sum.

I ended up with the "Classified-Top Secret Recognition Manuals" and other great stuff. I cherish what he left me. When I first met Woody I was probably ten years old. I built a P-51B for him and my dad sent it to him. Woody called the house and he was ecstatic and so was my dad.

Lest we forget!

Sorry for the long post.

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

Your post is most welcome and I understand how you cherish the things left to you. The memories and artifacts of the time frame are quickly fading into obscurity. My mothers brother flew B-25's. He bought me my first model when I was about three or four; an old Aurora one O nine in red plastic. Ive been hooked on aircraft modeling ever since.

My uncle never spoke of his experiences, and I, unfortunately, never asked . Seems those guys didnt talk much about what happened to them. My father was the same way. He just did what he was told to do and managed to survive. Just by chance I happened to tour the Collings Foundations B-17 when it visited a local airport just a week ago. I couldnt help thinking about what it must have been like to be on a mission in one and what crews must have gone through. Certainly, knowing you had a morning mission in one of those things couldnt have been a good reason to get out of bed. But they did it just the same, the same way your uncle did along with so many others.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It's always interesting to hear from others that care to share ideas, thoughts and memories. Having just turned sixty, I understand well the megapixel problem. I must add however that even though the eyes arent what they were, I truely like twenty-forth scale now that Ive ventured into it. Many new possibilities present themselves along with miriad new issues to deal with and the detail possibilities are endless. i hope you comment more in the future. Its always good to hear from you...

Hope all is well...

Best,

Geoff

Dave,

It's cumin man - its cumin...patience grasshoppa :D

geoff

• 5 years later...