Hasegawa/Revell P-51 B

Ironwing

Greetings All,

Ive been splitting my time between the B and the D. I thought I would post some progress pics ...

As shown in the pic, the forward section of the Revell fuselage wing root was removed from the Revell kit and installed in the Hasegawa fuselage using the dimensions shown. The ensuing fit, while not perfect, is plenty close enough to make repair quite easy. I used the curve in the wing fillet as the primary alignment point to eliminate the need to repair/replace the curve. The splice was also done with the wing clamped/taped in place to ensure a good close fit.

I think it worked out pretty well and overcomes the need rework the LE of the Hasegawa wing which IMO, would be really really hard because of the way its shaped. Doing it this way does away with all of that and puts the proper size ELE in place.

post-1406-1221869785.jpg

Looking at the wing root LE. Not much of a gap to fill and the ELE is already corrected with no other surgery needed.

There might be a better way to do this. This method however, IMO, seemed to fill all the requirements with the least amount of fuss. The next effort will go into rebuilding the wing... for you fans of Montey Python.."and now for somethying completely different" Ill be back.

Hope everyone is well,

Regards,

Geoff

post-1406-1221870465.jpg

I have to say that the work you're doing here is so far over my head that I feel like I'm trying to learn a new language! Without a doubt you're going to end up with the 'definitive' Mustang when you're through, and I can't wait to see it.

This is an amazing and inspirational thread!

Dave

Excellent work very nice to see this approach - very different from mine.

You are going to attack the Revell wheel wells right?

After all the other work you are doing it just makes sense if I missed something I apologize about mentioning the wheel wells.

Found a Pic of the other mustang chop job the "Shangri-La" is on hold right now after converting the "Ding-Hao!" This one is a little more complicated.

This state shows it before the exhaust shrouds were removed for the Moskit un-shrouded exhaust....AND I just found that here is a new release of the Shangri-La decals!!!! - This one has the Monogram F-51D nose to be grafted while the Ding-Hao! has the Hasegawa nose. I will get back to this after I finish two or three other builds in progress - one thing that stopped me was the God awful red painted wheels for Gentile's plane.

Jon

post-791-1221874637.jpg

More encouragement Geoff

Here is the Hase/Revell Ding-Hao! top view much better looking nose than revell puny/pointy thing. This looks more like a b model to me too.

The nose really defines the "look"

Keep up the great work I can't wait to see your conversion approach.

Jon

post-791-1221875612.jpg

I just noticed you have two fuselages coverted now! One corrected canopy and cowling contour and now the one with the intersection fairing modded and the canopy area hacked out.

Looking for the pic of the P-51 in flight by Christian that Paul Budzik put the green line on, AAHHH!

Chris...

I have to say that the work you're doing here is so far over my head that I feel like I'm trying to learn a new language! Without a doubt you're going to end up with the 'definitive' Mustang when you're through, and I can't wait to see it.

This is an amazing and inspirational thread!

Dave

Dave,

Dont be silly. This isnt over youre head. I did a lousy job of explaing now that I look back at what I wrote. Youre more than capable of cutting out a piece of one fuselage and adding it to a different one. Just the same, thanks for looking in and your kind words

Geoff

Excellent work very nice to see this approach - very different from mine.

You are going to attack the Revell wheel wells right?

After all the other work you are doing it just makes sense if I missed something I apologize about mentioning the wheel wells.

Found a Pic of the other mustang chop job the "Shangri-La" is on hold right now after converting the "Ding-Hao!" This one is a little more complicated.

This state shows it before the exhaust shrouds were removed for the Moskit un-shrouded exhaust....AND I just found that here is a new release of the Shangri-La decals!!!! - This one has the Monogram F-51D nose to be grafted while the Ding-Hao! has the Hasegawa nose. I will get back to this after I finish two or three other builds in progress - one thing that stopped me was the God awful red painted wheels for Gentile's plane.

Jon

Jon,

Your B looks great. I hope mine comes out as good. I know what you mean about the rims on Gentiles airplane...hideous. :ph34r: Your support and interest is much apprciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff,

Time to call the monkey! You are outrageous to say the least. You should seriously consider documenting all of your and writing a book.

Rocky

That monkey, when I catch that little tree hugging thing Im gonna...never mind. I hope he didnt hear me write that... :ph34r:

I just noticed you have two fuselages coverted now! One corrected canopy and cowling contour and now the one with the intersection fairing modded and the canopy area hacked out.

Looking for the pic of the P-51 in flight by Christian that Paul Budzik put the green line on, AAHHH!

Chris...

Chris,

It's all the same fuselage just in different states of hackness. Just the same, it's always good to see your comments. Hows the wing?

Geoff

Your wing solution is awesome. very cool to transfer the one kits fairing to the other!

My nose filler operation will make you laugh, but I am determined to use that spinner you made me. Check it out on my Mantz thread, i added some pics last night.

I can't find that cool pic of the Mustang cowling inflight by Christian, did a bunch of posts get lost when transfered to the B model thread ot what!?

Chris...